Prothyon - 16

Moderators: speed2, KeyBlue

Re: Prothyon - 16 [WIP] Coop Mission

Postby maxathron » 23 Aug 2015, 23:44

The only thing that feels like cheating (once I get to the point of using it; that AI does not joke around) would be T2 PD, as I've never had an AI (even using AIx) able to sufficiently counter a line of T2 PD without sending T3/EXperimentals/Naval/Tons of Air. That would be the only thing I'd explicitly remove from the build options.

T2 ships would be countered by the time old Vanilla tactic of massed T1 Sub spam supported by T1/T2 Air. That's something I don't see often in games between players and was usually stopped in campaigns by destroyers/T2 torpedoes. But faced with no T2 ships, I think I'd consider it a valid tactic for this mission (again, once I get there).

Reinforcement drops would be cool to bolster your forces upon secondary objective/initial deployment as was done in FA missions. I distinctly remember having ~10 UEF Titans, a Galactic Colossus, and UEF and Aeon SACUs moved to my command at the last FA mission, with the Titans being airlifted in.
maxathron

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Maxathron

Postby speed2 » 24 Aug 2015, 11:15

Restrictions are what make the misson harder. AI is meant to always have some kind of advantages. I will allow Destroyers since they will come in handy in next objectives. Things like T2 PDs and flak will stay disabled since its too strong against the AI attacks.
Before I restricted PDs, everyone who tested my mission did one long T2PD creep.
Flak, mml, mobile shield should be enabled in 3rd objective (air base)

Restrictions should be set to encourage player to build units and actively manage them, rather than casual turtle game that can be seen in all the other missions.

Anyway thanks for feedback ;)
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby ZeRen » 24 Aug 2015, 20:39

speed2 wrote:, everyone who tested my mission did one long T2PD creep.

:lol: :lol: well this is the only strategy that UEF players do
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby maxathron » 26 Aug 2015, 03:56

ZeRen wrote:
speed2 wrote:, everyone who tested my mission did one long T2PD creep.

:lol: :lol: well this is the only strategy that UEF players do

I went with T1 Bomber spam blocking out the sun.
Then was promptly squashed underfoot of the third stage.

Maybe if I had 600 more Bombers (Started with 250), I could have done enough damage in the first wave to continue on with Pillar spam.
I'm also now sure the fourth stage is the naval stage, so that was a mistake building 50 subs that early.

This strategy for the mission is ... sound, although extremely slow. Using bombers for sniping T2 PD, Factories, Airfactories, Shields, and T2 Power was literally the only way I could move forward.
maxathron

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Maxathron

Postby FunkOff » 27 Aug 2015, 03:11

speed2 wrote:Before I restricted PDs, everyone who tested my mission did one long T2PD creep.

You can think of a strategy game as a sort of puzzle game. Supcom requires you to select the right tools and then use them appropriately. In your mission, you remove the first part of the problem by disallowing players from using ANY decent tools to tackle the problem at hand. To destroy a base fortified with T2 PD, I would prefer T2 PD/TML/MML/Bombers, in that order. You restrict ALL of these. That's poor design.

Instead, why not program your AI to simply focus on things that BEAT T2 PD? MMLs, TMLs, Bombers... in use these against the player to defeat his T2 PD spam and make him do other things.

(Also, no fricken shields? that was lame)
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby theeggroll » 27 Aug 2015, 03:17

Actually if i recall correctly the ai already makes shit tons of mmls that shoot at everything and are super annoying. I agree with FunkOff cuz your mission is just a massive fucking spam fest, if you attack without enough units you have to sit there and wait for the proper amount of units to build up to try attacking again, and there arent enough resources to spam fast enough to continuously attack
GMT - 6 http://spooky.github.io/unitdb/#/
When in doubt, Blame Gorton
theeggroll
Priest

Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 98 times
FAF User Name: theeggroll

Postby Gorton » 27 Aug 2015, 03:53

I disagree, eggroll. All you actually need is acu ^^

You can basically do 90% of the entire map with acu and supporting it with some units + keeping air cover.
T2guncom can tank t2 pds, oc from range, murder the close-knit pillars etc

Take it as a training exercise for your commander micro :D
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby theeggroll » 27 Aug 2015, 04:14

Also I'd like to take a sec to complain more about the lack of mobile flak. that is all. Fu Gorton
GMT - 6 http://spooky.github.io/unitdb/#/
When in doubt, Blame Gorton
theeggroll
Priest

Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 98 times
FAF User Name: theeggroll

Postby Deering » 27 Aug 2015, 04:24

The air and navy bases are also commander micro exercises. Go.
Deering
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 41 times
FAF User Name: Deering

Postby speed2 » 27 Aug 2015, 06:40

I designed the mission for spam and usage of ACU, and thats excatly what you have to do to win. I didnt want any turtle fest you can see in all the other missions. I think Ive already said this few lines above

And if you reclaim what you kill, you have enough resources for continuous spam that will easily break through AI defences.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

PreviousNext

Return to Coop