Nomads Campaign Testing

Moderators: speed2, KeyBlue

Re: Nomads Campaign Testing

Postby tatsu » 01 Dec 2017, 13:47

PhilipJFry wrote:you have to host it with the coop tab (NOT the regular play tab)
the map name is "Nomads Mission 2 Playable Teaser"
ForgedAlliance_2017-12-01_12-29-37.png

Okay please do a step by step with screenshots because this is utter nonsense.

first you say not co-op tab now you say only co-op tab. make up your mind. plus the screenshot you show corresponds to an in-game lobby menu I do not have.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby PhilipJFry » 01 Dec 2017, 13:48

step 1: go to the coop tab in the client
step 2: host ANY coop mission
step 3: change the map in the game lobby (only coop maps should be in the map list)

edit: i said the map list in the client is being loaded from the server which is why you can't select any map from there and have to change the map in the game lobby
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby tatsu » 01 Dec 2017, 13:53

PhilipJFry wrote:step 1: go to the coop tab in the client
step 2: host ANY coop mission
step 3: change the map in the game lobby (only coop maps should be in the map list)

edit: i said the map list in the client is being loaded from the server which is why you can't select any map from there and have to change the map in the game lobby

ok I'm making progress but the bug where nomads shows up (partially) and is unselectable persists.

do I ignore it?

also I'm supposed to add an aI?

I went ahead. the mission loads (with the map cutoff and such but no messages display and my ACU is unselectable.

I'm on a crap connection right now. (no port forwarding I've tested a couple games I get disconnected at minute 3 systematically)

I can't test this solo?
Last edited by tatsu on 01 Dec 2017, 13:58, edited 2 times in total.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby PhilipJFry » 01 Dec 2017, 13:57

can't get the mission to run properly myself
i suspect that the mod is outdated since there have been some game patches after its release
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby shadowlorda1 » 25 Oct 2018, 18:26

Hey, I would like to know how you guys got the Nomad textures and units into the Map editor. Not to steal anyone's thunder, but I would like to make a mission or two of my own anti-nomad campaign. I just don't know how to get it to work in the Map editor to place units. Thanks!
shadowlorda1
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: shadowlorda1

Postby CookieNoob » 26 Oct 2018, 12:14

There is an explanation to do this in the nomads repository on github:
https://github.com/FAForever/nomads#map-editor
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
CookieNoob
Priest

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 249 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Postby FunkOff » 17 Dec 2019, 23:32

Mission 1: This is nicely done, but overall way too hard. The main problem is how badly out-teched you are. Enabling T1 tanks is a minimum for M1. Adding tank destroyers for M2 would help, too. M3 is very challenging, some T2 reinforcements would really help, even if we can't build them. (Note: This mission was such a pain in the ass, I cheated to beat it on Hard.)

Mission 2: M1 is tough, but mostly fair. The air attacks are a bit heavy, particularly with the attacks on the ACU, but they are manageable after several attempts. M2 is extremely hard, mostly because the bases are extremely well-prepared to fend off tech 1 units for a very long time. Two T2 destroyers provided as reinforcements would make this feel more fair. M3 I only ever got to with cheating, and it is far too tough to fight masses of T2 ships and aircraft with only T1 ships and anti-air. M3 is not fun, 4 MMLs is not enough to break the heavy UEF base, and the UEF base's sams/shields/arty are ludicrously unfair against T1/T2 air and T1 land/sea.

Mission 3: This mission is the most well-done. I don't really understand the "orbital cannon" objectives, or how the Nomad's orbital cannon works. I notice it shooting Aeon bases a bunch, but it was inaccurate and killed more of my own forces than it killed Aeon units. This mission is fun. It might be more fun if in M3, the Aeon Tempest attacked the player (starting from it's current location so the player has time to counter.)

Mission 4: The carriers are stuck underground in M1. Also the main entrance to the player base is too rounded and shots collide with the ground too much. The terrain near the carrier refueling area sucks as well, allowing Mantis to shoot it while it shots the dirt. Otherwise, it's good, aside from not being finished.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby speed2 » 18 Dec 2019, 17:26

FunkOff wrote:Feedback:
Mission 3: This mission is the most well-done. I don't really understand the "orbital cannon" objectives, or how the Nomad's orbital cannon works. I notice it shooting Aeon bases a bunch, but it was inaccurate and killed more of my own forces than it killed Aeon units. This mission is fun. It might be more fun if in M3, the Aeon Tempest attacked the player (starting from it's current location so the player has time to counter.)

orbital cannon objectives are currently being replaced. Instead of that, there will be 4 places with civilian (research) structures, objective will be to destroy those, to erase any data Aeons could get on the Nomads from the crashed ship and what not. With that all the dialogues will be replaced as well. Soon™

The artillery support that you get for reclaiming the ship parks (currently crystals still) also got replaced. Instead of that, the Bombardment ability will be available every few minutes, to be called anywhere on the map.

The Tempest is in the last part of the mission. There's an engineer building it and once its done, it attacks the crashed ship, together will the navy that patrols around the.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Tagada » 09 Jan 2020, 15:27

Feedback (all missions played on hard)
Mission 1: The mission was nicely done and challenging although also anoying at times because of the tech disadvantage. M1: if you play for the first time and you are not too familiar with Nomads units then you have no chance, if you actually go and scout as soon as the say then first few land and air waves will crush you. Especially that building the Nomads LABS is useless as they have no hp nor dps and artillery that will actually be your main land unit for most of the game is insanely anoying to use. They miss units that move slowly, most of them attack the same target etc. The only way to really use them is to click on whole enemy army and shift g which then works nicely. Also, UEF MAA is very strong so using air early on is a no go. M2: this one is way too easy on the other hand, the base has very little aa and by now you have ~20 gunships which wipe everything in matter of couple minutes. M3: it's not really challenging, just anoying that you need 200 units t1 land army to slowly creep forward, air isn;t really an option anymore bcs of flaks, I didn't notice the mission for orbital cannon so I can't tell how much would that help in the assault on final base, maybe I could take down 2 static flaks with it and destroy the base with 50 gunships. Overall the mission is well done. Also when you actually capture the UEF factory it's no longer needed cause you can build tanks by yourself, I would would move the Capture mission to M1 so you can build tanks which would really reward you for going out and capturing it.

Bugs: even tho I didn't complete the objective to make t2 air for the Orbital strikes it still was completed and as I destroyed the enemy ACU the audio played for it (something you can do the orbital bombardments.)

I will update this post as I complete more missions.
Tagada

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: WhoIsThisNoob

Postby Tagada » 09 Jan 2020, 15:39

Also pls update the Main post with https://github.com/FAForever/NomadMissions cause I got a little bit confused at first.
Tagada

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: WhoIsThisNoob

PreviousNext

Return to Coop