Tactics/Strategy help. Answering your questions.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Tactics/Strategy help. Answering your questions.

Postby keyser » 25 Feb 2015, 01:21

well i did succeed to play with them against percy in sandbox, but when i tried in game, it was shitty as f***. Because I couldn't kite in a range of 5 on multilple front, percy were able to get in range, and then there is no match.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Petricpwnz » 25 Feb 2015, 01:30

keyser wrote:well i did succeed to play with them against percy in sandbox, but when i tried in game, it was shitty as f***. Because I couldn't kite in a range of 5 on multilple front, percy were able to get in range, and then there is no match.

Well this shouldnt be the case since you got bigger range and bigger maneuverability. Dodging percies is really easy.
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu

Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
Petricpwnz
Priest

Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 473 times
FAF User Name: Fremy_Speeddraw

Postby Zigatron » 23 May 2015, 07:12

How do you micro units to chase a Com through a base and only shoot the Com?

Every time I attack the Com directly, my units just stay in one place shooting the Com until he moves out of range and is gone.
If I move the units to start following the Com then they ignore the Com and shoot everything else.
Zigatron

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Zigatron

Postby Vee » 23 May 2015, 13:34

Aeon SCU vs Percy is a bit like aeon t1 scout vs striker.
Vee
Evaluator

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Vee

Postby Petricpwnz » 23 May 2015, 14:23

Zigatron wrote:How do you micro units to chase a Com through a base and only shoot the Com?

Every time I attack the Com directly, my units just stay in one place shooting the Com until he moves out of range and is gone.
If I move the units to start following the Com then they ignore the Com and shoot everything else.

There is no way of doing that, just give a move order behing the enemy com and focus fire when you feel like your units will have enough time to kill him without having to move again.
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu

Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
Petricpwnz
Priest

Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 473 times
FAF User Name: Fremy_Speeddraw

Postby Haxord » 23 May 2015, 21:28

What is the best way to deal with a sera com that has a gun upgrade early on (replay 3455818)? I felt that I had the tech and the eco, and I just did not know how to push the commander back. Eventually died to an unrelated cause due to not scouting, but I feel that his com would have been able to push me all the way back and I lost my HQ. Thanks :)
Haxord
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: ENGY_Haxord

Postby codepants » 06 Jun 2015, 18:46

Haxord wrote:What is the best way to deal with a sera com that has a gun upgrade early on (replay 3455818)? I felt that I had the tech and the eco, and I just did not know how to push the commander back. Eventually died to an unrelated cause due to not scouting, but I feel that his com would have been able to push me all the way back and I lost my HQ. Thanks :)

Hey Haxord.

First let me say that I am no means a pro. I am not saying this is the gospel truth about what you should have done. I am only a lowly 1400 and I'm sure someone higher ranked might have different advice. But since nobody else seems to want to reply, here are my thoughts.

A few smaller things -- not why you lost, but thought I'd mention them.
- You can build your factory on the far side of the mex closest to your hydro and your first engy will get to the hydro much sooner.
- You overbuilt power a tiny, tiny bit. better to overbuild than underbuild, but at 5:00 you were floating +50. Had you been planning on an upgrade that would have been great, but you weren't. Had you gone air that would have been great, but you didnt.
- You should have gone air. On Isis air (IMO) is very important and it's risky having only one player doing it. Also, as you so aptly stated, this would have allowed you to scout.

Here are the reasons why I think gun com screwed you over:
#1. You didn't see it coming. He actually went t2 before he went gun, probably for the extra health and so he could finish gun faster. When someone goes t2, go gun and push them. This almost never fails. All they have is extra health, but you have 2x the dps. They can try and make a t2 pd, but you can oc it.

But you didn't scout, so you didn't see him going t2.

The best way to survive something after it happens is to keep it from happening in the first place. I cannot overemphasize how important it is to scout.

