Client transition - constructive feedback thread

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: Mountain, FtXCommando

Re: Client transition - constructive feedback thread

Postby biass » 03 Jan 2019, 13:27

Oh a quick tutorial on changing the bg image incase you wanted to make the improvement yourself:

Go to C:\Program Files\Downlord's FAF Client\lib and open downlords-faf-client-0.9.3-beta.jar (or the same file with a different version number)
You might need to run winrar with admin rights to get in.

From there, go to themes -> images and delete login-background.jpg.
hit add in winrar and then select the new image you want to use, which should also be named login-background.jpg too. open faf and boom, you have a fantastic new bg like i do!
Image
Bask in awe of what once was: http://bit.ly/2qubD3l

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
User avatar
biass
Contributor
 
Posts: 2029
Joined: 03 Dec 2015, 07:54
Has liked: 583 times
Been liked: 555 times
FAF User Name: biass

Re: Client transition - constructive feedback thread

Postby Louvegarde » 03 Jan 2019, 14:00

Everything that Petric said.
Also, a few other things :

Backward compatible client.prefs file
I understand that the client.prefs file, when opened with a newer version of the client, has troubles being loaded by an older version afterwards. However...
Image
This isn't a nice way to say it (and i'll come back to that later on). I highly doubt it is out of our reach to make client.prefs being automatically discarded when invalid, with a message saying "oops, client.prefs were broken, we discarded them, sorry". You could argue that "you're not supposed to downgrade your client", but in effect you are wrong : there are multiple reasons to downgrade your client. The latest version may be bugged (this will happen at least once). You may use different computers with different client versions. You may have multiple versions installed for testing. Etc, etc, etc.
My suggestion :
    - Make client completly ignore unknown keys or parameters from the prefs file on loading
    - If that is not possible, maybe structure the prefs file in a different way so that each key and parameter is stored by version number, allowing earlier versions to only load what's necessary to them
    - If that is not possible, discard the file if there's any error loading it. Errors in the prefs should NOT prevent the client from starting.
    - At least, make the error message readable. "Could not load your prefs. Details below :" is better than "Some error you need a computer science degree to decrypt occured".

Error handling, user-side
This one is my biggest problem with Java client. When errors happen, they show up as undecipherable wall of texts, that you can dismiss but you have no idea what consequence that will have or what part of the client just failed (is that serious ? not ?) unless you start digging into the stacktrace.
There are, obviously, some errors that are going to be much more frequent than the others. Could not join the game. Could not connect the API. Could not load the coop leaderboards (I believe this one is already done). Could not host the game. Etc.
My suggestion is :
    - Create a set of localized generic errors messages corresponding to each most frequent error code, allowing the client to say "Uh Oh ! Sorry, I could not open that replay because the file is corrupt ! More details below : <stacktrace>".
    - Make the stacktrace HIDDEN by default, in a deployable menu like the [ spoilers ] from bbforums. Something you have to click on to expand the window and get the details of. Stacktraces are ugly and scary to the normal user.

Material design UI ?
Image
I had a discussion about this one with a few of you guys, and what came out of it is that I feel like it keeps being repeated that "Java client strikes for material design UI" even though no one seems to have even slightly researched what it is.
Let me repeat it further : The current java client is absolutely not designed the way a material design app should be.
Image
This, to material design, is pure nonsense.
https://material.io/
It's an obvious window layed out ontop of other content (which should never happen - such window with that much in it do not exist in material design), with a 90% opacity so you can still see what's behind (why ?).
Neither the select menus nor the buttons do respect any part of the chart. This should not be a window but a pane, and the Cancel button shouldn't even exist : but be a "<-" button on the top left corner. Java client is full of oddities like this. Take this for example :
Image
What on earth is even going on ? I have not a single idea of where to look. What the java client makes me feel like is that you guys wanted to take a design chart to look serious, but eventually it didn't fit your needs (material design is mostly for web applications and mobile / touchscreen applications!!) and therefore you bent it in every way possible to make it still usable. When talking of the "Create game" window I was given as argument that it was a "dialog box" (short answer : it's not. In no way.) and that therefore it was okay. It's not.
The python client had a bad UI, but it was usable. The java client has a somewhat better UI, but in some places it gets ridiculously hard to understand what's going on.

