How do I Seraphim?

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: How do I Seraphim?

Postby Morax » 29 Jan 2016, 17:36

Kalavinka wrote:Thanks, y'all. I only knew about Gyle and thought he was the main/pretty much only decent caster.

Time to bury myself in vidya!

Subscribe to all of these and someone with power in FAF media/news make these a sticky/constant source so that people can get some up-to-date casts. I agree with the theeggroll about Gyle... speed2 is probably going to make an entire video documentation of how the game works in no time the way he is going. His "reclaim" tutorial is hall-of-fame material for FAF and any game I've ever played.

Top casters/tutorials/etc:

speed2
Zock
LuXun
TA4Life
PetricPwns (currently "TouchFluffyTails")
ZLO
Cerberus
ColonelSheppard
BrinkOfInsanity
Aulex

Some of those are dated so you should start out by watching speed2's "School of FaF," Zock "Lessons" so you become familiar with the jargon/nomenclature before you watch replays. Ultimately replays will be your best tool in learning from mistakes and discovering new tricks/strategies.

Good luck and if you need any help feel free to contact me or anyone here. We're always looking to help.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Morax » 29 Jan 2016, 17:38

Also, in my signature is an "infinite tournament" that has a U1100 bracket for newer players looking to test the grounds of competition. Players like JaggedAppliance started out there and look where they ended up!

It's currently run by Kalvirox but myself and TA4Life had a lot of involvement in the past and are passionate about it. Well, at least I am as I can't speak for TA. It seems more likely than not that he enjoys it, though.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Kalavinka » 30 Jan 2016, 04:28

Morax wrote:Also, in my signature is an "infinite tournament" that has a U1100 bracket for newer players looking to test the grounds of competition. Players like JaggedAppliance started out there and look where they ended up!

It's currently run by Kalvirox but myself and TA4Life had a lot of involvement in the past and are passionate about it. Well, at least I am as I can't speak for TA. It seems more likely than not that he enjoys it, though.

I'm interested in this, thank you! I'll look into that tournament, it could be right up my alley. I want to take my game further than going up against Sorian AI.
Kalavinka
Crusader

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Kalavinka

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 02 Feb 2016, 05:03

Kalavinka wrote:Howdy there, new player looking to take up Seraphim because I love my underappreciated space-Cthulhu robutts.

The issue is that I have no clue what I'm doing.

Okay, that isn't fair to say. I've been studying this past day and I've written down a lot of faction counter-strategies to employ as Seraphim, and I've also learned to use their T2 assault bots a hell of a lot and to not rely on Othuums. Basically? I know the standard rules of thumb: T1-T2 Seraphim good, T3 bad, T4 gooooood.

But I still don't quite know how to incorporate these into strategies. I'd like to hear what better Seraphim players do for their battle plan, receive some tips and tricks and maybe even some links to any rare and elusive Seraphim guides that might actually exist somewhere out there.

In specific: What should I focus on doing with my Land, Air and Naval in T1, T2 and T3?

My first experience for Seraphim was 3 years ago against an AI. Then I built Yolona Oss and beat the crap out of the easy AI. Then I fought a single 1v1 ladder battle as Seraphim and completely f**ked up the game because the opposing aeon did T2 obsidian spam and my T1 turrets did little to protect my main base, so...
I don't see any bad in Othuums because they have lots of health and are supposed to be good. Put them under shields maybe? Seraphim have T3 shields I think.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby Kalavinka » 02 Feb 2016, 18:34

Yeah, Othuums are honestly really good, just not as overpowered for their tier as Ilshavoh.
and also a terrible idea to put anywhere near sloped terrain
Kalavinka
Crusader

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Kalavinka

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 27 Mar 2016, 19:07

I'll make a little personal reflection here.
Ever since I joined FAF till a very recent time (2 months ago), I lost most of my ladder games and many of my team games, unless it was a stack (balance in favor of one team). I didn't watch any casts. Then I came across a few interesting replays, several of my acquaintances gave me advises and the whole concept of 1v1 just... came along and I understood how to play them and win. Same went for team games - now I don't need to balance the game to be a stack in my favor, we win even against stronger players who were thinking "Eh, this will be easy" and let down their guard.
When the right time will come, this concept will come to you, Kalavinka, and the faction you play won't matter as much. I don't know about seraphim speed, will have to check that out, because I play Aeon or UEF. More often Aeon because of the cheap double gun that I rush and can beat even T2 & some T3 units (with overcharge, of course).

The main thing is to not give up.

If you don't know all the FAF slang yet, here's a wiki page to help:
http://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?title=Glossary

Hope this is of any use.
Last edited by Lieutenant Lich on 16 Apr 2016, 16:50, edited 2 times in total.

My mod:
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Postby biass » 28 Mar 2016, 02:21

There is plenty of learning material on the wiki, a quick google search for 'faf wiki' will land you straight there, perhaps best to understand basic game theory before choosing to specialize in a faction that might not be best for your playstyle.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 28 Mar 2016, 05:15

This replay may help. Red seraphim outspams blue UEF and ends the game with Yenzynes. That tactic I learned from a friend, who always plays Seraphim. Yenzynes are cheaper than Aeon Obsidians or Cybran Rhinos and they outrun UEF Pillars.

What biass said may be a very good idea.
Attachments
4590660-LichKing2033.fafreplay
Yenzyne spam has it all
(52.18 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

My mod:
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Postby theeggroll » 15 Apr 2016, 20:13

Sort of reviving old thread whoops for that

Common misconception: othuums are bad. Sera has become my new main and their t3 land is my favorite out of all factions, othuums being my favorite unit out of serphim. They are so strong. And since everyone thinks they are crazy weak they will be surprised when you whoop ass with them
GMT - 6 http://spooky.github.io/unitdb/#/
When in doubt, Blame Gorton
theeggroll
Priest

Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 98 times
FAF User Name: theeggroll

Postby TheKoopa » 15 Apr 2016, 20:34

^this

Quite surprised I was the only one that wants sera late game rather than aeon or uef.
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

PreviousNext

Return to Tactics/strategy help