Increasing Engineer build range

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Increasing Engineer build range

Postby Exotic_Retard » 01 Sep 2018, 10:59

Hey kids!

so some boys recently suggested to me that t2 and t3 engineers should get more build range.
more specifically:
t1: 5 (thats unchanged so you know how much that is)
t2: 7.5
t3: 10 (thats the same range as an acus build range)

what do you fellow members of the balance forum think about that?

(this isnt me saying its a great idea just wondering what the esteemed balance community thinks)
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Re: Increasing Engineer build range

Postby Blodir » 01 Sep 2018, 11:03

I like it
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby PhilipJFry » 01 Sep 2018, 11:18

Not sure why this is needed.

Higher tier Engineers are better than lower tier already since they have the same build power/mass cost ratio and thus can concentrate more build power in a small space.

Not to mention the fact that they can build higher tier buildings.

To me this seems like changing something that is pretty well balanced as it is.
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Apofenas » 01 Sep 2018, 11:56

Ever had t3 engineer surrounded by shit tonn of t1s , trying to make its way out of this swarn to start another structure? Than bumping t1engineer on the place you queued the factory and raging for trash pathfinding and dumb engies?

It wouldn't really solve a problem, however the t3 engineer would be able to start a structure a lot further that t1 making it impossible for t1s to surround t3. Meanwhile if t3 engineer somehow got surrounded by t1 it would have a longer range to start another structure from inside the swarm

As for buildpower. You need cheap t1 factory to make t1 engineer and expensive t2 to make t2 engineer. Same efficiency, same range... die from single pass of t1 bomber.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby PhilipJFry » 01 Sep 2018, 12:28

Ever thought about planning ahead and not spamming 300 engies in your base that might block your path?
Just build one additional support factory and support it with some t1 engies to get higher tier engies instead of building 4 t1 facs spamming low tech build power.

For example a t2 land support factory costs 580 mass and has 40 build power compared to a t1 land fac which costs 240 mass and has 20 build power.

The biggest difference here is the fact that you have to invest more time into getting the higher tier factory but other than that it's almost as good for just engi spam as a t1 factory.

Also t2 engies have enough hp to tank one bomb from a t1 bomber.
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby ZeRenCZ » 04 Sep 2018, 10:53

:lol: of course PRO players(most of them) will defend annoying stuff, they are scared that they won't be be as good anymore :D

why would we wanna enjoy playing this game, when we can lose are nerves with annoying stuff, right Philip? ;)

I would go farther, increase build range and speed of engi, higher tier shoud be more efficient, so player in late game wanna switch all T1 for T3 engi, remember T1 spam on Setons?

if dont agree with me , then lets go nerf T3 power gen., much more HP and much better power/cost ration

there is absolutly no reason to not boost T3 engi, it will not break anything, all factons have same engi, but it would make this awesome game much more nice to play and with higher sim speed
ZeRenCZ
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby Farmsletje » 04 Sep 2018, 11:02

There is absolutely no reason not to triple t3 pgen income, it will not break anything, all factions have the same t3pgens. This would make the game much more nice to play by not having to constantly bother the annoying task of managing your eco

Everyone that disagrees with me is just scared that he won't be as good anymore
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby ZeRenCZ » 04 Sep 2018, 11:26

Farmsletje wrote:There is absolutely no reason not to triple t3 pgen income, it will not break anything, all factions have the same t3pgens. This would make the game much more nice to play by not having to constantly bother the annoying task of managing your eco

Everyone that disagrees with me is just scared that he won't be as good anymore

good one :D
ZeRenCZ
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby Louvegarde » 04 Sep 2018, 11:52

For as much as I like the idea of having T3 engineers able to build further from where they currently are, I remind myself that the engineer range is glitched anyway and that it happens very frequently to me to have T1 engineers building or assisting out of their supposed max range. So I don't know what that would give with a range upgrade ontop.

Also, did you think about the fact that it will become easier for players with T2 engineers (e.g.) to build buildings uphill / through natural barriers in some maps ? I'm just throwing that in the air without much thought to it, but if some maps rely on the fact that an engineer can't build at place X because the steep is to hard, therefore making this hill a defensive outpost for the other player, giving extra range to T2 engies might allow to build T1 Pds or whatever directly from below and turn that map feature into something else.
Cryogenic slumber party!
Louvegarde
Priest

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 103 times
FAF User Name: Louvegarde

Postby Exotic_Retard » 04 Sep 2018, 12:06

im not arguing for either side here, but just to clear things up, engineer build ranges are working correctly. kind of.

when you can build outside the buildrange, what actually happens is that the corner of the build platform is considered to be inrange, so thats why it lets it build. as opposed to the centre of the building.

anyway, carry on!
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Next

Return to Balance Discussion