Half a hundred advices that gonna change your game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Half a hundred advices that gonna change your game.

Postby Darth_Google » 20 Oct 2016, 20:24

Im a 1300 rated player at the moment and myself along with my friends find a great success in following those tips so i think i gotta share them with a newer playes to spread the experience, so hereby i present to you a little guide on..

How (not) to win your FAF game.

1) Think on your build order every few seconds!
2) Ignore the air factories until the need arises: since you can counter air with AA, there's no need to waste your mass on facs and planes, and if you REALLY need those, you can always build them later!
3) Expect your micro to carry you through the game and to compensate for your mistakes. It works in every RTS!
4) When you push enemy with your com and the opponent is on the run, you are in your right to take your attention elsewhere just for a few seconds to maybe build up your eco or line up adjacency. 10+k hit points along with gun upgrade give you a room for error!
5) Dont build a t1 arty: you can kill a t1 point defence with an OC and decisive sweep of your tanks!
6) Dont panic if enemy hits T2 land before you do, if you have a large enough army.Surely, your few dozens of Strikers can kill this half a dozen of Rhinos and if you lose some new ones from the factories are coming!
7) If enemy com is on the full retreat with a sliver of HP left, immediately corner him and pursue at any cost. You can finish it now else he gets a chance to rebuild and strike back. First is infinitely more preferable!
8) Dont build stationary tactical missile launchers until you have a good reason to. The launcher along with the missiles is a waste of mass if you have no targets for them, and its absolutely unreasonable to have a tac launcher on stand by!
9) If you gonna build your tac launchers, you better do it in bulk. Queue up a tac battery: the more missiles at once you have, the more damage you do with a first strike and they can get past more TMDs. Eight could be a good start!
10) Hydro is literally the most efficient gen at t1. It means you can save mass and almost neglect building a t1 power generators for quite a long time if you rely on your hydro!
11) T2 mass extractors are a damn good investment even on small maps. If you are not sure on who have the better map control, do an upgrade immediately since in will aloow you to bring more tanks than the enemy very soon and will tup the balance in your favor. It usually happens at fifth-seventh minute!
12) Dont let your units stay on your base: the response group is unneeded. There is no point in reserves in this game at all since you can just build more when you need, so throw them on the frontline instead!
13) If your commander got a new shiny gun upgrade early, which is about before minute ten hits, move him out and use very aggressively. It is common knowledge that unupgraded com is worth about 20 tanks, which means if you have a gun its a good 40, and even more if you have overcharge available. This means you can flank with your main force and go straight for the enemy base while your ACUs is getting veteran levels super fast!
14) Dont rush your com for the middle or the frontlines: better to build a little more units to ensure your advantage over the enemy.
15) Dont build too much factories on your core base, and two is already quite many. Better move your com closer to the enemy and build up your six factories there. Half a minute or minute more before you have an an army dont really change anything!
16) When you are in doubt on what to spend your resources which you think you have too much - always build an experimental!
17) Always try to upgrade your ACU as close to the frontline as you can. In this case he is always in the vicinity so you can use him and he can act as a makeshift point defence, but better since he have a 10+k hit points!
18) If artillery begins to hit your com while he is upgrading, dont cancel the upgrade just yet. You are going to lose a lot of resources, so it may be worth to tank that damage since you have THAT much of a hitpoints compared to anything on t1 and you always can fall back anyway!
19) Always build your t2 and t3 power generators adjacent to your factories. The bonus is huge and its very unwise to ignore!
20) If enemy raids your eco, pull back your units that are doing the same and maybe your main force. You gotta defend whats yours before you take the fight to the enemy!
21) T1 bombers are not really worth it since they are easy to counter. Build your interceptors and scouts but dont touch the bombers!
22) T1 transport along with light assault bots is the best raiding unit out there since it can fire with impunity, you can drop LABs if transport is about to die and you can even go for a com kill with this. Try to adjust your build order to deploy a ghetto ASAP, preferably when the minute 3 or 4 hits.
23) You should not spend time on setting up a manual reclaim. Give your engineers a patrol order instead and they will eventually reclaim everything you need!
24) If enemy air scouts continously pass over your commander's head, you have a little to worry. The reason for such activity is purely because enemy is scared of you. It is especially true if you play against Aeon or Cybran since those are inherently more cowardish!
25) Dont risk your inetrceptors without a good reason since if you lose them you lose air. Let them stay landed since you can always react to your opponent's actions and order a take-off!
