Feedback on cast overlay pls

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, JJ173

Re: Feedback on cast overlay pls

Postby arkitect » 04 Aug 2018, 05:55

I'm grabbing all the values from game memory and loop rendering out values and bars etc to the overlay image. allows for useful stuff like showing mass/energy storage bars for all players simultaneously
arkitect

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: arkitect

Postby Anihilnine » 04 Aug 2018, 08:14

heh cool - how do u get the variables from memory?

when i was doing this i directly edited game files and dumped values i wanted to log. then an app read values out of log
Anihilnine

Has liked: 254 times
Been liked: 375 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Turinturambar » 04 Aug 2018, 14:10

it would be amazing if you could also add a unit tab (with units ordered by tech level) (and maybe a production tab)
maybe would need to cycle through units/income to make it not too clustered
that should make it way easier to see how strong each players army is (and make it a vary usefull tool for replaywatching too)
Turinturambar

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 70 times
FAF User Name: 園崎詩音

Postby arkitect » 05 Aug 2018, 15:09

thats a cool idea turin, I had a quick look to see if I could spot how the units are stored in memory but looks like it will take quite a bit of messing around to be able to extract it. wonder if unit counts is easy to get in lua and dump out...
arkitect

Postby arkitect » 12 Aug 2018, 18:52

finally got to an actual cast with the overlay:
arkitect

Postby Farmsletje » 12 Aug 2018, 18:58

Imo the skewed minimap isn't great to look at. It just makes it harder to see what's going on with no real benefit.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Evaluator

Has liked: 284 times
Been liked: 355 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby keyser » 12 Aug 2018, 19:00

lacking rating and score of player.
also lacking the actual income they have like -200 e stall etc
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 407 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby arkitect » 12 Aug 2018, 19:06

keyser wrote:lacking rating and score of player.
also lacking the actual income they have like -200 e stall etc

hmm yes didnt notice that it isnt displaying the rating on this :/ I didn't include score as I don't find it relevant. if anyone ever actually looks at the score and gets useful info from that then feel free to let me know what use it serves them.

and actual income less expenditure is a tricky one. afaik it's not available anywhere except when calculated in the ui for the focused army, so I don't know if I can show it
arkitect

Postby keyser » 12 Aug 2018, 19:27

well score does give a general information about the position of 1 player in function to an other one. We also need to take into account the reality of the game for it to be meaning full. But it does well in term of synthesizing a situation, if you remember that big e production will increase it without impacting the game too much.
So then if there is a big differential in term of score being created, while you didn't notice something special on the battlefield and that there is no big e production difference, then you know that you most likely missed/are missing something in term of economy (or somewhere else).
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 407 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby biass » 14 Aug 2018, 12:52

feedback, design related

Spoiler: show
i looked at it in use and imo i have to agree with farmsthat the minimap skew is too hard to see, i get it, you want to be able to show off the whole map incase you're zoomed on on something, but even on like a 24? or so inch monitor at 1080p it's mostly illegible, honestly i would scrap the skew, and the container and it's associated effects and see if that is legible, and if not, scrap it and then bring in a bigger view to edit in if another event outside of your original view needed focus

contrary to the map, everything is really way too big. and it intrudes in the way of the game itself at times
- I don't know why the names and also the reclaim number needs to be larger then even the title of the video.
- I don't know why the names need a giant container and i don't know why they need to be one colour, you could very happily recolour them and with a little styling communicate the colour of the player, their name, their rating, and even their country with way less space taken up.
- You used zeroes three (the supcom font) on the reclaim stuff and not the player names which is strange, the decorative font should be on the name, and something very readable like a fitting serif should be on the smaller text. Then you can theme the numbers and the letters together and bring the size down while still being readable.
- the numbers for the storage are on the verge of being too small but if you change the font it should be fine, might want to give it a bit more character spacing if it's still not good enough though.
- If you're smart with your storage numbers you can put said text inside the bar and make said bars waaay bigger.

i always thought supcom needed a cast overlay akin to something like other esports (the overwatch overlay is JUICY) and im happy to see something being done on it, but it needs a lot of work, im very happy to help lend a hand and pm me if you need me to elaborate on anything i said here, good luck
My map thread: http://bit.ly/2qubD3l
Experience the new and constantly improved FAF Creative: https://discord.gg/Z5pVWSx

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 568 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: biass

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions