Bite more than you can swallow Topic is solved

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Bite more than you can swallow

Postby Hawkei » 14 Jun 2016, 21:02

codepants wrote:This seems reactive, not proactive.

I've noticed the winner is typically the one "in control" of the game AKA the one being proactive and forcing the other player to react.

I would love to see some advice along those lines...?

But to the point of the thread, which is Lichking's specific replay... yea, scout, build facs sooner, and if you can't defend your ACU don't send it up.

You are correct. However, reading the OP's gameplay description should give you an idea of where he's at. Being reactive is an improvement of being non-reactive and non-responsive. Obviously, being proactive and seizing the initiative are strong tactical virtues. But when done in complete ignorance of what your opponent is doing is just as likely to loose your games as it is to win them.

The two key teachings which I am attempting to make are:
1. To gather intel
2. To respond to that intel.

Which are based on the specific problems which the OP is encountering. Namely, being overly aggressive, not gathering intel, and getting caught in an unfavourable position, with insufficient forces, and getting killed. The basic problem here is the gathering of and responding to intel. As well as ( I suspect) Insufficient build power applied to the making of units necessary for his chosen tactic.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby codepants » 16 Jun 2016, 18:31

Hawkei wrote:...

Fair enough, but being that the OP's question has been answered (I gather this from the check mark next to the thread title), might you entertain me by providing advice for those of us looking to be proactive?

I could also start another thread, but it seems just as well to re-purpose this one.
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby Hawkei » 16 Jun 2016, 20:18

Well yes I can try. In the context of what I was explaining earlier, being proactive doesn't just mean using intel to determine what a player is doing, but also what a player will do. It means reading a tactical situation and extrapolating what the opponent can do in what space of time, what they need in order to achieve that outcome, and how this can be denied. What kind of thread that posses and how to defeat it. In basic terms this means that not only should you be matching your opponent, but, you should be exceeding (and preferably) also countering them.

What you seem to be suggesting is that the initiative should be seized by a attacking first. Having a clear plan of attack, and launching it before an enemy attack can be launched. With the only hope being that you can strike so quickly that there is not time for the enemies adaptation. You are hoping that the action will be over so quickly that your plan does not require revision.

There is however another strategic concept which is central to taking initiative - and (in Chess terminology) this is called tempo. Tempo is defined as the speed at which an attacking formation can be reconfigured, or redirected. This may mean physical tempo - as in the ability to literally move your units and attack a different position. Or it could mean how quickly you can change from spam to tech, or tech to eco, etc. Or how quickly you can deal with emerging threats...

Now the idea of tempo, in a Chess game, manifests itself as the ability to efficiently move pieces around the board and shift your focus of attack. It is governed by efficiency of movement and good positioning. In Supreme Commander it is governed by having the flexibility in your force composition to deal with new threats - as well as the ability to shift your economy and utilise it in different ways.

Above all, in a game where there is the fog-of-war, intelligence plays a pivotal role in gaining tempo. Intelligence allows you to know at the earliest possible time when you have been countered, or when a new threat emerges. Thus, it is entirely possible to seize the initiative with a defensive play. Simply by using intelligence to accelerate your decision making cycle. If you can produce counters before your opponents threat even becomes manifest - then you will have gained an economic advantage and taken the initiative.

Basically, the way I play this game is the same way I play Chess. It is what I like to call the, "Blank Slate", strategy. 95% of the time I don't go into a game with any preconceived idea of what my strategy will be. My only plan is to win the intelligence war, learn what my opponent is doing, and counter it. Identify and probe weaknesses - with no clear goal in mind. Instead, my early attacks are executed randomly for small gains. With the sole aim of probing my enemies boundaries, thwarting his expansion, and generally throwing a lot of little attacks with a multitude of different threat types. Such that the opponent will become confused and aimless.

I do early LAB aggression, early bomber, small tank pushes, lock down with PD, build a TML and queue up targets. Put interceptor patrols in his face, do a run-by with T2 bots, shove some Janus down his throat, and drop some Lobo in his backyard... I am always making sure that I know more, see more, and try to have too many things going on for him to effectively deal with.

In military terms, this is what is known as the OODA loop. Observe, Orient, Decision-making, and Action. If your OODA loop is faster than your opponent you will be much more effective. It is pretty much "what is he doing, what does this mean, what do I need to do... and then execute"... Over and over and over. The faster you can make the happen, the more likely you are to take initiative, and hence, win games.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy

Postby Masyaka » 31 Jul 2016, 15:31

Im opposite of your side, sit in my base and eco with enough resources.
Masyaka
Priest

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Rok-Weiler

Postby biass » 01 Aug 2016, 05:59

Hawkei wrote:Stuff that will never be applied in game

nice

Masyaka, a t2 mex is only worth 2 extra t1 mexes, you might have one more t2 mex then your enemy but if he has the whole map and you're sitting in your base he has so much more eco then you it's not even funny
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Hawkei » 01 Aug 2016, 06:44

biass wrote:
Hawkei wrote:Stuff that will never be applied in game

nice

Masyaka, a t2 mex is only worth 2 extra t1 mexes, you might have one more t2 mex then your enemy but if he has the whole map and you're sitting in your base he has so much more eco then you it's not even funny

Nice necro Biass.

I don't see the need to comment on this thread. The conversation ended weeks ago, and you have failed to make any meaningful contribution.

As for the, "stuff that will never be applied in game", there are some players that do apply these things in real games - and myself in particular. Though, they don't normally think of it in those terms. Because it has become second nature - and when you understand my post then you will begin to understand my mental state and the reasons why I am able to beat you on those occasions when I have done so.

The most common reason why I am able to beat my opponents, even when put into a defensive footing, is because I have been able to get 'inside the head' of my opponent. When I read the intel, I can develop a mental picture of what the game will look like in 5 minutes time, and then deploy my often limited resources to directly counter that thread before the threat is manifest. Doing this often requires a strong game knowledge and is often also derived from observation of the player themselves. Every player has there own habits and idiosyncrasies - and when this intimate knowledge is known, can easily be exploited.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Postby biass » 01 Aug 2016, 07:46

mayas necroed and i made a more meaningful contribution in a sentence then you did in like 8/10 paragraphs

biass*

"those occasions" after that literally one time and i even said i cannot wait for you to gloat about it

ggwp
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Hawkei » 01 Aug 2016, 18:37

biass wrote:mayas necroed and i made a more meaningful contribution in a sentence then you did in like 8/10 paragraphs

biass*

"those occasions" after that literally one time and i even said i cannot wait for you to gloat about it

ggwp

Not gloating, just explaining. If you don't understand then that is your loss.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 01 Aug 2016, 21:28

Let's not turn this into a shitposting thread.

Spoiler: show
Cease necroing finished threads, Masyaka.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Previous

Return to Tactics/strategy help