Balancing team, be careful!

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Re: Balancing team, be careful!

Postby TA4Life » 29 Sep 2011, 02:06

Let's start the petition.

Seems it is wrong to call these things moves forward and backwards. It is more like sideways diagonals. I am enjoying 3603, but I do miss 3599. I think a lot more players would switch over if 3599 option was given.
TA4Life

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Moritz » 29 Sep 2011, 03:56

Ze_PilOt wrote:The purpose of FAF is to move forward. Making 3599 a featured Mod
- Defie that purpose.
- It's a balance mod, and I don't want balance mods to be part of featured mods (Or I will have 10 features mods before the end of the month).

It's really that second part : Unless you can prove me that a lot of people (more than 5) are using 3599 mod, I won't feature it. Or I would have to feature original 3603, each iteration of it as a mod, the community balance mod, the 3599 + restorer balance, diamond mod, faction diversity mod, and why not imba mod and others dozen of balance mods in the vault ?

You see where that can lead : Someone with a minimal amount of skill (being able to open a text editor) can do his own mod balance. I can't feature them unless they are really popular.

Proposing all these slight balance (let's be honest here, for a casual/noob, they are really slight changes in gameplay) mod will only lead to more confusion about the game.

What I want to feature :
Nomads, experimental wars, blackops, king of the hill, phantom-N and -X, Murder Party, WW2 total conversion, FA:TA, ....: Mods that bring unique game types and not slight alterations of the vanilla one.

I really don't care about 3599 and I will not play it, but 3599 is not a balance mod, it's the official release made by GPG and THQ, I think you can't compare it with balance mods, I don't think making a classic 3599 version in features mods means you are not moving forward, I wish GPGnet had a 3603 featured mod section when they released 3603, I just wanted to mention my opinion about it.
Moritz

Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Moritz

Postby Ze_PilOt » 29 Sep 2011, 08:36

The 3603 patch was aimed to be the base version in GPGnet, and 3599 would have been erased from the surface of the earth, like 3596 and 3598.

I really don't see why I need to make a feature mod (for 4 persons), of something that was supposed to be replaced by the version we are using.

If the mod is done and used by a lot of people I will featured it, but until that, it's just another balance mod.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby -_V_- » 29 Sep 2011, 10:07

HUm I am confused here cause so far my understanding was that you didn't want to include the possibility of playing 3599 yourself BUT that you would allow players to chose what balance they wanna play if someone would do a 3599 mod.

Now i'm not sure what's your position as i am confused on that "featured/not featured" stuff.

I will include the mod in FAF package so everyone have it, but Feature Mods is not a section for balance mods, unless they are very popular. So, no.

What do you mean by featured ? advertised ? available to download from the "vault" ?

And BTW it's not a random balance mod, it's the one several ppl still play daily. I'd hardly call that a "mod" for casual players
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Ze_PilOt » 29 Sep 2011, 10:52

Featured mod is a mod available in the featured mod section of FAF.

That's also mean leaderboard, ladder, .... for it, and also that it's not activated like a mod : There is not mod "activated" in the lobby, it's used like it's the standard version.

You can use any mod with FAF, It's not that allowing a 3599, as any mod is allowed (except the cheaty ones) :)

A lot of players are playing it daily on gpgnet, but it's FAF here, and we use 3608 daily, not 3599 :)

The goal is to close the gap between these players and the "future" of FA (aka our version), and letting them play 3599 as a "standard" version (what featured mod allow) is not helping that purpose.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby uberge3k » 29 Sep 2011, 13:19

I would say that the easiest way to figure out exactly how much support there is for this would be to make a thread for "support of 3599 balance mod". It should propose the question in the following light:

"If a 3599 mod were created, would it be the deciding factor for switching to FAF? In the absence of such a mod, would you avoid FAF?"

If a person can truthfully answer "yes" to both of those questions, it should count as one vote. In true petition form, have them sign their GPGNet name to it.

Considering that almost 500 people on FAF, using 3608, I would say we'd need at least, say, 100 votes for it to prove that it would be worthwhile. Maybe more.

Just an idea. ^^
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby -_V_- » 29 Sep 2011, 13:36

like there were 600 active players on FA nowadays

Zep ok for the explanation. As long as we are able to play with that balance, i don't think we'll care much for ladder, leaderboard etc... This is mostly the type of games of the 360x followers, so no worries about that.

Is there a specific folder for the current active units def (like one folder for 3603, another one for 3608 etc.) ?
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 29 Sep 2011, 13:48

So a mod is enough for you, no need to make it a featured mod. So you don't need a poll or whatever to have it on FAF, you just need to make it :)
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby -_V_- » 29 Sep 2011, 15:34

Moritz ? Plz ? :mrgreen:
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Postby Moritz » 29 Sep 2011, 20:13

-_V_- wrote:Moritz ? Plz ? :mrgreen:

A mod? Never.

FAF uses a mod to make all 3603 and 3608 changes, why would I code to reverse everything back to 3599? If we could just ignore FAF changes? That's why it's easy and fast to get it in featured mods. But I see that won't happen, and I think you should get back to GPGnet to play 3599.
Moritz

Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Moritz

PreviousNext

Return to FA Balance Discussions