Biggest myth of SupCom: Never build static D

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Biggest myth of SupCom: Never build static D

Postby Flynn » 11 Jan 2017, 15:51

Something the pros used to say back in 2007 was to never build static D. I think this carries over from the Total Annihilation days because static D in TA was very expensive and low ranged.

In SupCom it was made far more effective and since I have habitually started building static D in my expansions again I have noticed myself winning more often.

So my recommendation is to build static D and let it look after your expansions for you! And before someone says it can be destroyed by a single arty, it takes micro from the enemy to do that which significantly delays him and thus gives you time to respond with your own units.

I used to build static D but spent a long time trying to get out of the habit of it, based on flawed wisdom. Now I am getting back into the habit I find my expansions not falling to a swarm of t1 tanks anymore and it's really cool!
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Re: Biggest myth of SupCom: Never build static D

Postby zachyattacky » 11 Jan 2017, 17:30

Walled pd very OP no doubt
zachyattacky

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: zachyattacky

Postby ZLO_RD » 11 Jan 2017, 20:53

recently it got less OP since you can just attack move and not worry about your t1 arty running into PD range.
but as soon you killed that arty killing PD becomes pretty hard.
walled t1 pds are inconsistent, sometimes they die instantly, sometimes they can tank TONS of damage, you can even extend their lifetime sometimes if you repair walls.

Edit: recently i build those quite alot, and i see pros make walled t1 pd, t1 aa, radar and all that kind of shit at every expansion
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby angus000 » 11 Jan 2017, 21:46

Pros don't say to never build static defenses, they say 'don't build only/almost exclusively static defense.'

It's a very generalized tip, of course it's not something set in stone, but the point is to incentive noobs into learning the efectiveness of units, and apparently it worked with you, so it's a good advice.
angus000

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: flexible

Postby RocketRooster » 14 Jan 2017, 06:11

How is walled PD overpowered? A static emplacement is supposed to be a hard rock precisely for the purpose of defense. That is why you have artillery/mml. It's how it works in real life and it takes skill to counter it with the appropriate offensive unit or to outflank it.

Allied soldiers facing pillboxes and machine gun nests in Europe and the pacific didnt go "WTF HAX sarge!". They called in arty or crocodile tanks. God help you if that backup wasnt available and that's the way things are supposed to be.

I'm of the opinion that the theme of giant walking robots and lasers can sometimes mask what this game is really about.
RocketRooster

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: RocketRooster

Postby biass » 14 Jan 2017, 06:55

Its op because its bugged uwu
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby RocketRooster » 14 Jan 2017, 07:06

If you're referring to the issues with wall hitboxes, then you'd be missing the point, which is that the wall hitbox issue is only an issue when trying to counter PD with precisely the type of direct fire unit the PD is countering. Walls are ineffective against arty and mmls, so imo it's a storm in a teacup.
RocketRooster

Postby biass » 14 Jan 2017, 08:52

You're missing gameplay examples

there are times where you might not have arty or you're attacking an expansion and the defending engineers are spamming up t1 pds in range of your units

if every time you saw a panic pd or etc and you went back and then waited for the arty to kill it (dont make mml to kill t1 pds...) then you will probably get rekt

hitbox issue also hurts gun acus that end up needing to do overcharge to kill pds (bit of a waste)

[EDIT]: dont do this realism trash, its a game, the lives of your units are ultimately considered mass investments, not human lives

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Postby RocketRooster » 14 Jan 2017, 15:29

You're not describing bugs though, are you? In any event, what about panic PDs makes it op? if the player has enough resources and build power to spam up PD, then that is his advantage. And in the face of an offensive that doesn't have enough staying power to deal with the build power spamming up the PD, then that attack deserves to fail, wouldn't you agree? This notion of "I made it into your base, therefore you need to hurt" is just silly.
RocketRooster

Postby biass » 14 Jan 2017, 16:12

You're not getting the point, im just going to leave :D

biass
Contributor

Return to Tactics/strategy help