Trying to at least be decent, help? Topic is solved

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Trying to at least be decent, help?

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 11 Mar 2016, 05:03

TheCanadianJedi wrote:
TheKoopa wrote:Calm down guys, no need to be so aggressive. Especially you Lichking.

EDIT: godamn autocorrect

Did I cause something here? Really hope I didn't cause a big argument.

No argument. I tried to give an advice and briang, as usual, jumped at it as a possibility to say I am too immature to advise newcomers. Btw Koopa, I am usually calm. And I don't demonstrate it on forums for sure.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby briang » 11 Mar 2016, 05:26

Well if you were new and gave good advice I would have nothing to say, but you aren't giving good advice. In 12 months you'll come back and read some of the stuff you're posting now and just facepalm.
Ninrai 2015- briang is usually an aggressive d****e
briang
Spammer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: YouLikeThat

Postby TheCanadianJedi » 11 Mar 2016, 05:29

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll be sure to see if you guys are online next time I'm playing.
TheCanadianJedi
Crusader

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: TheCanadianJedi

Postby nine2 » 11 Mar 2016, 19:32

Umm what, for once briang isn't being overly aggressive and he still gets in trouble
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby codepants » 23 Mar 2016, 18:59

Hope you got a trainer and are all squared away, but in case not --

There are a few things that I think transition people from being "okay" to being "good" and then "great." This is just my opinion, other people may feel differently, and many will, of course be situation-dependent. Also, I'm only a lowly 1400, so take this all with a grain of salt.

Most have to deal with the idea of exponential growth. You have to understand that your economy grows exponentially. Thus, getting 1 or two mexes up on your opponent early game can have a multiplicative effect late game, and denying him/her 1 or two for a few minutes the same. To this effect:
- Don't over- or under-build power. Until you get your first t2 pgen there's never any reason to have a full bar. Overbuilding 200 power = 10 pgens = 750 mass = 15 tanks you do not have that your opponent does.
- On large multiplayer maps, start your first t2 mex early. Many people start as soon as they finish their hydro.
- Very early aggression pays off more often than not (first LAB, first tank, first bomber, etc). The longer you wait, the less effective it will be (3 engies then lab = lab will probably die).
- If you don't use units (like if you have t1 tanks leftover when t2 phase is well along), ctrl+k and reclaim them.

Lastly, a few random things that I've found useful:
- Most players under 1200 will react poorly to gunships or bombers -- building too much AA, sacrificing air control to kill them, or not building any AA or inties at all. Raiding with t2 gunships is, IMO, often underutilized and underestimated.
- In a multiplayer game, you can (and often should) build your own air. Your getting mercy sniped is always your fault. An air player that is everywhere at once is a bonus, not a standard.
- If you start upgrading your ACU, assist with an engie, then pause your ACU, the upgrade will continue with the build power of the engie. This a great way to get early upgrades without having to build much power.
- If you don't scout, you can't react. If you can't react, you will lose.
- Leaving things on repeat can be costly. Ex: mid- to late game people often leave scouts on repeat. A scout is 40 mass and builds from a t1 air fac in 6 seconds. Over 10 minutes you have spent 4000 mass - enough for more than 3 Percivals or 2 t2 mexes or most of a t3 mex. From a t3 air fac, quadruple that.

Good luck!
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby briang » 23 Mar 2016, 19:50

Well said.
Ninrai 2015- briang is usually an aggressive d****e
briang
Spammer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: YouLikeThat

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 23 Mar 2016, 23:59

Good advice indeed, codepants.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Re: Trying to at least be decent, help?  Topic is solved

Postby biass » 24 Mar 2016, 07:45

Here is some good advice for 1v1: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=10081#p101490
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Previous

Return to Tactics/strategy help