So... Do fire beetles not suck yet?

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Re: Firebeetles improvements

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 08 May 2012, 08:11

Yes. This is also the same against fatboys. 100% agree with this ^^
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby pip » 08 May 2012, 08:31

Plasma_Wolf wrote:Pip, I've done a small test and (this might be just nitpicking) but firebeetles actually do self destruct at factories. They don't when attacking a paragon or Quantum gate though (the largest structures in the game). It got me to think that a maximum radius of 4 could be enough.

I had missed this post till Doompants quoted it. And Doompants is correct all the way.

I tested the unit a lot, and it depends on the direction the Firebeetles come from. Maximum range of 4 almost fixes the issue, except if you send your Firebeetle from the south east, or some other direction it doesn't like : the firebeetle will still turn around the target and it means it will die before achieving its goal (for instance, damaging a t2 factory).

The smallest range that seems to work consistently, with Firebeetles walking very slightly around but detonating quick enough is 4.5. But even then, if you keep the DamageRadius at 3, small structures like mex won't be caught in the explosion, you need to increase the AOE to 3.2. So wether it's range 5 / 3.25 AOE, or 4.5 range / 3.2 AOE, it's the same idea, with almost the same results : a small change in the stats of the firebeetle so that it can work consistently against all targets types. And of course, it works better against moving targets too, since it can detonate when there is another unit between the target and the beetle, preventing it to try to move around all units all the time (but if there are more units blocking the way, it still cannot get to the target unless you blow what's in the way first).

Another solution, as I explained in my first post, that can be chosen instead or added at the same time, is a self detonate button, so that you can manually explode your unit if it begins to act weird. It's also in the mod and works well.
It requires more micro if you keep the stat of the unit as they are, but it can really make it usable against bigger structures, which is the least you can expect from any attacking unit in the game.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Resin_Smoker » 08 May 2012, 17:17

Firebeatles in 4DC use a dummy weapon that allows them to automatically chase down enemy units. Once in range they'll detonate but unlike the FA standard units, they don't inflict FF damage. Hence they can be used in mass and set to patrol a given area, inflicting massive amounts of casualties upon enemy units in their path.

Note: Last time i checked we added visual stealth to them and a detonate button as well.

Resin
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Postby AdmiralZeech » 08 May 2012, 17:58

I say, remove the autoattack feature to eliminate headaches with weapon ranges.
Can we do the above but still keep attack-ground functionality?
Give them a hotkey to blow up manually.

Then play with stats until they're viable & balanced.

The one change that might be fun is cloak/stealth when stationary :)

Rather than compare them to Mercies, let's compare them to TMLs.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 08 May 2012, 18:04

I think sorian made a mod that gave them stealth and cloak when not moving. Dont know how this would play out in game though. Was on vault so now there is probably a link to it in GPG forums. Still I think the best fix is more range and AOE so it can actually hit stuff.

EDIT, uploaded it here
Attachments
ImprovedFireBeetle.zip
(4.37 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Postby Doompants » 08 May 2012, 23:16

While perhaps fun for a mod, I don't think messing with stealth or cloak is appropriate for the standard game. I'd just like to see the range and AE numbers tweaked so they work like they are supposed to -- as fast mobile bombs.
Doompants

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Doompants

Postby Pavese » 10 May 2012, 12:03

Giving them cloak wouldn't be a prob as a simple scout could detect them. Giving them both would make the amazingly OP.

And the blow up by hotkey thing should be implemented. Oh god pls.

But tbh i dont like the ACU assassination nature of it. Why not make it a anti shield unit with a small EMP death blow?
Pavese

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 10 May 2012, 13:58

Giving the cloak is a great idea. I realy dot like the anti shield idea paverse as it will not help cybran all that much because of all the micro required. Also as they are so high prioroty targets i doubt they will ever be able to get in range of shields. Give them cloak, a detonate button, slughtly more range and slightly more AOE.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Postby Kryo » 10 May 2012, 14:33

Pavese wrote:Giving them cloak wouldn't be a prob as a simple scout could detect them. Giving them both would make the amazingly OP.

But tbh i dont like the ACU assassination nature of it. Why not make it a anti shield unit with a small EMP death blow?

cloak the beetles, and support them with some units and a deceiver = pwnage.
Kryo
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Kryo

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 10 May 2012, 21:34

Kryo wrote:
Pavese wrote:Giving them cloak wouldn't be a prob as a simple scout could detect them. Giving them both would make the amazingly OP.

cloak the beetles, and support them with some units and a deceiver = pwnage.

Exactly, 100% this. Would love to see them used in regular battles.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

PreviousNext

Return to FA Balance Discussions