Pgens around initial mexes?

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Pgens around initial mexes?

Postby stalewee » 10 Oct 2012, 00:06

I've noticed that a lot of the top players build 3 pgens around each of the first 4 mexes, particularly on Seton's. Why is that? It seems like it just gives a very minor energy discount, or is it enough to be significant?

I usually leave the surrounding space empty for future mass storage. Is that a noob mistake?

EDIT: just had a thought. Do the surrounding pgens make the upgrade from T1 to T2 cheaper?
stalewee
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: stalewee

Re: Pgens around initial mexes?

Postby rootbeer23 » 10 Oct 2012, 00:23

stalewee wrote:I've noticed that a lot of the top players build 3 pgens around each of the first 4 mexes, particularly on Seton's.

When the bases are far apart from one another, the first 5 minutes are usually unchanged, so that a minor refinement of the BO can be done, even if it is largely insignificant. So people do it because they can. It may save you around 200 energy at a time in the game where your income is around 100E/s.

stalewee wrote:I usually leave the surrounding space empty for future mass storage. Is that a noob mistake?

EDIT: just had a thought. Do the surrounding pgens make the upgrade from T1 to T2 cheaper?

thats the point of the procedure. The energy consumption reduction of a mex not being upgraded is miniscule.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby -_V_- » 10 Oct 2012, 07:53

stalewee wrote:I've noticed that a lot of the top players build 3 pgens around each of the first 4 mexes, particularly on Seton's. Why is that? It seems like it just gives a very minor energy discount, or is it enough to be significant?

I usually leave the surrounding space empty for future mass storage. Is that a noob mistake?

You said it, "top players". Not sayin it matters much, but the energy bonus during the mex upgrades can be interesting, especially at high level when details matter even more.

I'm a bit annoyed by it sometimes cause then i need more time to reclaim the pgens and i'm a very slow clicker.
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 13 Oct 2012, 14:03

Anyone know how to make a UI mod that allows you to click a button to send idle engineers to reclaim T1 power?
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby ZLO_RD » 16 Oct 2012, 20:28

yes, they make it for the bonus while you upgrade mex, for bonus of E consumption of mex, you will reclime t1 pgens anyway so why not to have thouse bonuses, also on setons factories connected to 4 pgens with that build order (as i remember but i have no played 300 days :p)
Also you can ask why 3 when you can buld 4 - thats just because thouse 3 you can build without any moving, to build 4th one you have to move acu (better buld with acu and send ingeners to capture mexes and reclime forest)
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Return to Tactics/strategy help