Strategic Icons

Moderator: pip

Re: Strategic Icons

Postby errorblankfield » 25 Jul 2013, 01:39

Mycen wrote:I'm with Voice of Reason here. The icons get so crowded together when you're zoomed out that even the new icons don't make much of a difference. But if you zoom in, then, as well as making "a white blip" clear, you can just see what the units are...

If you want to add slightly different interior markings for snipers vs. assault bots, etc., then whatever. No one used snipers before anyway, so you could probably get away with saying that's what their icons always were! :D But please don't get carried away with changing the icons too much. I looked at this mod and that mod, and was not impressed. They are nice for the truly dedicated player, but they're too busy to be integrated seamlessly. Players are used to what the icons are now and have always been, and if they really want "better" icons they can get one of these UI mods for themselves. No need to force UI changes on everyone.

As the maker of 'that' mod, what's exactly your problem with them? The purpose of icons is to be able to tell what unit it what without having to actually look directly at said unit. There are a lot of units in the game... so naturally fulfilling that goal requires a wide berth of icons.

Sorry, maybe I'm being petty, but I don't like this critic of being 'too busy' considering the only offense is 'they aren't stock'. Really tried to make the shapes/icon 'fit' the game and feel like a natural extension rather than an overhaul.

Bah, I'm a dedicated player I guess. Cause default icons are terrible and think every type of unit should be easily recognized by their respective icons.
errorblankfield
Priest

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: errorblankfield

Postby noms » 25 Jul 2013, 01:42

New icons are perfect :D
noms

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: noms

Postby Hawkei » 25 Jul 2013, 05:13

While we are on the topic of icons.

Is it worth differentiating the grey unidentified naval contacts? As it currently stands. Submarine contacts are designated with a "U" shaped icon, and Surface contacts are designated with an "inverted U" icon... But when the icons appear as unidentified radar, or sonar contacts, they both have the same "inverted U" shaped grey icon...

Yet, in theory, the player should be able to know which are surface and which are submarines. At present this can only be confirmed by selecting a surface attack unit and seeing which sonar contacts are targetable. Or alternatively, if there is radar coverage, by turning the sonar off and on again. The information is already avaliable to the player. But, it would be nice to have the grey contacts appear with the relevant "U" and "inverted U" shaped icons. So that we know which are radar and which are sonar contacts.

I fully appreciate if this is outside the scope of the patch. Just a thought.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Mycen » 25 Jul 2013, 16:41

errorblankfield wrote:As the maker of 'that' mod, what's exactly your problem with them? The purpose of icons is to be able to tell what unit it what without having to actually look directly at said unit. There are a lot of units in the game... so naturally fulfilling that goal requires a wide berth of icons.

Sorry, maybe I'm being petty, but I don't like this critic of being 'too busy' considering the only offense is 'they aren't stock'. Really tried to make the shapes/icon 'fit' the game and feel like a natural extension rather than an overhaul.

Bah, I'm a dedicated player I guess. Cause default icons are terrible and think every type of unit should be easily recognized by their respective icons.

Ooh, so testy! :D No, your icons are fine, relax. I haven't used it in a game, obviously, but from looking at the picture you included, you seem to have achieved your goals for modified icons rather well.

A few specific things I could point out that I don't like (keeping in mind I haven't used it): I like how currently all buildings are squares - I like that units of the same class all have the same shape, quick and easy. (except those damn gunships and transports, obviously.) I also don't like how you added the colored markings to certain units. Right now if a player chooses a dark color their units will be harder to differentiate, but otherwise it's all the same. But how will these colored markings work with a red or yellow player? I'm not really clear on why you blended the air support and anti-air symbols, either.

On the whole though, my "problem" with them, if you could call it that, is that I just haven't found myself having trouble differentiating units by their strategic icons in the way that you describe. I find that when I'm zoomed out past a certain point, the icons all blend together, and I don't really see how that would be different with your icon mod. When I zoom in enough for some space to appear between the icons, it becomes fairly clear to me what the units are. For example, even if I can't see the units directly (which I usually can), the extra white box differentiates battleships from destroyers, nukes from tac missiles, etc.

Basically, I think VoiceofReason pretty succinctly described it with this comment:
VoiceofReason wrote:
errorblankfield wrote:Worst still, every building is a square.

Yes, these are the major balance issues of the game that we need to change; I definitely see now where you all are coming from.

Errorblankfield, I think you did a great job with your mod, I just don't think that most people have enough of a problem telling the units apart that we need to push ahead with any major changes. Slightly changing the symbols for two or three units is okay (although I find the sniperbot symbol quite ugly, and would prefer the crosshair-looking one that has been discussed) but like VoiceofReason said, we shouldn't go any further with this for now.

If people think their micro can be improved by getting new icons, then let them. But until then, we should hold off on any more major changes, because while some players might find them nice, they are not necessary.

ShadowKnight wrote:The changes are good. Do you have any real, LOGICAL objection other than the standard and stupid fear of change?

Fear of change (although "fear" is a strong word here) is not "stupid". When only a small group of people are effecting changes, it is important to consider each change critically, because once it's changed, it's a lot harder to change it back. Try to respect that some people actually like things the way they are, they're not just afraid that things might be different. Thinking that the current icons work well enough is hardly an illogical objection.
Mycen
Evaluator

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Mycen

Previous

Return to Patch 3626 beta