Navy fine tuning

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Re: Navy fine tuning

Postby Ze_PilOt » 26 Jul 2012, 21:16

I quickly look the video from TA4Life, as expected, t3 navy only when the navy is already won.

I guess I will earn the "I want see a T3 naval fight on 3599, and all I've got is that laggy replay showing a missile ship" Tshirt. 30 min into the game, no trace of t3 navy yet.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Kryo » 26 Jul 2012, 21:26

i dont see how t3 navy is too strong or too fast. Its more expensive than t2, and has mainly a range advantage. A player putting the same resources in t2 navy and attacking earlier, should have an advantage.
Kryo
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Kryo

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 26 Jul 2012, 21:54

Ze_PilOt wrote:that 40x40 FFA map I forgot the name, ...

Gentleman's Reef
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby SeraphimLeftNut » 26 Jul 2012, 22:30

I didn't mean the sarcasm to be counter productive. I thought it would be useful for pointing out the obvious.
40x40 and larger maps shouldn't really be in the discussion, since they are almost never played since no matter what hardware you have you will have terrible lag, where units don't respond to move orders, making micro impossible(different than the regular -3 lag experienced on setons).

The question still stands, which maps are you attempting to bring this early t3 navy to?

What is wrong with having t3 navy, such as missile ship and battleships be the units that come in after a naval fight to capitalize on the naval victory?

To Kryo:
T3 navy has a massive health advantage, dps advantage as well as range advantage over t2 navy. It gives you much more for the same resources compared to t2 navy. Range specifically is a huge advantage in naval battles, compare the uef destroyer vs the cybran one. It is like comparing the striker tank to the aurora.
Kryo wrote:A player putting the same resources in t2 navy and attacking earlier, should have an advantage.

This is exactly what I am saying.

T2 navy is the tech level for navy where there is most diversity between factions in terms of, underwater, water, and air capabilities. It is really a beautiful thing, what is wrong with having t2 naval fights that go on for hours?
no ui lag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MdcVdL2kIY
I think this is going to be fun
SeraphimLeftNut
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 219 times
FAF User Name: TA4Life

Postby pip » 26 Jul 2012, 22:42

I just noticed you changed t3 buildtimes in 3616 official release.

Two remarks :
- I don't understand why Seraphim T3 sub (3000 mass, 4500 HP) should take as long to build as a battlecruiser (25200), especially since it was extremely nerfed already. Meanwhile, Aeon Missile ships, which are much more powerful (15000 HP, 200 range) still have only 16000 buildtime. Was it a mistake between the Atlantis (14400 buildtime) and the Seraphim t3 sub?
- Strat submarines energy cost stayed the same :(
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Ze_PilOt » 26 Jul 2012, 23:10

I changed the build time of subhunter at the same rate as other units. (before, buildtime of atlantis half a battleship, now, the same. Should be 14.400 actually).

I kept the missile ship the same as it's not a unit you use to fight, but use when you already won the navy.

All that can be tweaked later, again, no testers, has to release the patch as it is.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby pip » 26 Jul 2012, 23:21

Ze_PilOt wrote:I changed the build time of subhunter at the same rate as other units. (before, buildtime of atlantis half a battleship, now, the same. Should be 14.400 actually).

I kept the missile ship the same as it's not a unit you use to fight, but use when you already won the navy.

All that can be tweaked later, again, no testers, has to release the patch as it is.

14400 for t3 Subhunter and Atlantis is good, but t3 sub has 25200. I just watched your Seton's replay and the poor vmcsnekke had a lot of trouble building t3 sub :p

I think the other values are good, and I agree torrent ships are not as big a problem as Battlecruisers.

Lastly, Cybran would really benefit from less energy strat subs because their t3 sub is expensive but great at long range assault and it can defend itself well against other subs. Cybran strat subs would be great to help against shield boats for instance. It's a good unit without building nuke, it should not required a full t3 power just to be able to build one without the intent to build a nuke (and it's better than UEF and Aeon ones).
Last edited by pip on 26 Jul 2012, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Ze_PilOt » 26 Jul 2012, 23:23

Subhunter are a mistake, I changing that.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby SeraphimLeftNut » 26 Jul 2012, 23:40

I would like to agree with pip completely about the cybran t3 sub. Check out the seraphim t3 battleship cost and that is also a nuclear launcher. Cybran getting screwed here.
no ui lag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MdcVdL2kIY
I think this is going to be fun
SeraphimLeftNut
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 219 times
FAF User Name: TA4Life

Postby Softly » 27 Jul 2012, 00:19

SeraphimLeftNut wrote:Cybran getting screwed here.
The story of their life....

Also as far as the missile ship is concerned, it may be most often used when navy is already won, so possibly it should be balanced against the land countermeasures rather than other navy.

Although I won't pretend to have the slightest clue what to do with a naval force XD
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

PreviousNext

Return to FA Balance Discussions