Pick a design chart, or keep this one : but in anyway, stick to it and don't lie to yourself. Imo, material design isn't a good pick at all for a client like this, and since the java client is very far from it anyway you could aswell discard it entirely and choose another one at this point.

Profile picture
(how do I change my profile picture ? It's been since 0.7 I have this weird green thing and I can't change it)
(can the other users even see it at all ?)
(i like this feature but really it's weirdly handled)

The vault
Image
As someone fiddling with the java api all the time, I do understand the logic behind this camouflaged search bar. But you must think that the average user doesn't care about "Name" "Contains" "Value". It doesn't mean much.
It should be a giantic search bar, with a magnyfing glass logo or whatever, and the placeholer shouldn't be "Value" (???) but "Search...". Regarding the searched criteria (By Name, By Author, etc...) it should be part of a smaller SELECT button coming after the search field and named something like "Search by". Taken as it is currently, the search panel is probably very powerful but oddly counter intuitive.

UnitDB
Stop breaking my CSS! :x
Image

Chat
Image
Need clear separation between the tab and the chat to understand what's going on.
Maybe lines to separate them ?
Image
:mspaint_expert_avatar:

REVEAL!
Image
Reveal ? More like...browse ?

meep meep meep meep
the notification sound is awful! Maybe you could add the option to use a custom one ? Or maybe that could be part of the theme ?

That's all for me, for now, I think.
Other than what I mentioned, great work :) It's overall much more usable today than it was 1 year ago.
Cryogenic slumber party!
User avatar
Louvegarde
Moderator
 
Posts: 296
Joined: 25 Mar 2018, 14:09
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 68 times
FAF User Name: Louvegarde

Re: Client transition - constructive feedback thread

Postby Petricpwnz » 03 Jan 2019, 14:36

biass wrote:6. This icon really makes no sense to me. is it a torch? a key? im yet to figure it out.


Image
Spoiler: show
my guess
Image
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu


Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
User avatar
Petricpwnz
Priest
 
Posts: 441
Joined: 30 Aug 2012, 01:48
Has liked: 411 times
Been liked: 442 times
FAF User Name: Whiteheart

Re: Client transition - constructive feedback thread

Postby Exotic_Retard » 03 Jan 2019, 14:45

Louvegarde wrote:the notification sound is awful! Maybe you could add the option to use a custom one ? Or maybe that could be part of the theme ?
just taking the one from the py client shouldnt be a problem, i quite like that one and everyone is used to it so it should be an obvious replacement imo
I made the terrible mistake of voting for Tokyto_
User avatar
Exotic_Retard
Supreme Commander
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 22:51
Has liked: 544 times
Been liked: 591 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Re: Client transition - constructive feedback thread

Postby HerzogGorky » 03 Jan 2019, 14:47

First of all i have to say that the new client feels a lot more usable now in comparison with what it was half a year ago.

I like how you can watch your rating graph in a client, i always had to be using website for it, and i check it on a regular basis not sure why though. Anyway it would be cool if you could hover the mouse over the graph to view stats at a specific time just like on website.
Spoiler: show
Image


I also hate this guy but i couldn't find any way to get rid or at least change it.
Spoiler: show
Image




Some "Chat" tab related annoyances:

It's really hard to match a timestamp with a message if it is not in last ~5. I would suggest making messages more distinguishable by adding line between them or alternating the transparency of their backgrounds like what betterttv plugin does for twitch chat:
Spoiler: show
Image


Then there is a bug when you can right-click someone's nickname multiple times and open multiple dropdown menus:
Spoiler: show
Image


By the way these dropdown menus tend to disappear for no reason, not sure if thats my mouse lagging or client bug, but still annoying.