26) You can always delay your attack, but if you charge your enemy too soon you are risking to lose all your army!
27) Remember that your commander is virtually invulnerable to enemy tanks or artillery when he is in the water. Abuse this all the time and dont be afraid of anything. There's little for you to fear, expecially if you are matched against a Cybran!
28) A single well-defended T2 radar installation is better than a few T1 radars scattered around the map. I can swear on this!
29) If enemy naval forces are about to everwhelm yours and come dangerously close to your base, build a bunch of t2 stationary artillery. It counters ships really well!
30) If your enemy starts to turtle behind the shields, dont build a t2 mobile missile launchers. They are easily countered with tactical missile defense. Tanks can crack the enemy so much better and if you have no MMLs you are going to have more tanks!
31) Rely on a complex tactical patterns. For exaple, in the moment your bomber kills the ehemy radar your main force begins an advance. In the same time you drop an artillery behind his main base and launch a pinpoint tac missile strike at his extractors. Plans like there are hard to read and therefore to counter beforehand, but the best reason to use them is that you clearly demonstrate your strictly superior skill to the opponent!
32) T2 army does not need a T1 mobile artillery since it becomes too fragile on that stage of the game and loses a range advantage. You'll be better off building more tanks!
33) T2 fighter-bombers are better than a T1 interceptors. They can take on both ground and ir targets and since they have higher tach level they just got to be better on both things than their T1 predecessors. Its only natural!
34) Frigates get obsolete the very time someone deploys a destroyers. If you have a t2 navy, stop using t1!
35) Dont hurry with building energy storages since you can always build them when you see you are goind to need an overcharge.
36) If you are begin building them, may as well get the most out of them. The best way is to surround your hydrocarbon power plant with them since the adjacency is always good!
37) Never build you factories adjacent to the extractors. Since the t3 MEX surrounded with a mass storages is strictly better than a t3 MEX adjacent with a factory, its never worth doing the latter!
38) If you are going to drop enemy base use tanks rather than artillery. They are tougher which transitions into surviving more, whicn in turn, means they are going to do more damage. Also they can fend off a few units the enemy may scramble to counter your drop!
39) Be persistent and metodical in overwhelming enemy defence lines. If something gets in your way, remove it before moving further. If its a turret - kill it first so it wont have a chance in damaging you. If its a unit group - take them down and dont let them live. Its never worth running past them since they can hit your rear if you are not careful!
40) If your second factory is an air one and you aim for a quick nomber dont worry if you experience a short powerstall. Its ok - since its going to be worse for your enemy very soon!
41) Dont use a land scouts: they tend to die if someone shoots in proximity. Stationary radar installation is superior!
42) T2 range bots and mobile shields are few of the worst units in the whole game. Dont use them in any situations: former have a worse HP/DPS/mass ratio than tanks and latter consume a lots of power!
42) Always prefer a stationary AA to the mobile. Its more powerful!
43) T3 mobile artillery is useless. Dont build it, never ever. Period. Everybody should be able to understand that!
44)If enemy have a fleet while you dont, you can kill it with a T2 hovertanks. You just need to get close!
45) T1 light assault bots are the unit that you can and should use even 5 minutes into the game. Preferably mexied in your main force!
46) Click with a righ mouse button on an overcharge icon to put it on autocast and leave it be. This removes a need in an annoying microing!
47) If your opponent is playing a Cybran, you dont have to scout more often than you scout other races. Stealth generally sucks since its hard to use and not many people know how so there's no need to overwork yourself!
48) If your enemy set up a firebase with a few point defence turrets, use your radar. You can always see a new buildings on it which means scouting it with a spy planes is a waste of time and mass!
49) When you analyze your replays, pay attention to the details. Not your build order, eco and map control - you have it covered, for sure, but rather the wasted opportunities. If only you had a few bombers THIS very moment.. that would change everything!
50) Launch your nuke as soon as its ready. If you delay it, be it for any reason, even assesment of the situation - you give your enemy time which he can use to build a strategic missile defence!
51) If you are playing a team game, it is most likely that your ally is a reason of your side's misplays and shortcomings. Dont forget to tell it to him since otherwise he wont be able to see the error of his ways!
52) If your Cybran opponent have quite a lot of power generators it is most likely means he is preparing to turtle, hard. Dont build an unnecessary rows of t1 point defences near you com or nuke defence!
53) Build your mass storages as soon as you can since this way you will get most out of them. Its best when done on T1!
54) If you need to upgrade you extractors, do few at once. It allows you to reduce the downtime!

