Selkie Isle - Tacticts and Strategies Discussion

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Selkie Isle - Tacticts and Strategies Discussion

Postby psycoakira » 16 May 2015, 12:22

Dear all,

so I checked the new map and I really like it. But I keep having questionmarks about my head (dare you to try to fulfill a quest at me) concerning the strategy or tactic for the whole map or certain spots.

So I call upon all the high players (2000+ rating) to share their wisdom as follows:

1. Strategy concerning this map

2. Hot Spots and the specific tactic for these.

3. Possible bottlenecks weakpoints and how to protect/exploit them.

4. Build order if it differs from the standard

5. Job per start point.

6. Underlining the importance of specific units.

7. Final thoughts, shout outs etc.

Your help is most appreciated by us mortals and I would like to thank you also in the name of my fellow combatants for your serenity and time you sacrifice for your answer.

Pls try to keep this topic alive and clean.

Thanks and a humble bow

Psycoakira
psycoakira
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: psycoakira

Re: Selkie Isle - Tacticts and Strategies Discussion

Postby Blodir » 16 May 2015, 15:53

some stuff, hope it's helpful:

Basic meta:
Spots for top team from left to right.
1. (beach spot) good for navy and drops (since direct opponent has a huge land area to defend). Also possible to run ACU south if opponent is sub-par, but generally disadvantageous against an equal player.
2. (middle spot) should focus on fighting over the middle island. Walk ACU early or rush a transport and then walk.
3. (rock spot) should rush to t3 air as fast as possible, much like other maps. T3 air is simply too good to pass up, there's no getting around that fact. If you don't have asf by the time your opponents have a strat you risk losing a lot of mexes to it. Note that you don't need any early pgens in this position because of the nearby 2 hydros, you have a very strong beginning, but have less total mexes than others (assuming they take their expansion mexes).
4. (the spot with huge land area) plays quite differently to others. You have a massive amount of tree reclaim here, and you should be making many factories just for engineer spam to reclaim it all. Drops are a natural progression from the many landfactories you built for engi spam. The southernmost mexes are very difficult to defend, upgrade them with caution.

Tips:
- Have a scout patrolling over the back of your base for possible enemy TML bases
- Careful for TML in general, it has surprising range. ACU TML is a nightmare so keep a watchful eye over their ACU
^ abuse them at every opportunity
- The middle mass gives a nice boost to your economy, but be careful of over committing: sacrificing eco for rushing the reclaim can often overweight its advantages
- Hover spam is gooooood
- Frigates can deny total of 11 mexes from enemy team
- Helping with middle island as side positions can be effective, but can easily turn into a huge disadvantage if you don't know exactly what you are doing.
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby psycoakira » 17 May 2015, 10:25

Thanks to Blodir for this first, high class evaluation. Pls do explain without the possibility of misunderstanding (for idiots like me :-) which spot has which name.

Please feel free to contribute further other high class players. Please feel free.

Thanks again to Blodir.

Psyco
psycoakira
Crusader

Postby Vee » 17 May 2015, 10:46

IMO the whole team should rush transport/air for the middle island, except perhaps the side player who can walk over to the enemy side, and make units there. The middle island is very important because of the reclaim and mexes there, and because any land factories you build there can be upgraded for hover spam. It's almost impossible to win with navy rush on the map, I'd rush t3 air instead and play defensive on navy.
Vee
Evaluator

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Vee

Postby psycoakira » 18 May 2015, 19:14

More, we want more.

A more in depth view of the positions and their specific tasks would be highly appreciated. Just include your 5 cents.

Thanks in advance.

Psyco
psycoakira
Crusader

Postby codepants » 19 Jun 2015, 19:16

It's Seton's. Get the better air player on your team.
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby quark036 » 26 Jun 2015, 16:40

Briang, you have to admit if the teams are pretty even, the air player and how fast they can get t3 has a far bigger impact than the other spots.
quark036

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 26 times
FAF User Name: Quark036

Return to Tactics/strategy help