Carpet bombing

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Carpet bombing

Postby AdmiralZeech » 17 Sep 2011, 18:25

Hi, as you've noticed, I have joined this forum. As is customary for me, I will make my obligatory beg for carpet bombing post :)
Obligatory beg for carpet bombing post will now commence.

In the original release version of SupCom1, bombers would pay attention to what is beneath them and drop a bomb if they were flying over a target.
(originally, bombs were not physics-enabled, they just fell straight down, iirc.)

This means you can move a formation of bombers over some enemies, and they would repeatedly drop bombs as they fly over, which was awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_-jkaRGZA

I dont care what other changes need to be made, so that this feature is competitively balanced, but this needs to be in game. Definitely, absolutely, oh yes.

------------------------

For practical reasons, I think only T1 bombers should have this ability. (T2 fighter bombers would end up dropping bombs whilst dogfighting. T3 carpet bombing would be incredibly cool, but probably unstoppably OP.)

I think its best if bombers have a small attack range where they can see a target beneath, and the bombs are home-on-point. This would make bombs accurate against single targets whilst still being relatively indiscriminate when carpet bombing.

One problem is being able to micro bombers so that they spray bombs all over a single target. If this cannot be fixed, then maybe a rebalance is needed so that this will be considered a valid alternative use of a T1 bomber.

-----------------------

This concludes the obligatory beg for carpet bombing post.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Re: Carpet bombing

Postby Kryo » 17 Sep 2011, 18:38

would totally be imba :P i dont think this can make it into the game without changing the balancing a lot. Also bombs should fall with physics, so you would need to determine targets ahead of the flight path.
Homeing bombs suck. Look at supcom2, just looks stupid and you cant micro anything.

In the original Nomad mod we had a t3 bomber that bombed a carpet instead of a single bomb. dunno if this is still in the mod.
Kryo
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Kryo

Postby AdmiralZeech » 17 Sep 2011, 18:45

The bombs are home-on-point, which isnt homing at all. Just a way of making sure the bombs actually get to where they are supposed to go. Please improve your understanding of home-on-point. (MMLs use it.)

Falling with physics / determining targets ahead is too complicated, easier just to stick home-on-point in the blueprint with a very small attack range.

--------------

I dont care if the axis of the earth's rotation needs to be changed to accomodate this feature, I must have it. I have made it my life's work.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Postby FunkOff » 17 Sep 2011, 19:40

T1 bombers cost half now what they did then, so this is pretty much guaranteed to be imba.

Also AZ, the exact thing mmls have is called "TrackTargetLocation". It's exactly as you describe, just has a different name :-p
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby TAG_ROCK » 17 Sep 2011, 19:47

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reminds me of TA so i am 100% for this change, and change whatever needs to be changed to make this work !!!!
At t2 stage flaks eat bombers so I dont think it will be imba at all.

On a separate note I've also always wanted for interceptors to be controllable like in TA, it gives the game such playability!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by TAG_ROCK on 17 Sep 2011, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
TAG_ROCK
Contributor

FAF User Name: TAG_ROCK

Postby FunkOff » 17 Sep 2011, 19:49

There is absolutely no way this could be balanced, rock.... seeing as it's a complete change of bombers.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby TAG_ROCK » 17 Sep 2011, 20:11

Shame...
TAG_ROCK
Contributor

FAF User Name: TAG_ROCK

Postby Isen » 18 Sep 2011, 11:00

if anyhting you can kill with flak cant be imba, restorers in 3599 are ok rock lol, only need flak everywhere 0.0
Isen

Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Isen_

Postby AdmiralZeech » 18 Sep 2011, 11:06

FunkOff wrote:There is absolutely no way this could be balanced, rock.... seeing as it's a complete change of bombers.

It could be balanced, if we believed enough. I think you're personally wrecking our paradise with your heresy, funkoff. Stop it.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Postby Kryo » 18 Sep 2011, 11:21

of course it can be balanced, but it would make a total rebalancing of all air and anti air units necessary, maybe even of all buildings, that have death explosion, all units, that walk in formation and so on.

Effort: OVER 9000!
Use: about 200 only
Kryo
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Kryo

Next

Return to FA Balance Discussions