Efficiency in economy

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Efficiency in economy

Postby RavenCurow » 30 Aug 2016, 06:30

I notice that a lot of times in game Im way behind in economy. I'll have teammates and enemies that cab build tons of Experimentals before I can even sustain enough for one. I always wonder how they do it cause when I look at replays even the high ranked players seem to have redlined mass in their economy which slows down build time. People will use like 50 engineers on one factory and it seems to work. So how can I speed up my eco and get things out faster?
RavenCurow

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: RavenCurow

Re: Efficiency in economy

Postby biass » 30 Aug 2016, 06:32

You probably overbuild units you dont need or dont reclaim fast enough or just dont tech your mass extractors fast enough

scouting helps all of these

remember to sequentially upgrade mexes one at a time instead of doing like 3 at once
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby RavenCurow » 30 Aug 2016, 06:41

Could be the problem. I do upgrade them sequentially though. I also don't put storage on them till T2. I think it could be a lot of timing as I notice in a lot of maps I get stuck on the front line so I fall behind in eco trying to fend off the enemy. Maybe I just need better judgement between what to build and when.
RavenCurow

Postby angus000 » 30 Aug 2016, 08:41

biass wrote:You probably overbuild units you dont need

This is the only reason you could fall behind in economy if you are doing it fine. It's not bad to make units, but they need to pay themselves. If you find yourself in a situation where you are way behind on eco, you need to attack and eco up, never defend (unless your enermy is pushing hard, but then he's not ecoing and you have the advantage of the defender, who gets the reclaim).
angus000

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: flexible

Postby RavenCurow » 30 Aug 2016, 09:32

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to apply them. I guess it's just more experience I need.
RavenCurow

Postby Hawkei » 30 Aug 2016, 09:51

Even when you think you're, "doing it right", there could be a lot of inherent inefficiencies in your game - and considering that this game economy operates on an exponential growth model small changes to your early game can have a huge impact later on. For instance, every time:

- There is a delay in your production (such as an idle factory, idle unit, or ACU derp);
- There is a delay in your expansion to new mass points;
- There is a delay in bringing in your reclaim;
- You build something which doesn't give you more mass;
- You build too much power;
- You build something which you don't need;
- You make a sub-optimal economic upgrade (such as making mass fabs before T3 mex, or making T3 mex before everything is T2); and
- Every time your opponent does damage to your economy.

You are incurring an efficiency penalty. It is the cumulative effect of these small inefficiencies compounded by an exponential growth model which leads to huge differences in economic strength later on. Of these, the last point is the hardest to manage. Every time you make a combat unit you are hurting your economy - but if you don't make them then:

1. You will be unable to damage your opponent; and
2. Your opponent will do damage to you.

The question is whether or not the investment in combat units justifies the hit which your economy is taking. Essentially, what this means is that if making the extra units is not essential to your objectives - then don't make those units. Increase your economy instead.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby la0michael » 24 Sep 2016, 06:23

I recently started being brave enough to play online as well, and i have a question in relation to economy efficiency.

Does Stalling your mass hurt you? ( i would like to learn how to spam, from multiple factories but i feel like a mass stall may hurt me as well?)

and when upgrading mexes how does one do the thing where you gain t2, and reclaim all your t1 p gens while building a t2 one?

I've watched several videos on economy but they only really tell you starting build orders and the efficiency of that,. no one ever really goes into detail on how someone techs up and keeps economy high while fighting.
la0michael
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: la0michael

Postby biass » 24 Sep 2016, 07:45

la0michael wrote:I recently started being brave enough to play online as well, and i have a question in relation to economy efficiency.

Does Stalling your mass hurt you? ( i would like to learn how to spam, from multiple factories but i feel like a mass stall may hurt me as well?)

and when upgrading mexes how does one do the thing where you gain t2, and reclaim all your t1 p gens while building a t2 one?

I've watched several videos on economy but they only really tell you starting build orders and the efficiency of that,. no one ever really goes into detail on how someone techs up and keeps economy high while fighting.

Hello, i tried to answer you in aeolus but you went offline or smth
Yes, stalling your mass does hurt you, when you have mass in storages you can use all your buildpower but when you are stalling you can only use as much buildpower as you are generating (in mass),
So, if you have say 50 mass income but 100 buildpower, and you DO have mass in storage, you're building with 100 buildpower
If you are stalling, you are only building with 50 buildpower

And for question 2 do you mean getting t2 power? typically people reclaim pgens when they have too much power and not enough mass, and usually a t2 gen can make a t1 gen obsolete so if they have enough power, people will reclaim the t1 one

If you're new, i would not try to keep a perfect power balance and i would say to overbuild it just a little to stop a huge fail

Good luck!
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby ax0lotl » 09 Oct 2016, 10:46

la0michael wrote:Does Stalling your mass hurt you?

There is one exception where stalling mass should be avoided: missiles (nuke, anti-nuke, TML) do not build when you stall mass or energy.
ax0lotl

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: ax0lotl

Postby Vanguard » 12 Oct 2016, 12:18

ax0lotl wrote:
la0michael wrote:Does Stalling your mass hurt you?

There is one exception where stalling mass should be avoided: missiles (nuke, anti-nuke, TML) do not build when you stall mass or energy.

Also Repair pads / Cruiser landing pads / Fatboy Landing pads will repair aircraft at snails pace. :geek: Can be a bit annoying if you need to refuel and aircraft just won´t clear the pads.
Vanguard

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Vanguard

Return to Tactics/strategy help