Early game help plz

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Early game help plz

Postby Masyaka » 26 Jul 2016, 14:45

Hawkei wrote:Try scouting. Pay particular attention to his base. You are specifically interested in how many land factories he has, how many mexes he has upgraded, and whether or not he has gone for tech. If you have a couple less land factories this will put you on the defensive, and you will need your ACU to make up the difference. If he has a lot more (and the resources to power them) then this will end the game if you don't do something about it. If this happens you need to defer your eco and make more immediate units. Teching is risky and takes time. Also remember that a mex upgrade is equal to 20 tanks which you will not have now. So if not having 20 tanks now will lead to you loosing don't do the upgrade. Make more tanks.

Think of it like scissors, paper, rock. In this game you can spam, eco, or tech. His spam vs. your eco is the scissors to your paper so he is basically forcing you into a spam war. Unless you can nullify this thread you need to match him.

building a swarm enough to get thru 2 PDs takes likely 7 minutes even when i sit only on 4 mexes and give him whole map, if he didnt got an idea to destroy PD with arty, he will have to spam arty, meanwhile ill go T2.
Masyaka
Priest

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Rok-Weiler

Postby Hawkei » 26 Jul 2016, 14:59

Masyaka wrote:
Hawkei wrote:Try scouting. Pay particular attention to his base. You are specifically interested in how many land factories he has, how many mexes he has upgraded, and whether or not he has gone for tech. If you have a couple less land factories this will put you on the defensive, and you will need your ACU to make up the difference. If he has a lot more (and the resources to power them) then this will end the game if you don't do something about it. If this happens you need to defer your eco and make more immediate units. Teching is risky and takes time. Also remember that a mex upgrade is equal to 20 tanks which you will not have now. So if not having 20 tanks now will lead to you loosing don't do the upgrade. Make more tanks.

Think of it like scissors, paper, rock. In this game you can spam, eco, or tech. His spam vs. your eco is the scissors to your paper so he is basically forcing you into a spam war. Unless you can nullify this thread you need to match him.

building a swarm enough to get thru 2 PDs takes likely 7 minutes even when i sit only on 4 mexes and give him whole map, if he didnt got an idea to destroy PD with arty, he will have to spam arty, meanwhile ill go T2.

Not necessarily. He can 'bum rush' it with a swarm of T1 artillery, which considering he has in mind the destruction of your economy/base, he has probably been accumulating anyway. The alternative for him would be to meat shield with ACU and possibly overcharge PD. While the swarm dispatches them. Once he is past the obstacle you are ruined, and as most attackers know time is of the essence. He has invested in that army so he needs to make it count.

The problem for you is that by investing in PD you still haven't taken the initiative. As he still gets to decide when and where the battle will take place.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Masyaka » 26 Jul 2016, 15:12

Hawkei wrote:
Masyaka wrote:

Not necessarily. He can 'bum rush' it with a swarm of T1 artillery, which considering he has in mind the destruction of your economy/base, he has probably been accumulating anyway. The alternative for him would be to meat shield with ACU and possibly overcharge PD. While the swarm dispatches them. Once he is past the obstacle you are ruined, and as most attackers know time is of the essence. He has invested in that army so he needs to make it count.

The problem for you is that by investing in PD you still haven't taken the initiative. As he still gets to decide when and where the battle will take place.

Well if he makes arty to only kill my PD im just wasting his time, he will need to build tank army next, if he has already suicided it at my PD, neither i need luck to get to T2 and then use my ACU as meatboy, scince main target is sniping the ACU, and T1 units are very slow in it.
Masyaka
Priest

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Rok-Weiler

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 26 Jul 2016, 17:15

You cannot sit on 4-6 mexes. Should you do so, you will not live very long and you will stall mass hard. The key to playing and winning both ladder and team games is to expand, secure expansions, build more units given resources coming from extra mass extractors (later as "mexes"). If you have mass and energy (mass from mexes in your main base and on your expansions, energy from hydrocarbon power plant (if you have a spot, later as "hydro") and power generators (later as "pgens")), you can build tanks off your factories. Those can be used in combination with radar to detect incoming raids that target your expansions and then you can divert your units to beat the raid and keep the expansion.

Should you desire to not worry about your expansion, just put a small garison and a T1 PD there, as well as radar and check up on it from time to time.

If you ask "But where do I get mass early on when I have no expansions?", I answer:
Send your first engy to build hydro if there is one as you will need power, send next 1-2 to the closest mex clusters to build them. Then send 1-4 engies to reclaim (Select factory and alt-right click on trees/stones/wrecks) so you have some mass income besides your starting mexes.

