Destroyers

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Destroyers

Postby ladderff » 15 Dec 2016, 22:17

Am I missing something? Here's the unit comparison https://spooky.github.io/unitdb/#/UES0201,UAS0201,XES0102 for Aeon and UEF destroyers. The Aeon boat severely outclasses the UEF one in every category (except antiair where the Valiant has a pea shooter and Aeon has nothing) and is the same exact price. The direct fire weapon does more than twice as much dps with 33% more range. It outranges the Cooper by even more and a bulwark is only worth the hp of one additional destroyer.... What is UEF supposed to do against Aeon in the water here? I think people are going to say "torp bombers" but even if there is literally nothing shooting back at them, they take forever to kill anything. Thoughts?
ladderff
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: ladderff

Re: Destroyers

Postby speed2 » 15 Dec 2016, 22:24

It has 2 cannons, but yes aeon destroyer has better stats, but it can easily miss a shot, wasting all that damage

Another thing to consider is that T2 UEF navy comes with shields that are really good.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby ZLO_RD » 15 Dec 2016, 23:24

UEF frigate can help agains aeon destroyer so he miss more cause of jamming, tho i still think Aeon navy is superior. but uef can beat them in low number of t2 ship fight, if you dodge all those aeon destroyer shots.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby PhilipJFry » 16 Dec 2016, 09:40

If you have issues with uef t2 navy i recommend heavy t1 frig spam followed by Battlecruiser rush.
Spoiler: show
assuming the map is big enough for t3 navy to be a thing.
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby codepants » 20 Dec 2016, 05:45

speed2 wrote: T2 UEF navy comes with shields that are really good.

If I'm correct he's saying that mass-for-mass they should have some sort of equivalence. Making a shield makes the UEF combo cost more.

PhilipJFry wrote:If you have issues with uef t2 navy i recommend heavy t1 frig spam followed by Battlecruiser rush.

Again... he's not saying he has issues with UEF navy... just that two units that cost the same amount of mass should have rough equivalence on the battlefield.

I haven't compared the stats but assuming he's correct, they do cost the same and Aeon destroyer has better stats -- then yes, this seems like something is wrong. Unless we are saying that slow projectile speed drops the effective cost of the Aeon destroyer.
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby PhilipJFry » 20 Dec 2016, 09:13

If you look at it stat wise then yes the aeon destroyer is superior to every other destroyer in terms of direct fire damage, torp damage, torp defense and it also has depth charges. The only downsides of this unit are the lack of aa and the muzzle velocity in combination with the rate of fire.

So you either have air control and can spam enough torp bombers to kill them + the aeon cruiser with mobile t2 shields.
Spoiler: show
Good luck with that.

Or you outmicro the aeon destro.

I didn't make my statement because i think he's bad or anything. Its just that t3 navy rush is the easiest/best solution for uef navy.
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby JoonasTo » 20 Dec 2016, 13:10

speed2 wrote:Image
It has 2 cannons, but yes aeon destroyer has better stats, but it can easily miss a shot, wasting all that damage

Another thing to consider is that T2 UEF navy comes with shields that are really good.

It has two, twin-barreled cannons actually, the database is again wrong here, like with almost all multi-turret/barrel units. The real DPS for the Valiant is 275. Compare that to 240 for the Salem, 212 for the Exodus and I'd say they're doing just fine(I think Uashavoh has 250 but not sure.)

So far as surface damage goes, UEF destroyer has the most. It also has excellent health, good turret placement and good muzzle velocity in combination with a decent firecycle(that actually makes it harder to dodge than Salem in practice because it's harder to time) making it a very good destroyer if you can get it into range.

As noted, the relatively low torpedo damage means that it has issues beating anything else than T1 submarines, forcing the UEF player into building coopers to counter T2 submarines/seraphim destroyers. But only if the enemy masses them. It takes a long time for a T2 submarines or submerged seraphim destroyers to actually kill the UEF destroyers. The situation is quite similar to Frigates vs T1 Submarines.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Return to Tactics/strategy help