The "Play" tab in tiles mode just doesn't feel right

Giant gray rectanles take so much space and draw so much attention but don't give almost any useful information, text block only usually covers 40% of their size at best and the rest is just grey void. Yes in 1 out of 6 games it also contains mods which fucks shit up even more.
Spoiler: show
Image

When you have "show games with mods" checkbox disabled this looks just bad. But why do you have it enabled if you never play modded games?
Anyway it at least gives the ability to know if game is modded or not, which cannot be said about password protected games which are just undistinguishable from normal games.

Now, lets assume we have both checkboxes disabled and we just see regular games being hosted. The useless gray rectangles that don't give us any useful information now distract our attention from actually useful information like map and lobby name which usually contains rating limits. And this actually useful information is cramped up in tiny boxes of map preview. The decision of placing this information there leads up to further problems as the text could meld into previews so the previews were shaded a little bit. This shady bottom adds something unnatural so they fell wrong. I also think you could use this to hide some extra mexes on the map because the big preview on the right does not change instantly sometimes, so ppl who no-brain double clicked the lobby and x up without further investigation may be tricked.

The table view is just superior in terms of information placement but looks even worse.



Moving to the "Vault" tab

It is kinda unclear that you can scroll through filters list, for me it took like 10 minutes trying to understand how do i search for my own replays. I felt really retarded when i noticed i could scroll.



In all "Leaderboards" sub-tabs the client should auto-highlight your position

And at last in "Units" tab and also in some other places where you can scroll by middle clicking and moving mouse the cursor should be changing like in all browsers.
HerzogGorky
Crusader
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 20 Jan 2018, 21:42
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: HerzogGorky

Re: Client transition - constructive feedback thread

Postby moonbearonmeth » 03 Jan 2019, 14:51

Almost forgot the most important thing.

Fix the chat limitations
Image
As it stands channel topics are not visible in downlord's so unless you want all the moderators beating down your door because now every mouth-breather this side of Korea now actually has an excuse for not know where the moderation report forms are, I suggest you fix it.

This is also double cancer because you can't really do irc commands at all which makes hosting tournaments in general pretty cancerino.
Case and point:
Image

The channel never got registered :/
Ask me about my amazing content production to watch while you wait in a lobby.
User avatar
moonbearonmeth
Contributor
 
Posts: 397
Joined: 15 Jul 2016, 21:15
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Suomi KP-31 desu

Re: Client transition - constructive feedback thread

Postby Apofenas » 03 Jan 2019, 14:59

Btw. It appears Downlord's client doesnt have any auto-join function. It doesn't connect you to language channels and there is no way to set up auto-join in settings.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Evaluator
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 21 Jul 2013, 14:39
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 151 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Re: Client transition - constructive feedback thread

Postby keyser » 03 Jan 2019, 16:12

About replay vault :

feel like i need a PHD for searching simple stuff :
Spoiler: show
Image
also value for mod selection should allow you to select a mod and not type it


got dammit, not even working the way i want it too :
Spoiler: show
Image


is it a bug maybe ? got maphacker pop up everytime.
Spoiler: show
Image


would be nice (as petry said) to allow template for query to the vault; and also to allow to put the minimum/maximum rating for both player rating.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Contributor
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: 17 May 2013, 14:27
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 459 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Re: Client transition - constructive feedback thread

Postby Petricpwnz » 03 Jan 2019, 18:13

Here, made some notification sounds for ya, could make more if u want, I suggest #10 although #7 is my favorite by far.
Attachments
sounds_of_god.zip
(337.91 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu


Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
User avatar
Petricpwnz
Priest
 
Posts: 441
Joined: 30 Aug 2012, 01:48
Has liked: 411 times
Been liked: 442 times
FAF User Name: Whiteheart

Re: Client transition - constructive feedback thread

Postby keyser » 04 Jan 2019, 16:39

ok so i realized why i was getting games from the player "maphacker" when i was checking for highrating in ladder. It's because he has 1900 rating in global. But since i'm looking for ladder game, i would like them to be sorted by the ladder rating (he barely have 1k there). So this need changing too.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Contributor
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: 17 May 2013, 14:27
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 459 times
FAF User Name: keyser

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest