Please explain engie assist to me Topic is solved

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Please explain engie assist to me

Postby Darth_Google » 04 Oct 2016, 02:56

What does it have to do with efficiency, how does one use it and how to calculate what engies you need and how much?

Goes for Kennels and Hives too.
A useful guide for a newer players that i find a great success following to.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=13336
Darth_Google

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Darth_Google

Re: Please explain engie assist to me

Postby biass » 04 Oct 2016, 03:11

everything builds using a term called buildpower, the more you have, the faster you build

As for calculating how much to use, don't, just build one thing at a time if possible and try not to have a huge mass stall for 30 minutes.

T1 engineers are considered a good form of buildpower but higher tech engies have less pathfinding issues and ofc, can build better tech, kennels and hives are not considered very efficient because of their cost.

Hope this helps.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby LtSurge » 05 Oct 2016, 04:06

Engineers, among plenty of other units, have the ability to Assist other units and structures.

Normally, having an Engineer selected and hovering over another unit or structure will have a yellow icon appear. This is the icon for Assist command.

Right-clicking will have the selected Engineer assist the Right-clicked unit or structure until ordered otherwise.

When selected, units and structures can be manually ordered to assist others by Left-clicking the Assist Command (yellow icon) and then Left-clicking the desired unit/structure.

Assisting will mean different things for different structures and units. However, for Engineers, they will stay within range of any unit or structure they are assisting and will perform repairs when they are damaged, increase building and/or upgrading speed for other builder-units or structures, and help Shield Generators recharge. This comes at the cost of Energy and Mass, of course.
LtSurge
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Darth_Google » 05 Oct 2016, 10:52

I was asking about using the thing on practice.

For example, people say that using any engineers for assist but T1 is a waste and is really inefficient.

Or that you never assist a nuke or antinuke since that will drain your resources but wont really add a speed.

So when, why do i use engie assist, how critical is it and how do i check beforehand if my economy can deal with increased resource drain? How at all do i calculate that drain?

Darth_Google

Postby CookieNoob » 05 Oct 2016, 11:11

as biass explained buildpower is the critical thing. A t1 engy has 5 build power, a t1 factory 20. So assisting the factory with 4 t1 engies will effectively double the production speed. If you want to calculate how much mass/power is needed for assisting you can just compute it from the unit stats:

Ressourcecost / s = (buildpowerT1*Number_of_T1engy+buildpowerT2*Number_of_T2engy+...) / Buildtime_of_Unit *Resourcecost_of_unit

If assisting is efficient or not can be calculated by dividing the buildpower of a unit by its masscost. T1 engies are the most efficient assisting unit (support factories are similarly efficient), hives are also quite efficient, kennels are really inefficient (2x the masscost per buildpower compared to t1)

Assisting a nuke (15000 mass, 1080 buildpower) with 216 t1 engies (~11000 mass) will double the speed with which the nuke is loaded. The problem with assisting a nuke is that you need a lot of buildpower to make a noticeable difference.

higher tier engies are quite useful also for assisting, they are not as efficient but they have less pathfinding problems (less units with the same amount of buildpower) and have a higher buildpower density, so if you need to get some buildings fast (emergency t1 pd) this is quite useful. The higher tech also allows to build shields or t2 pd...
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
CookieNoob
Priest

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 249 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Postby Darth_Google » 05 Oct 2016, 13:57

Thank you, it finally makes some sense to me.

And the correlation is linear, so if i double the buildpower i get half the buildtime and there are no hidden stacking penalties or something?

Darth_Google

Re: Please explain engie assist to me  Topic is solved

Postby Vanguard » 05 Oct 2016, 16:28

Darth_Google wrote:Thank you, it finally makes some sense to me.

And the correlation is linear, so if i double the buildpower i get half the buildtime and there are no hidden stacking penalties or something?

Yes, exactly that. The only kind of penalty would be that having 216 T1 engineers assisting in your base means, if you parked your ACU somewhere in there you will NEVER GET OUT! NEEEVVVEEERRR! :lol:
Vanguard

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Vanguard

Postby tallian2 » 26 Oct 2016, 21:02

Didn't the last patch make all engies equally efficient?
tallian2
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Tallian2

Postby Vanguard » 27 Oct 2016, 10:53

tallian2 wrote:Didn't the last patch make all engies equally efficient?

Going by the Unit Database, which I think is still accurate when it comes to engineers:

Engineers Amounf of Mass per Unit of Buildpower ( M/BP )
T1 52 mass / 5 builpower = 10.4 M/BP
T2 140 / 12.5 = 11.2 M/BP
T3 440 / 30 = 14.6 M/BP

So, theoretically T1 engineers have the best Buildpower per Mass Ration.

As to spamming the most amount of buildpower in the shortest amount of time ( without factory rolloff time )

Engineers Buildpower per factory output - Time to construct 1 Unit Engineer on factory Buildpower ( E/FBP )
260 / 20 = 13
700 / 40 = 17.5
2200 / 90 = 24.4444

So T1 Engineers rule supreme :roll: . AFAI understood the balance: Higher level engineers allow you to be more flexible and have less clutter in your base, while T1 supply the most amount of buildpower with the drawback of not being able to navigate your own base anymore. Hives ( at least the unupgraded version, don´t have the costs of higher upgraded versions ) are somewhat in the area of T3 engineers with 14 M/BP.
Vanguard

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Vanguard

Postby TheKoopa » 27 Oct 2016, 14:17

Database has actually not been updated for a while iirc and there's a lot of stuff wrong.

Either that or engi buff hasn't been patched into faf yet
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Next

Return to Tactics/strategy help