Other minor changes balanceteam only

Other minor changes balanceteam only

Postby Zock » 03 Nov 2013, 22:07

This thread is to discuss everything regarding all other changes. Only balanceteam members can post here, use the other thread for guest contributions.

In specific, but not exclusive:

Sera destroyer/t3 sub
static flak
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Re: Other minor changes balanceteam only

Postby Zock » 04 Nov 2013, 20:15

Thought to the subhunter:

It is too strong. The only faction that can compete is UEF in ultra-late. In 1v1 pretty much impossible to reach, in teamgames still hard.

I think we all agree to some kind of nerf. Need to be carefull to not nerf it too hard, as sera has not much else though.

I'd say statwise is the sub ok, the issue is that it is really easy to kite without own losses, and that the sub got on top a really good AA. So i see three ways to nerf it:

Speed/Range, to make it more difficult to kite without losses, and easier to catch it for enemies
AA, to force sera to use cruisers with the subs to counter air
pip suggested a HP nerf to 4000, so t3 aeon torpbomber can onehit them, but i don't like that one. It won't help uef/cyb and would make sera vs aeon quite weak.

i'd suggest a mix of nerfs, if its not enough, a slight speed nerf can be added on top
range from 70 to 65
AA dps from 240 to 180 (quite big nerf, but 180 is still much for a sea-dominating submarine)

For the destroyer:

Without micro, = in lower skill levels, the destroyer is quite well balanced. It only gets really problematic with really good micro, where it can solo 2 enemy destroyers i.e. That shouldn't be possible. My idea to fix it is change the fireangle and turrent turn rate, so you can still dodge enemy fire, bu won't deal as much dps as before if you micro constantly, because only 1 of 2 turrents will shoot, and the turrents will need a bit longer to get into the right position.

I drew a photorealistic picture for clarification (left is old, right new balance):

Spoiler: show

I would consider it still beeing a really good unit with micro, but not as much as before. However when the beam fixes come in, additional nerfs to all beam units will be needed on top, but it is a different issue then its strenghts with micro.

About the static flak there are two ways we can do:

a) simple buff

b) different changes/buffs for each faction, to create more faction deversity. I'd like that one :D Just need to find cool things for every faction. It is not necessary though, if you or a majority of people won't like it, a simple buff will do.
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby pip » 10 Jan 2014, 10:26

Some explanations about the latest Seraphim ACU Restoration field changes, because it was courteously requested by Lame.

New changes :
Restoration Field Level 1 :
- Now adds 1000 HP to ACU health
- Improved regen rate, but lower ceiling : 2% hp regen (from 0.5), but capped at 20 (from 75) ;

Restoration field level 2 :
- Now adds 1500 HP to ACU health
- Now affects structures and not only units
- Slightly cheaper cost : mass cost = 1200 (from 1500), energy cost = 42000 (from 31250), buildtime = 1400 (from 1750)
- Improved regen rate, but lower ceiling 4% HP regen (from 1%), but capped at 40 (from 200).

These upgrades will be much better for lower hp units, and worse for higher hp units, thus filling its role of t1 and t2 support ability better, while still remaining useful at t3.

Pragmatic results :
Restoration field level1: t1 units like tanks will get 5 hp regen per sec near ACU (instead of the measly 1.5)
Frigates, t2 units like Ilshavoh, yenzine, will get 20 HP regen per sec near ACU (from a various value between 5 and 13)
Destroyers and T3 units like Othuum will get 20 HP regen per sec near ACU (from around 38)
Restoration Field level 2 will provide 40 HP regen to most units and also structures, except that t1 land units like tanks will get around 11 HP regen (instead of the measly 3 hp). Before values would greatly differ, t1 would get only 3 hp per sec, and higher tier units would get values between 30 and 200 HP per sec.

Overall, the changes make the ability better for lower tiers and less strong for higher tiers units. Level 2 becomes more versatile: it also repairs structures (used to affect units only), so it can also be used for defense.
It's also easier to know how much you get : level 1 provides 20 HP regen for most units, and level 2 40 HP regen. If you compare with regen with veterancy, it's significantly higher. Only exception is for t1 land units : level 1 = 5 hp / sec, level 2 = 11 hp / sec.

Please test it and see if it is now an interesting alternative to gun upgrade on non naval maps.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby pip » 11 Jan 2014, 11:50

Due to Lame critics, I reverted the Restoration field level 2 to what it used to be (= powerful support upgrade for higher tier units), but kept the level 1 orientated towards better support capability for t1 and t2 land units at the price of lower efficiency for t3 and naval units (it's not possible to have it good for low tier and high tier units at the same time). See changelog for details.

I readded the 10% HP buff to nearby units that the level 2 used to give because it's actually not buggy, I don't understand why it was removed. The only "bug" is that once influenced by the aura, the unit will keep displaying the buffed HP after leaving it, but the true hp will revert to normal as soon as a single damage is done to it. So it' doesn't affect balance, it's a very small cosmetic annoyance. Returning this feature allows to keep the ability to what the initial balance was.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Return to Patch 3629