#2. You built your t2 hq too far up. Had you survived the jester snipe, you would have lost anyways because your mirror had t2 and you lost your hq. If you do make that mistake again, as soon as you know you're going to lose your HQ, start another in a safer place.

#3. You tried to put up PD waaaaaay too late. If you had scouted and seen he was going gun and you had gotten up 3 t2 pd, maybe you could have held him off. But 1 t2 pd will always lose to a gun com -- hence why you counter a t2 ACU with a gun ACU. All else equal, and the timing the same, the gun ACU will win if s/he pushes.

I would say by a longshot #1 is the reason. You cannot counter things if you don't know they are coming. You should have gone gun when you saw him going t2, and pushed.

Let's assume he went gun at the same time you did. In that case I would also go stealth on your ACU, and I think rocket bots + stealth are the right choice if you have the apm to micro them. If not, go rhinos, and keep them spread out so his o/cs are less effective.

Since ilshies cost ~2x as much as any other t2 unit, your overcharges are twice as mass effective, so every ilshie you o/c to every unit of yours he o/cs puts you ahead. Lastly, you would need air control to keep him from scouting, because the counter to stealth is constant scouting. From there you might put up one or two t2 PD to keep him at bay while you kept kiting with rocket bots. I would anticipate he would go turtle against the rocket bots. They have the longest range of any t2 unit, and with stealth and air control they are basically impossible to counter at the t2 level, so people tend to turtle against them. So in anticipation of a turtle I would also start making MMLs. And if you can't keep air control, some flak as well.

But basically. Scout. Counter t2 ACU with gun. Counter gun with gun. Anticipate. Prepare.
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 08 Jun 2015, 10:13

What codepants said is all valid, but let's assume the gun ACU catches you with your pants down.

IMO you should just retreat unless you have an unholy amount of T1 spam or support from an allied ACU. Unless on small 1v1 maps he probably doesnt want to get really far from his own lines anyway, in fear of air or being swarmed. Spam up some walled T1 pd with engineers at a safe distance. Meanwhile you should really be able to get some higher tech online, instead of a stream of T1 spam feeding vet to the enemy ACU.
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby theeggroll » 09 Jun 2015, 23:04

Whenever there's a super kick ass nano gun shit com i go for air. The commander cant really counter air so it works a lot better. your strats will not be overcharged :D
GMT - 6 http://spooky.github.io/unitdb/#/
When in doubt, Blame Gorton
theeggroll
Priest

Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 98 times
FAF User Name: theeggroll

Postby fluffycake » 02 Aug 2015, 23:24

Can someone give some advice about the following situation? Petric-Senpai uwu

Selkie Isle, 4v4 game. Relatively balanced (70%) noob game.

So I spawn in the position closest to the central island, and start by taking mexes/hydro and reclaiming nearby trees. At around 4 minutes, I establish a base on the island and (eventually) drive my mirror away with the help of my air player by around 15 minutes.

At this point, I've made a couple Cruisers, Battleships, BCs, and shield boats to help my adjacent naval player gain an advantage. Eventually, our naval player overwhelms his mirror and kills him with a corsair snipe.

Unfortunately, our air player is still pumping out interceptors at ~25 minutes; his mirror has a substantial eco lead and already has a decent sized group of ASFs. My adjacent naval player and I start to produce ASFs in an attempt to compensate, but we're already behind.

After a few decent engagements, a chunk of my navy dies after a large group of submerged seraphim destroyers + Subhunters + Aeon T2 Subs manage to surround two of my battleships. Groundfire takes out three or four subs, and maybe two destroyers (Still a horrible trade). The naval player didn't really help out at the time, since he was busy building a monkeylord.

Eventually, we lose to a Czar. It comes by and takes out one naval player...gains veterency...kills the air player...levels my base...gains more veterency...and takes out around 1/3 of the other naval player's base. Our combined ASFs were nowhere near enough.

So...what should have I done :/
fluffycake

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: fluffycake

PreviousNext

Return to Tactics/strategy help