Syrtis Major strategy Topic is solved

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Syrtis Major strategy

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 09 Jul 2016, 21:07

What's an appropriate strategy on Syrtis Major? Assume I am UEF or sera.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Re: Syrtis Major strategy

Postby Nepty » 09 Jul 2016, 22:09

All I remember is you have to use your ACU to build factories up a cliff at the start. Use the attack move cheat with factories to collect the red trees with engineers. That's all I got. Something about spamming factories too.

Going air 1st is logical too, but don't fly center map. AA is there.
Original join Date: August 21, 2012 | Original FAF account: Cybrankiller | Highest skill rating: 1780
Favorite map: Vale of Isis | Favorite faction: UEF | Favorite opponent: Anaryl | Favorite pro: Chosen
Nepty

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 56 times
FAF User Name: Sapphire

Postby Hawkei » 10 Jul 2016, 03:46

Air first isn't really great advice. Air Second is usually best. You need to put early pressure on to the opponents expansion using both land and air units. Air first means you will be delaying those critical raiding units and will lack the necessary tanks to defend against the same.

You want to move out with some artillery and engineers are reclaim the civilian structures in the middle. That quantum gate is a huge mass gift which normally decides the game. Expect the opponent to move their ACU there - and expect that you will probably need to do the same.

The next important step is securing your own side expansion point which is in the adjacent cul-de-sac. While at the same time denying your opponent theirs. It is a long way for engineers to travel, so your 3rd or 4th engineer should be heading to this location. Killing these engineers will really slow your opponent down.

This is about where the general advice ends. There really are so many different ways of playing this map. The terrain is very closed and lends itself well to defence. Indirect fire and ranged units play a prominent role on this map. Because they can be placed on the cliff tops and destroy any units or structures on the low ground. Maintaining control of the high ground is therefore very important.

The map lends itself well to drops, gunships, bombing, air attacks, and artillery. TML's are a constant menace. Rushing a T4 Assault experimental, or T2 bomber snipe is common.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby biass » 11 Jul 2016, 02:50

just play it how you want, if you play it the same time every time people will know, you'll be dead before you even start

take half map, fight for mass, idk there is not much to say unless you want some stupid overthinking

i know there is meta for edgebuilding but if you can take halfmap and not crash eco in 5 minutes you'll beat most people under 1k so do whatever keeps you afloat
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Nepty » 11 Jul 2016, 03:02

biass wrote:just play it how you want, if you play it the same time every time people will know, you'll be dead before you even start

take half map, fight for mass, idk there is not much to say unless you want some stupid overthinking.

Exactly. Being predicable is a perfect way to get your face smashed in instantly. I strongly recommend mixing things up. Especially if it's a rematch on that same map.
Original join Date: August 21, 2012 | Original FAF account: Cybrankiller | Highest skill rating: 1780
Favorite map: Vale of Isis | Favorite faction: UEF | Favorite opponent: Anaryl | Favorite pro: Chosen
Nepty

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 56 times
FAF User Name: Sapphire

Re: Syrtis Major strategy  Topic is solved

Postby Blodir » 13 Jul 2016, 11:29

watch my replays on syrtis

Being predictable doesn't really matter if you are playing safe and better than your opponent

Besides, 99% of players won't be able to abuse your predictability anyway
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Hawkei » 13 Jul 2016, 12:04

Blodir wrote:watch my replays...

I think you just answered every map related strategy question which ever has and ever will be asked. Well done.

Edit: I did as you suggested. Very nice set piece strategy you have there.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 13 Jul 2016, 17:00

Saw Blodir vs. TAPAKAHbI4. Impressive. I see the principle now, ty.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby Voodoo » 13 Jul 2016, 19:12

Me vs ZLO from 2014 when I was young :)

2469319-Voodoo.fafreplay
(73.3 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby keyser » 13 Jul 2016, 19:56

Being predictable doesn't really matter if you are playing safe and better than your opponent

getting abuse because you go always for inte spam after 2nd air facto.

Your statement isn't accurate, but having a safe BO is always nice to have.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Next

Return to Tactics/strategy help