MML vs Arty

Moderator: PhilipJFry

MML vs Arty

Postby ladderff » 06 Oct 2016, 14:55

UEF: at T2 there's no issue because MML is the only option

What are advantages/disadvantages between T3 MML and T3 Arty? When do you recommend using one vs the other?

One obvious consideration is TMD, but other than that?
ladderff
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: ladderff

Re: MML vs Arty

Postby belatedcube » 07 Oct 2016, 00:43

Spearheads (T3 mml) are cheaper than the demolishers (T3 mobile arty) last time I checked.
[BC]Totaltuna: always look before you tab
belatedcube

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: belatedcube1021

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 07 Oct 2016, 02:27

1) Spearhead is accurate af
2) Arty is less accurate but deadly af, requires a shield to be stopped or micro.
3) Spearheads can easily overwhelm TMD and break through any defense.

Here are your facts. Use each unit according to your needs. If you are cracking a turtle base - use MMP (Mobile Missile Platform, AKA Spearhead) to break through the shields and kill them. If you are fighting a field battle - use arty to take out groups because MMP has little AOE if any, arty has good AOE and is specifically designed for it.
Last edited by Lieutenant Lich on 08 Oct 2016, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby nocaps » 07 Oct 2016, 05:56

lich i honestly can't tell if you're being facetious

no missiles trace, arty are incredibly inaccurate + have lower dps + have aoe, spearheads are not good vs tmd at all (better than flapjacks but that's not saying much), and spearheads are always perfectly accurate (as are all missiles), eg has literally 0 firing randomness. i have no clue what you're on m8

spearheads have truly insane dps (more than 3x an arty), are half as expensive as an arty + nearly twice as healthy, and can shoot while moving; they are also mediocre vs tmd, have a grand total of .5 aoe (a triad has 2), have a lower range (80 vs 90) than an arty, and cannot hit moving targets at all.

use arty vs anything you expect to move, or any time you want to kill things in close proximity to each other. use spearheads if you only ever plan on using them to break bases and have the apm to target them all to different things (because they will all waste shots on one target if you don't), or when having the ability to kite + stay mobile/alive is more important than the ability to do damage (use mobile shields to protect both units either way)
nocaps

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: nocaps

Postby biass » 07 Oct 2016, 07:17

use arty to kill shit under shields with tmd imo

use spearheads if something really specific needs to die

normally you would ruin a firebase with mml but tbh a few arty does it better
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Exotic_Retard » 07 Oct 2016, 08:46

spearheads underused!

can move while firing, cost 2 times less than arty, nice 1700hp, way more dps (without tmd)

like mml they beat tmd mass for mass, but not super effectively, however the best thing is to use a combination. (and sync fire huehue)
i.e. spearheads kill shields and them arty kills shield building, and then tmd and then everything else.

but yeah most useful for killing structures, kinda useless vs units, unless they are standing still

http://www.faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/un ... 04,XEL0306
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Apofenas » 07 Oct 2016, 12:13

Spearhead is a very usefull unit. Spearhead is much better unit for most game situations.

It is much more efficient unit, so it breaks fire bases way easier. 4 t3 arty is a lot, but can be held by fire base shielding. For same price you can get 8 Spearheads - that's much harder to stop.

It costs only 400 mass, has more HP and can shoot while moving so it is better as a supporting unit in Percival force.

If you see t3 pd, what unit would you build? T3 arty is most common choice, but it needs to stay immobile to shoot(exept aeon). UEF player will just use Spearhead to destroy that t3 arty, its wreck and its grandchildren with single valley.

There is an interesting use of Spearhead drops: drop a couple behind enemy lines, but comparatively away from the target you need to snipe, make a valley or two, get them on transport and move them in other location. Like a strat that is immortal to ASF once you drop them.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby ZLO_RD » 07 Oct 2016, 15:40

i would choose MML cause they have 3 times more dps and cost twice less and can shoot while move
but they don't work well against moveing targets and have ~0 aoe, and don't outrange rawanger
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby TheKoopa » 07 Oct 2016, 15:48

ZLO_RD wrote:i would choose MML cause they have 3 times more dps and cost twice less and can shoot while move
but they don't work well against moveing targets and have ~0 aoe, and don't outrange rawanger

Ravager has 70 range and spearhead has 80 lol
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Morax » 17 Oct 2016, 19:45

I played a game where I made 25 spearheads with a little micro so they don't bunch up and they rolled t3 mobile arty under shields like you wouldn't believe...

A UEF gun/shield comm there to keep away units that try to pick them off and you will stream roll people.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Return to Tactics/strategy help