Is there really any point in watching replays?

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Is there really any point in watching replays?

Postby codepants » 15 Feb 2015, 18:00

Blodir wrote:
Flynn wrote:If you know you've power stalled or whatever what's the point.

Trying to figure out what kind of mental pattern ended up with you powerstalling like that and what you can do in the future about it. Just watching the replay doesn't do anything, you have to know what you are looking for.

This.

It sounds like what you are doing is saying, "Ah, I see what I did wrong, but I don't know why I did that, and I don't know what I'd do differently next time."

That sort of thinking obviously won't help you get any better.

Take for example the power stall. What's the solution? EIther (A) don't do the thing that made you power stall next time (upgrade, expensive building, expensive unit), do it slower so it doesn't make you stall or stall so hard, or build more power beforehand.

As a simple example, say you go first bomber but forget the first two pgens. You watch the replay and go "hm, I powerstalled." Next time, either don't go first bomber, or build pgens first.

Or where your bomber got shot down by an intie. The solution is, either don't bet on the bomber, or be able to defend it. This could mean sending it out after some AA, or with inties covering it, or sooner (before your opponent builds his), etc.

Bottom line, your replay watching has to result in you changing something. If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always gotten.

- - -

As someone else floating at the 1200 level in ladder, I will say that it's hard to go beyond this. Most of the games I've lost, I noticed, have been because of micro mistakes. In particular, I lose against a lot of people who go first bomber, and micro it so on one pass I lose all my engies and all my power. Now I could bet on that and build three AA right off the bat... but honestly, that's just not fun for me. I might get better in other ways, but I've also kind of accepted I play at the 1200 level and when I lose because of bomber micro, I choose to shrug it off.
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby Teralitha » 15 Jul 2015, 01:35

If you dont learn anything from watching replays then you are incapable of learning.
Teralitha
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Teralitha

Postby Hascins » 16 Jul 2015, 10:05

Really flynn? :? Another thread about this? Your like Dstoykov...stop talking about things, do stuff!
Hascins
Contributor

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Hascins

Postby JaggedAppliance » 16 Jul 2015, 16:57

Watch your own games and watch the best players' games. Don't just watch though, try to find the plays that gave you or your opponent an advantage. Was your tech timing good? Too early, or late? Should you attack somewhere else or at a different time? Was this the right strategy with the wrong execution or just the wrong strategy? What small things did you miss and how can you avoid missing them in the future?

Most of getting better at any game is eliminating mistakes but you have to find them first.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby TheKoopa » 16 Jul 2015, 17:28

Guys.

This thread is from February.

Please don't revive old threads.
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Previous

Return to General Questions