Underwater target hit by a ground weapon

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Re: Underwater target hit by a ground weapon

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 17 Sep 2011, 17:39

FunkOff wrote:I'd rather just let all battleships/T3/T4 bombers target subs. But that's me.

Then we'd have to make subs be able to attack hover units as well, to make it stupid both ways :cry:
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat with experience.
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Raging_Squirrel

Postby AdmiralZeech » 17 Sep 2011, 17:53

Nukes and TMLs are already manually targeted, so I would be ok with them hitting subs.
This might feel a little illogical and inconsistent tho.

But having Nukes (not TMLs) be the only surface explosions that affect subs is a reasonable compromise, since even if all other surface explosions do not penetrate, it doesnt feel illogical if nukes are the special exception. (nukes are special anyways, after all.)

------------

Subs vs. hover units are a seperate question, imo. (iirc, subs can hit hover units with ground fire? or am I mistaken?)

You need to seperately decide if subs hitting hover units is a good idea or not. If so, make them targetable, if not, make hover units immune to undersea explosions.

Whether explosions penetrate down, should not influence whether they penetrate up. Warhead and tracking technology are different, after all.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Been liked: 62 times

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 17 Sep 2011, 18:06

The problem is that AOE damage has the effect on the X and Y coordinates in specified radius, and on Z coordinate it has no limitation. So at the end we have not a spherical area but a cylindrical.

I think that was made for nuke to kill ASFs which are usually very high in the sky, but unfortunately it did affect the things it wasn't supposed to.
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat with experience.
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Postby Kryo » 17 Sep 2011, 18:14

why change it?

it should stay as it is, adding a little bit of micromanagement to it. if battleships would fire automatically on t3 torp launchers for example, this building would be useless.

Pls dont change that
Kryo
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Kryo

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 17 Sep 2011, 19:17

why? being a counter to a battleship, t3 torpedo launcher gets killed by it from the twice bigger range doing no damage at all
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Postby uberge3k » 17 Sep 2011, 19:31

Raging is 100% correct in this.

The game is called "Supreme" Commander. Grand strategy on an epic scale. Forcing you to engage in pointless micromanage to gain a nontrivial advantage in certain situations such as those described here is simply counterproductive to what makes SupCom, SupCom. If we wanted that we'd be playing StarCraft. :p

My opinion:

Either make these units be able to target submerged units automatically, without needing to attack ground, or fix it so that they cannot damage submerged units. Nukes would naturally be the (only?) exception to this, as naturally they should obliterate anything underneath them.
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 17 Sep 2011, 20:37

uberge3k wrote:Either make these units be able to target submerged units automatically, without needing to attack ground

Why the hell everyone wants that??? I'm sobbing and stomping the ground.

Honestly, have you ever seen anyone building T2 torp launchers? Let me guess, you haven't.
Why? Coz they are getting shot from far and thus being useless.
All of you want to do the same to the T3 one.

I'm so fucking disappointed and already regret I've posted this.
If this will ever happen, I'll stick to setons on gpg :?
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Postby FunkOff » 17 Sep 2011, 20:39

RS, I see people building T2 torp launchers all the time: They absolutely maim all T1 and T2 naval units and subs. Only some cruisers/destroyer and T3 ships can out-range them. They are the T2 PD of the ocean.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 17 Sep 2011, 20:47

Funk, you saw noobs :) t2 torp launchers is waste of mass
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Postby Kryo » 17 Sep 2011, 23:21

still... dont change it the way it is now. Splash damage should damage submerged things BUT no auto-targeting!
Kryo
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Kryo

PreviousNext

Return to FA Balance Discussions