If you read it all, you must have figured its a joke, but in case you did not, i should say it directly:

IT IS A JOKE GUIDE.

Some of the advices may seem sound but thats because i tried to reflect a flawed logic behind them. Those are the mistakes many new players tend to made and i personally may have followed like a half of the list sometimes. Few of those can be actually a good in some situations but they are very risky to attempt and new players are more likely to be at a bad situation after executing them. In general, following those tips is going to kill you and lose you a game. I warned you.

On the other hand, identifying and learning their bad habits is what's gonna help a player get better.
A useful guide for a newer players that i find a great success following to.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=13336
Darth_Google

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Darth_Google

Re: Half a hundred advices that gonna change your game.

Postby Evan_ » 20 Oct 2016, 22:07

I would like to add to the (not) guide!

55) Always spam t1 subs early on, even if your opponent is sending boatloads of frigates! they are better than frigates for winning early navy because frigates can't fight back!
56) If you are fighting on uneven or hilly terrain as Seraphim, always make their T3 tanks! Othumms are low to the ground which means they can hide behind cover!
57) If you have a Fatboy, send it in close to the enemy! Their riot guns have short range so you need to front with it to use it!
Evan_

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 80 times
FAF User Name: Evan_

Postby biass » 21 Oct 2016, 02:04

wat
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Exotic_Retard » 21 Oct 2016, 08:37

58) dont blame Tokyto. Its clearly your fault and not just him building walls and funneling his opponents spam into your base again <3
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Darth_Google » 21 Oct 2016, 10:29

biass wrote:wat

Im not sure if you know but here in Russia we have a little humoristic book called 'Bad Advices' written by Grigoriy Oster which look something like that..

There's whole bunch of them and basically they advise children to be a mean bastards EXACTLY the way their parents are going to be annoyed with.

This thing actually is very wide known for its comedic value. So yeah, the post above is basically another bunch of bad advices with the same principle applied, just unrhymed.
A useful guide for a newer players that i find a great success following to.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=13336
Darth_Google

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Darth_Google

Postby Voodoo » 21 Oct 2016, 11:47

Darth_Google wrote:2) Ignore the air factories until the need arises: since you can counter air with AA, there's no need to waste your mass on facs and planes, and if you REALLY need those, you can always build them later!

But this is excatly how I think about it :D
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby Tokyto » 21 Oct 2016, 13:55

59) when you are frontline with ACU, always use patrol so you can reclaim while you go manage your base or make a coffee
Tokyto
Evaluator

Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 302 times
FAF User Name: Tokyto_

Postby Zock » 21 Oct 2016, 16:11

60) If you assist your shield with your ACU, it'll stay safe
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby TheKoopa » 21 Oct 2016, 16:17

Voodoo wrote:
Darth_Google wrote:2) Ignore the air factories until the need arises: since you can counter air with AA, there's no need to waste your mass on facs and planes, and if you REALLY need those, you can always build them later!

But this is excatly how I think about it :D

:DDDDDDDD
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby ZLO_RD » 21 Oct 2016, 16:21

Tokyto wrote:59) when you are frontline with ACU, always use patrol so you can reclaim while you go manage your base or make a coffee

I know this is supposed to be funny thread, but sometimes do exactly that (except coffee part), cause sometimes I don't want to spend apm on manual reclaim
But don't want to have my acu idle in the middle of reclaim field.
You just have to be aware of what can happen when you patroll ACU, and that you have to check what it is doing every 10 seconds or preferably less
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Next

Return to Tactics/strategy help