On 5x5 maps, do not do air first or second. It is safer to do air third, fourth or even fifth. On 10x10 you can do 2nd air if you have hydro. On 20x20 you definitely need 2nd air, whether or not you have hydro (just do enough pgens before building air factory)

If you wonder how to set up land spam, figure out what your army needs depending on your faction and what your reconnaissance tells your about your enemy. If he is making PD - alt-right click out of a factory and loop mobile artillery/mobile missile launcher (if you are at T2 (later as "arty" and "mml", respectively)). If he is upgrading to a higher tech, either storm him fast while he has fewer units or get the same tech to counter your foe. If he is making a lot of units of the same tech as you are, you can make same or more to win OR transition to a higher tech. Should you choose higher tech, ensure that you have enough units to hold off your foe.

That is when PD comes into play. If you want to rush a tech, ensure that you have enough lower tech units to hold off your enemy. If you are not confident of your capabilities, you may elect to build static defenses to slow down your enemy and buy you time to rush tech. Usually players tend to not build arty unless forced to do so by enemy PD. So until it comes and kills all your PD, you can get several minutes to get the stronger tech and build some of those shiny, new and powerful units.

That is my advice. Suggested spam build orders are in the spoiler.
Spoiler: show
T1 land
UEF - 5 tanks + scout
Seraphim - 5 tanks + scout
Cybran - 5 mantis + scout
Aeon - 3 tanks + scout (because range and auroras need radar

T1 air (all the same)
5 interceptors (AKA "inties") + scout + bomber

T1 navy
3 subs 1 frigate or 3 frigates 1 sub, depending on enemy naval composition.

T2 land
Just take a tank/assault bot (seraphim), sequence it up and done. Do so on many factories and do not forget about flak, reserving at least 1 factory to building it.

Do not know the rest because my ladder games rarely last into late T2 and T3 stage
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby NapSpan » 26 Jul 2016, 19:41

Just do mixed army from start and change BO during game, my configuration is
1 engie
2 tanks
1 mAA,
2 tanks
1 Arty
1 scout
With that you have resources to control any danger (bomber, PD, auroras etc...)
We have "Continentals" so moving shit around must be important.
NapSpan

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: NapSpan

Postby keyser » 26 Jul 2016, 19:47

as a general advice, first spam should be tank only with some scout, and in mid T1 phase, you should be adding some arty (to kill pd, and to do aoe damage at range to opponent army.) the number of arty in the mix will depend of your faction.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby NapSpan » 26 Jul 2016, 20:16

keyser wrote:as a general advice, first spam should be tank only with some scout, and in mid T1 phase, you should be adding some arty (to kill pd, and to do aoe damage at range to opponent army.) the number of arty in the mix will depend of your faction.

Well, you are right, that was my BO in my production factories, in the first one I build:
2 engy,
2 LAB
1 engy
as many scouts as I need to detect any raid (micro needed to not lost them)
1 tank (to counter that enemy early raid)
1 engy
1 tank
1 engy
1 tank
50 engies
NapSpan

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 27 Jul 2016, 00:48

That'll do. Except I was suggesting a spam build order, not a starting one.

My mod:
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Postby NapSpan » 27 Jul 2016, 01:08

LichKing2033 wrote:That'll do. Except I was suggesting a spam build order, not a starting one.

Por spam the first one I posted:
1 engi first (to help building factories maybe or to reclaim stuff, engies are ever usefull)
2 tanks (because...tanks, https://youtu.be/qNy6lWSYne0?t=20s )
1 mAA (to kill those annoying first bombers or whatever flying shit that pass over your army)
2 tanks again (you never got enought of these ones)
1 arty (Lobos do "Auuuuuuuuuuu!! Auu Auu Auu Auuuuuuuuuuu!!",at least the Spanish ones)
1 scout (intel is good).
NapSpan

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 27 Jul 2016, 03:05

NapSpan wrote:1 engi first (to help building factories maybe or to reclaim stuff, engies are ever usefull)
2 tanks (because...tanks, https://youtu.be/qNy6lWSYne0?t=20s )
1 mAA (to kill those annoying first bombers or whatever flying shit that pass over your army)
2 tanks again (you never got enought of these ones)
1 arty (Lobos do "Auuuuuuuuuuu!! Auu Auu Auu Auuuuuuuuuuu!!",at least the Spanish ones)
1 scout (intel is good).

Y u no early scouts?

Spoiler: show
But seriously, I'll try that build order. I have 2 engy, 2 labs, engy, tank, scout, engy, tank, scout (repeat as needed), 3 MAA which are often late to the battlefield

My mod:
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

PreviousNext

Return to Tactics/strategy help