1v1 Improvement?

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: 1v1 Improvement?

Postby Aurion » 18 Feb 2015, 22:27

Flynn wrote:I disagree with drops, even with air superiority your transport can be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get shot down, three t3 tanks lost in one go. Remember I speak from experience, I have played 3.5k games all together.

You ask for advice to improve, yet I have only seen you dismissing every piece of advice ever given, often by players that are way better than you (this isn't an insult). If you actually want to improve you need to try the advice and practice on it to get better. If you don't want to practice and improve, that's fine too. You first need to decide what you want. I kinda decided that I won't get to be a top player because I don't have enough time to practice all the time and that's fine.
Aurion
Priest

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: NuclearPudding

Postby Flynn » 18 Feb 2015, 22:38

Like I said in the very quote you replied to, I speak from experience. Obviously I have made the judgement based on experience which means that I have tried these suggestions.
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Postby Flamingo » 18 Feb 2015, 23:50

Flynn wrote:Like I said in the very quote you replied to, I speak from experience. Obviously I have made the judgement based on experience which means that I have tried these suggestions.

Well drops are kind of a risk/reward thing, aren't they? You can't say to never perform drops. What if you can get a unit of skirmishers over a ridge your opponent was relying on as a natural defense? Interceptors might stop bombers or gunships that go over there, but land a small ground force and you'll wreak havoc, even if some of that force dies en route.

It's the same as building stationary artillery. Normally it's worthless, but there are those rare occasions when you look at the earlier availability, slightly higher range, and larger attack power, you see they've got TMDs, and you can go for it. After that they can either eat the shells flying into their base, they can build shields, or they can push to destroy your artillery before it earns back its looming price tag. Stationary artillery isn't very good and you shouldn't recommend using it casually, but you can predict how it will make your opponent respond and that's what strategy is all about. Making your opponent respond in the ways you want.

I mean, you've got these tools. They do things. Some tools are called for much more rarely and you've got to respect their practical value, but if you see a situation where you've got to unscrew one of those stupid flat-head hexagon socket screws, don't try to pry it out with the back end of your hammer. T1 land spam is effective and versatile, but watching the top players, they use all kinds of very nasty tricks on each other and don't seem to discount anything they've got if they spot an opening.
Flamingo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Flamingo

Postby nine2 » 19 Feb 2015, 02:09

honestly you must make some big mistakes in game. you just need someone to watch your replays and point them out for you. as you become aware of more and more mistakes you would slowly phase them out, win more games, and rating goes up to 1500.

so my advice would be to find someone who has the time for that ... and then be super nice to them and not so argumentative all of the time.

or get zock lessons. he will straighten you out.

(I got zock lesssons. they are brilliant)
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Viba » 19 Feb 2015, 18:59

Flynn wrote:I disagree with drops, even with air superiority your transport can be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get shot down, three t3 tanks lost in one go. Remember I speak from experience, I have played 3.5k games all together.

How about scouting for AA and opponents air units first, then trick the opponent to send air units away from your drop by making a non-expensive bombing run on the other side of the map or something similar?
Viba
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 224 times
FAF User Name: !smurfcheck Viba

Postby codepants » 19 Feb 2015, 19:26

Flynn wrote:Like I said in the very quote you replied to, I speak from experience. Obviously I have made the judgement based on experience which means that I have tried these suggestions.

I'm sorry, but someone has to say this.

You're being an ass.

Obviously your experience is wrong.

You're the person who rides a bike that doesn't fit and then decides all bikes are crap (I'm a bike mechanic, but choose your metaphor).

You have 3.5k games. Congrats. Apparently that is meaningless because you are still lower ranked than the average player with only 1k games.

Don't listen to experience then. Listen to rank. As long as you listen and try new things -- even things that haven't worked before. Excuse the bike metaphor again, but the first time you get on a race bike, it hurts. So you train on a bike with a less aggressive stance. Then later you get on the race bike and it works beautifully.

You are the person stuck on the bike of a novice. Stop being so stubborn, and take the advice of the people who are better than you, because clearly what you are doing isn't working, even though you've done it 3,500 times.

I've played with you, talked with you, I like you and respect you. But if you keep being stubborn you will not get better.
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby Flynn » 19 Feb 2015, 22:33

Flamingo wrote:

Well drops are kind of a risk/reward thing, aren't they? You can't say to never perform drops. What if you can get a unit of skirmishers over a ridge your opponent was relying on as a natural defense? Interceptors might stop bombers or gunships that go over there, but land a small ground force and you'll wreak havoc, even if some of that force dies en route.

