Why are SACU presets retarded?

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Why are SACU presets retarded?

Postby moonbearonmeth » 24 Oct 2017, 05:04

Looking through the presets, a lot of them have no real value and seem to just be there to fufill a quota. Example being Aeon 'combatesque' SACUs vary from 'shit' to 'less shit' to 'kind of not shit' to 'not even playing the same god damn ball game'. Can we get some decent presets or at least give me the option to make retard presets my way?
Ask me about my amazing content production to watch while you wait in a lobby.
moonbearonmeth
Priest

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Suomi KP-31 desu

Re: Why are SACU presets retarded?

Postby ZLO_RD » 24 Oct 2017, 11:53

you suggest to remove shit presets or what?
i don't really get why having more options is retarded. For me it would be retarder if you only could make the one with all expencive upgraides that cost like 10k mass and no inbetween options.
You could try just useing presets with guns and kite, and not invest into expensive shields.
It is true that Aeon does not have good combat presets, and they don't have any alternative combat thigns, you can only just get guns and then choose between shield, double shield and nano...
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Morax » 24 Oct 2017, 20:42

This is not something I want to see. There are reasons to make each one, although rare. If you play a super late game where you can make a lot of SacUs why not have one with a radar suite or an anti air option? I've used them before and they work well for what they are.

The engineering one is VERY useful should you lose an teammate and want to spend the leftover mass quickly rather risk it goin to the even enemy.

I don't get why you hate this concept... It's a really poor showing of background fact-gathering.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby crispyambulance » 24 Oct 2017, 21:53

I think we should add a few more, like for example a cybran one with nano + engineering to put in the water for naval battles and aeon/sera shield/engineering for the same situation. There are probably more I can't think of off the top of my head that I thought would be useful.

The half-baked combat ACUs are pretty pointless, I'm not sure when you'd bother with anything less than the fully decked out rambo coms/advanced nano combatant.
crispyambulance
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: crispyambulance

Postby ZLO_RD » 24 Oct 2017, 22:38

crispyambulance wrote:I think we should add a few more, like for example a cybran one with nano + engineering to put in the water for naval battles and aeon/sera shield/engineering for the same situation. There are probably more I can't think of off the top of my head that I thought would be useful.

ideally we would have custom presets :P. Choose upgraides and go. maybe save your choice like you save a template...
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby JoonasTo » 25 Oct 2017, 01:02

Sadly presets are just new units so that would probably have to be a simside mod, and a different one for each player in the game :lol:

But yeah, combat engineer presets would be nice. Especially nano+engineering cybran.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby moonbearonmeth » 25 Oct 2017, 01:16

ZLO_RD wrote:you suggest to remove shit presets or what?

I'm suggesting ultimately we look into finding a way to get custom presets which you later came to the conclusion of.

ZLO_RD wrote:It is true that Aeon does not have good combat presets, and they don't have any alternative combat thigns

This was another issue, not necessarily one I wanted to bring up here and everything I'm about to say about it shouldn't be taken too seriously.
Chrono Dampening would've been an interesting thought even if it was a novelty but even without that I think Aeon SACUS could be made better with just some restructuring to where the upgrades even are. What I mean is every other faction has for each upgrade slot a choice between a combination of some sort of 'eco' advantage (be it RAS or Rapid fabrication) and some sort of 'support' advantage (shields, cloak, nano) or a gun upgrade. Aeon other hand have an entire slot dedicated to eco advantage which means it cannot and will not ever get the level of synergy the other factions get.

Morax wrote:I don't get why you hate this concept... It's a really poor showing of background fact-gathering.

I don't hate this concept, I want this concept to be better.
Yeah I spent 30 minutes in a sandbox. Forgive me for not submitting a thesis to the university of FAF in hopes of getting my doctorate.
Ask me about my amazing content production to watch while you wait in a lobby.
moonbearonmeth
Priest

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Suomi KP-31 desu

Postby PhilipJFry » 25 Oct 2017, 08:48

maybe you should try making a less retarded topic name if you want to be taken seriously

imho the combat/rambo sacu presets for aeon are fine (you get the choice between nano which is less expensive and shield which is more expensive)

there used to be a mod for creating your own preset sacus but i doubt it still works (and you had to create the preset every game iirc)
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Morax » 25 Oct 2017, 16:43

I just realized this is the guy who spammed a bunch of nonsense in one of my streams and others...

Moon, you got to sit back and write in a better manner than this. I didn't ask you to submit a thesis theory but as you should see in The message boards there's a lot of heavily-intellectual people here. Convincing other's your point is good will need to see a reduction in the use of meme speak.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Franck83 » 25 Oct 2017, 17:12

If you have some patience and love playing with mods, alliance of heroes will close the gap between Tech 3 units and Experimentals.

This may open some full custom battle solutions for SACU :

With an easy moddable powers / skills system so it may be improved with time :

As you can imagine, this is some work (ie just alliance of heroes Ui is on 2k lines of code...).

I need to make it playable with templates and conservative apm system.
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Next

Return to Balance Discussion