The Seraphim

Moderator: PhilipJFry

The Seraphim

Postby Smokamrok » 26 Jul 2016, 00:51

Hello,

I'm still rather new and I would like to give the Seraphim some attention. Since I haven't seen anyone play as Sera, I didn't get to see them live.
Could you Seraphim Commanders please tell me some strengths and weaknesses, important/outstanding units or structures and the general playstyle of the faction?
(e.g. Cybrans being stealthy and rather aggressive)

If you know something about the Sera ACU itself, please describe some good upgrades / upgrade combos. :mrgreen:

And if you're going to just say: "The Seraphim suck!" or "The Seraphim are awesome!"
please be so kind as to explain why. ;)
Smokamrok
Crusader

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Smokamrok

Re: The Seraphim

Postby biass » 26 Jul 2016, 08:00

Some notes about seraphim

~Seraphim is the only other acu to have a gun + t2 combo (aeon halfgun not counted)
They also have ARAS, and tml options, along with some nice regen orientated options as well
Seraphim transports are the best in the game, with hilarious capacity

Seraphim t1 artillery floats, and is considered one of the best, you will often see them being spammed over water
Sera t1 bombers are considered very good (the best?)
Sera scouts cloak when standing still, and can block mexes
Sera t1 subs have a deck gun, having higher dps

Seraphim t2 bot is considered one of the best t2 units, and is often rushed
Sera t2 hover tank can one shot an aurora
Sera Flak can hover
Sera t2 pd is a very accurate laser beam
Sera t2 destroyer can become a sub, and its lasers are accurate
Sera t2 cruiser can fire mml from long ranges
Sera TMD is considered decent
Sera t2 bomber drops a single high damage bomb good against buildings
Sera t2 gunship is not preferred

Sera t3 tanks are the best dps/mass of all t3 units i believe
Sera t3 shields are very good, but expensive, they do hover
Sera t3 sniper has dual modes, including a 2000 damage alpha shot, they're considered the best
Sera t3 maa can fire its LIGHTING STRIKE at ground targets
Sera t3 battleship also doubles up as a nuke launcher
Sera t3 sub hunter has AA guns on deck, but dies in a single pass to a aeon t3 torp bomber

Sera t4 bot has a ball of lighting that unleashes after death, this also hurts yourself, so be careful

Sera SACUS dont have ras options but do have tml instead

Im sure you can find some replays to look at, i enjoy sera for a fun push faction
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Hawkei » 26 Jul 2016, 09:56

biass wrote:...
Sera t3 sub hunter has AA guns on deck, but dies in a single pass to a aeon t3 torp bomber

http://www.faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/un ... 04,XAA0306
I think you will find that it actually takes two passes to kill it.

But yes, Seraphim are an often misunderstood faction. The UEF is the turtle king of defence. The Cybrans are the masters of stealth and sneak attacks. The Aeon is the sniper faction, with glass cannon ranged units. But the Seraphim - they could be best described as an assault faction. Their units are shorter ranged, multi-purposed, high armour, and with high damage dealing. So the seraphim like to get up close and personal. They are a steamrolling faction.

You have an awesome ACU, which when upgraded can be force of destruction. You have SCU's which can upgrade to operate as mobile TML batteries, or as overcharging troops. You have a T4 bot which deals a lot of suicide damage - and this is part of how you are meant to play Seraphim. You actually need to be a little bit suicidal and get in your opponents face. They do have a capable defence; but the heart of Seraphim play is extreme violence.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Zock » 26 Jul 2016, 10:39

Hawkei wrote:
biass wrote:...

http://www.faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/un ... 04,XAA0306
I think you will find that it actually takes two passes to kill it.

Or maybe you will find out that trusting the unit db blindly is not a good idea when arguing with people who know much about the game. ;)
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby biass » 26 Jul 2016, 10:42

I was about to record the thing but shadowplay sucks balls

go see 4978715, where torp bomber one shots subhunter

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Postby Mephi » 26 Jul 2016, 10:50

some more advice

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrS9QsyUnTXhhYw3mAjBAeA
Top Level 1v1 POV and Casts
Mephi
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 134 times
FAF User Name: Mephi

Postby Smokamrok » 26 Jul 2016, 11:32

So from my own testing, the Aeon Solace does destroy the Yathsou in one pass indeed. But why? The database says that it shoots 4 torps totaling 2000 dmg, When it actually launches 8 torps for 4000 dmg. Is that just an error in the DB?

The Seraphim Shields have the most hp out of all the static shields (according to DB) Doesn't that make them good for turtling as well?

Last question:
I have heard some ppl complaining about the T3 Othuum being a terrible unit because supposedly their lower dual cannons tend to hit the ground quite frequently, wasting DPS in the process. However from my own testing (Othuum vs Percival) on flat ground and on elevations, that is not the case, as the projectiles are launched in a small curved trajectory.
Can any of you confirm the rumors or my testing?
Smokamrok
Crusader

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Smokamrok

Postby biass » 26 Jul 2016, 12:02

I think it's good you do your own testing

also, othuum elevation was kinda changed to help that, idk

biass
Contributor

Postby Zock » 26 Jul 2016, 12:05

So from my own testing, the Aeon Solace does destroy the Yathsou in one pass indeed. But why? The database says that it shoots 4 torps totaling 2000 dmg, When it actually launches 8 torps for 4000 dmg. Is that just an error in the DB?

Yep.

And we did indeed change the othuum a bit to make it hit the ground less, but people also tend to overdramatize small problems. ;) It happened very rarely.
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby Hawkei » 26 Jul 2016, 15:14

Zock wrote:Or maybe you will find out that trusting the unit db blindly is not a good idea when arguing with people who know much about the game. ;)

...So your trying to say that the Unit DB is not correct. What good is a database if it isn't correct?
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Next

Return to Tactics/strategy help