SCU rebuilder

Moderator: pip

SCU rebuilder

Postby pip » 24 Jun 2013, 23:08

Crotalus told me there is a problem with this ability the SCU has. The ability is this: when something is destroyed in your base and leaves wrecks, a patrolling SCU will rebuild it (it's automatic, so it's not always a good thing).

However, it makes SCU bad at assisting and building, they don't use their range, they wait to assist that the builder has already started to work, and ground assist doesn't work. Removing Rebuilder ability makes SCU better engineer. But it removes this feature. So should it be removed because it's better to have good SCU engineer than rebuilder? OR is this ability very useful for certain players?
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Re: SCU rebuilder

Postby IceDreamer » 24 Jun 2013, 23:29

I've never seen it used, and have never managed to even get it to work myself. I was of the impression the ntire feature is broken, and has been since Vanilla Retailed all those years ago.

Making it work as intended is obviously preferable, but personally I would not lament the loss of it if compensation was given in other areas, and I don't think many others would either.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 24 Jun 2013, 23:44

I long time dont know about this ability, imho this rebuild ability is awsome and would be on engineer too. Adding button dont fix it? Button for engineer SACu and Button for re-builder (for engineer pls tooooooooooo Heart smile )
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby Hawkei » 25 Jun 2013, 04:00

No. I would like to keep the re-building feature and have it work correctly if possible. Because it is the only unit to have this feature. The SCU isn't the most cost effective engineer, and the re-build functionality is more important. I vote to keep as is, and have the mechanic work better if possible.

The re-builder functionality is useful in late games with many bases and artillery T3 Artillery warfare. Because the SCU can be told to assist/re-build critical structures, like shields, omni-sensors and SMD in your base. It takes your mind off the base micro-management. Because you know the SCU will automatically rebuild anything that is destroyed.

Another method of implementing this feature, apart from the patrol order, is to que assist multiple buildings or factories. An SCU which is given two factories as assist targets will cycle between them as the units roll off the pad. Which gives them a high productivity. The most effective way of building T3 navy is to have SCU's assisting 2 T3 naval factories. It means your build power is always utilised - Not only that, but it will re-build the factory if it is sniped. Brilliant!

No. I want to keep this feature. :)
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Mycen » 25 Jun 2013, 16:28

^^ This.

I think a lot of people don't use it because, one, a lot of people don't know about that ability, and two, it can be a pain in the ass to use, because you have to tell it to assist each building individually. (I never tried having them rebuild using patrol.) But overall it's quite nice.

pip wrote:So should it be removed because it's better to have good SCU engineer than rebuilder? OR is this ability very useful for certain players?

Removing abilities from units that they no only have always had, but that are supposed to define said unit, simply to make it better at something else, is a terrible idea.

Rather than eliminate the ability, if it's possible, I think what has been said about preventing the SCU from auto-rebuilding when set to patrol or setting a toggle button would be preferable alternatives.
Mycen
Evaluator

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Mycen

Postby Bibblson » 25 Jun 2013, 16:44

I often have the issue with SACUs, that when i want to start a building with several ones of them, they just dont start, or they start it and 1s later that stop it and the building prototype dissapears...

When this is linked to that wierd feature no one has ever used, i think we could give it a test.
Bibblson
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Bibblson

Postby Anaryl » 25 Jun 2013, 18:06

If they are assisting the factory when it is destroyed they will rebuild it. They work correctly this way, as was intended. I thought everybody knew about this.

EDIT: Took a bit of playing with because cheat menu wasnt working and instabuild borks assisting.
Attachments
1045105-Anaryl.fafreplay
(4.89 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Anaryl
Banned

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Anaryl

Postby Hawkei » 27 Jun 2013, 03:57

Anaryl wrote:If they are assisting the factory when it is destroyed they will rebuild it. They work correctly this way, as was intended. I thought everybody knew about this.

EDIT: Took a bit of playing with because cheat menu wasnt working and instabuild borks assisting.

No, they are used so rarely, and no-one actually reads the game manual. Yes I knew about this feature back in 2007. I have only once used an SCU in a ranked game, and I most certainly did not use it for rebuilding :P

Also, I find the 1s build issue irritating. I think sometimes this happens because of the black ops mode. But it will not happen if only 1 SCU does the job. So issue the build order to 1 SCU only and have the others assist it.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy

Postby errorblankfield » 01 Jul 2013, 19:31

While we are on the topic, aren't cybran hives (engineer structure) also suppose to do this as well?

I know I read that somewhere but I've never seen them do it -which is annoying.

Additionally, they never seem to reclaim when I want them to either.
errorblankfield
Priest

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: errorblankfield

Postby Hawkei » 02 Jul 2013, 05:53

errorblankfield wrote:While we are on the topic, aren't cybran hives (engineer structure) also suppose to do this as well?

I know I read that somewhere but I've never seen them do it -which is annoying.

Additionally, they never seem to reclaim when I want them to either.

Hives behave as though they were on a perpetual ground assist order. They build power, but they have no build templates. So they could never initiate contruction, and have no re-builder capability... Also, to reclaim with them, you need to manually select the wrecks. Which must be within range.

Re-builder functionality is when a structure is compeltely destroyed, and an idential structure is automatically contructed in its place. Only the SCU can do this, and only for buildings it is told to assist.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Return to Patch 3626 beta