Underwater target hit by a ground weapon

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Underwater target hit by a ground weapon

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 17 Sep 2011, 13:42

I think it's more or less gamebreaking

Such thigs as:
t1 arty or mercies hits submerged comm
bship hits submerged atlantis
cruisers and tmls hit t3 torp launcher

and others

all these happened to me, and the most recent was I was killing t2 aeon subs with corsairs. It was hilarious, yes, but also was WRONG.

I beg you please fix it. :roll:
Thanks.
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat with experience.
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Raging_Squirrel

Re: Underwater target hit by a ground weapon

Postby FunkOff » 17 Sep 2011, 14:38

Fix it?

Forged Alliance is a simulation. Things like this are expected. Although it is possible to make some units completely invulnerable to some types of damage, it would be the same as making it so that nukes and aircraft could not collide with each other. I, however, and many other FA players, value the realism of the game and the fact that all things are simulated as true as possible.

In fact, the way things are now, it's actually more balancing that underwater units can be hit by surface fire than it would be if they couldn't be hit by such. How on earth would you kill a T3 torpedo launcher if not with battleships and surface fire, exactly?
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 17 Sep 2011, 14:44

torpedo bombers or subs, not battleships, tmls, strat bombers etc.

they can't target it but can kill. it's just stupid, brings in micro and takes strategy away
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat with experience.
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Postby FunkOff » 17 Sep 2011, 14:49

RS, the best fix then would be to allow bombers/battleships/etc to target those types directly rather than making them unable to damage them.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 17 Sep 2011, 14:49

FunkOff wrote:I, however, and many other FA players, value the realism of the game and the fact that all things are simulated as true as possible.

How can you say it is realistic to kill a sub with corsair? really?

It just doesn't match that things happening ABOVE the water affect other things UNDER the water, does it?
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 17 Sep 2011, 14:50

FunkOff wrote:RS, the best fix then would be to allow bombers/battleships/etc to target those types directly rather than making them unable to damage them.

And what will be the point having underwater units then?
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Postby FunkOff » 17 Sep 2011, 14:53

Underwater units still have stealth and cannot be hit by many weapon types, like hover units, frigates, etc. Also, the effectiveness of battleships is quite limited: Even with direct targeting, battleships are still ineffective against subs, particularly at close range, due to limitations on the battleships weapon turn speeds and the weapon firing delays. Also, underwater units don't occupy the same space as surface ships, so it allows you to condense your fleet to have some ships and some subs together... very handy in combat.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 17 Sep 2011, 15:06

They can be hit by all the weapons with AOE damage. And your fix just doesn't fit because the underwater units are anti-naval, which means they can hit naval units and can't be hit by anything from the surface. Or am I wrong at this definition?
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Postby AdmiralZeech » 17 Sep 2011, 17:16

Being able to hit something that you cannot target, thus forcing you to manually target, is pretty bad and goes against the spirit of supcom imo.

Please decide whether its better to have surface explosions not penetrate the water, or for aoe-equipped units to be able to target submerged units, and do it. The current situation is not ideal.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Been liked: 62 times

Postby FunkOff » 17 Sep 2011, 17:28

Well, AZ, at the extreme, submarines would even survive direct nuke strikes.

I'd rather just let all battleships/T3/T4 bombers target subs. But that's me.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Next

Return to FA Balance Discussions