It's the same as building stationary artillery. Normally it's worthless, but there are those rare occasions when you look at the earlier availability, slightly higher range, and larger attack power, you see they've got TMDs, and you can go for it. After that they can either eat the shells flying into their base, they can build shields, or they can push to destroy your artillery before it earns back its looming price tag. Stationary artillery isn't very good and you shouldn't recommend using it casually, but you can predict how it will make your opponent respond and that's what strategy is all about. Making your opponent respond in the ways you want.

I mean, you've got these tools. They do things. Some tools are called for much more rarely and you've got to respect their practical value, but if you see a situation where you've got to unscrew one of those stupid flat-head hexagon socket screws, don't try to pry it out with the back end of your hammer. T1 land spam is effective and versatile, but watching the top players, they use all kinds of very nasty tricks on each other and don't seem to discount anything they've got if they spot an opening.

Good examples, you've got a way with words, I'll grant you that.

codepants wrote:

I'm sorry, but someone has to say this.

You're being an ass.

Obviously your experience is wrong.

You're the person who rides a bike that doesn't fit and then decides all bikes are crap (I'm a bike mechanic, but choose your metaphor).

You have 3.5k games. Congrats. Apparently that is meaningless because you are still lower ranked than the average player with only 1k games.

Don't listen to experience then. Listen to rank. As long as you listen and try new things -- even things that haven't worked before. Excuse the bike metaphor again, but the first time you get on a race bike, it hurts. So you train on a bike with a less aggressive stance. Then later you get on the race bike and it works beautifully.

You are the person stuck on the bike of a novice. Stop being so stubborn, and take the advice of the people who are better than you, because clearly what you are doing isn't working, even though you've done it 3,500 times.

I've played with you, talked with you, I like you and respect you. But if you keep being stubborn you will not get better.

Reasonable post, if a little harsh.

Edit: I understand why I can't improve. It's because I've got a memory like a sieve. Every game I forgot some basic thing, whether it is energy spam, to build air, raid, tech, factory rally points, anything. I just don't seem capable of remembering everything. It is beyond my capabilities and that is why watching replays won't help me.
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Postby Hascins » 20 May 2015, 11:25

If you think you have just problems with remembering things....try the notifications UI Mod...it reminds you of different things at certain time stamps during the game.

But still...if you can execute all the things properly that Vee listed, you definitely gonna be at 1500 ranking!

I made the experience that everytime I hit the ceiling and tried to change something, I dropped in rating....but afterwards I bounced back and overcompensated the loss. But it takes a bit of time to build new habbits. For me its about two weeks.

And drops can be very, very, very effective. Of course the risk increases if you have no air superiority and if you dont scout. But this is exactly why you need to train this. Try to do two drops at the same time, scout, try to distract your opponent etc. All top-level-players do drops! That is a pretty good sign that drops are valid ;) Especially if you are Sera and drop Ilshavoh or if you are Aeon and drop Harbs e.g.

And regarding the general plan before the game. This doesn't mean you HAVE to execute this plan exactly the way you originally wanted. Its more like getting aware of the metagame of the map and the strategy you wanna execute.

For Roanoke Abyss for example it is crucial if you can catch the early transport of your opponent. So you can think about a strategy to deny that transport. But of course you need to stay flexible as the game develops.
Hascins
Contributor

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Hascins

Postby Cuddles » 20 May 2015, 11:42

Or you could just say F$#@ it all like I did Flynn. I had some very fun games recently by not building a factory first.

Embrace your inner troll.

3431886.fafreplay
fun
(28.4 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

3431796.fafreplay
fail
(58.98 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Turinturambar defended very valiantly
Cuddles
Contributor

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 118 times
FAF User Name: Scoot

Postby prodromos » 24 May 2015, 03:18

Flynn, being 1100 or 1250 doesn't make you such a bad player.
Either we embrace reality, or we set fictional and unrealistic goals.
There are only 100 players who are between 2500 and 1500 and I suspect
That there are not many more between 1500 and 1000. Wanting to improve
Is good and all, but feeling desperate because you are between the first
300 and not between the first 100 players is vanity. It doesn't let
You enjoy the game in the end. This is like saying that since the average
Chess player is 1600 and the gm Carlseen 2800ish , we should all strive to reach
2000 so as to show our genuine will to improve? This is complete bull and you know it.

Anyway this is not pointed only at you but to all the other good people
Who propagate the illusion that you somehow are average when you are 1600,
And a noob when you are 1200 or 1300. Maybe 1600 is where the average should
Be. But it isn't, and this reflects mainly basic human imperfections.And in the meantime
The real average is something around 200.

Some food for thought.
prodromos

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 19 times

Previous

Return to Tactics/strategy help