Can we please pump the brakes a little bit?

Moderator: pip

Can we please pump the brakes a little bit?

Postby jkleli » 10 Jun 2013, 05:35

I haven't been playing FAF for a long time, and I am not a pro, or even a big part of the community. I know we had a vote on the subject and the community decided as a whole, that EngyMod SHOULD be implemented into FAF. It should also be noted that I have only played one or two balance testing games recently, so my opinion is somewhat ignorant, but I just wanted to voice my concern:

I am worried that this drastic change to the game will throw too many other units off balance. It is changing the roles of almost every unit in the game in the t2 AND t3 stage. Even experimentals, which used to be the strongest units in the game, are starting to be a less attractive option, especially against the dreaded Percival spam.
I am not saying I don't like EngyMod. I think its awesome! It is a lot of fun and definitely changes the game a lot. But I don't think FAF needs to change a lot. We are getting further and further from the Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance that we all know and love.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and the FAF community is (hopefully) a democracy.
So what do you guys think? Should we change the game this drastically? Or keep EngyMod just that- a Mod?
jkleli
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: jkleli

Re: Can we please pump the brakes a little bit?

Postby Golol » 10 Jun 2013, 06:43

it doesnt change it drastically. i have never seen any difference in engymod and normal games.
if you have 30-40 engis around a t3 factory i think paying 3000 for another factory or 800( dont know t3 nornal fac mass cost) isnt much of a difference.
same for t2.
the only change it does is that you can get tech far from your base easier but that doesnt happen often.
by just keeping to play the game like always youre no at a disadvantage
Golol
Contributor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Golol

Postby Ze_PilOt » 10 Jun 2013, 07:52

Also experimentals were never better than T3 bots. It's a common misconception due to the fact that T3 bots are/were hard to make.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Ze_PilOt » 10 Jun 2013, 07:52

jkleli wrote:Of course, this is just my opinion, and the FAF community is (hopefully) a democracy.
So what do you guys think? Should we change the game this drastically? Or keep EngyMod just that- a Mod?

That vote was already made 3 months ago, that's why it's in now.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby pip » 10 Jun 2013, 08:02

You have three month to get used to it in balance testing mod, not to mention the fact that it was a featured mod already triable since februrary. I really don't think 6 month preparation (call it beta if you want) is too fast.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Kamicase » 10 Jun 2013, 09:04

I don't see why you are so concerned about T3 bot spam, the idea of Engy mod is just that you take what previously has been just a single factory with a crapload of buildpower around it and turn it into multiple factories with little to no engineers around. As far as I know T3 bots are neither cheaper nor easier to build, you just don't have to clutter your base with Engys now.
Kamicase
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Kamicase

Postby Nombringer » 10 Jun 2013, 09:14

People figured out how good T3 spam was.

Engiemod came out.

Correlation does not equal causation
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby BRNKoINSANITY » 10 Jun 2013, 18:54

^^^ This. I remember sandboxing about a year ago to show that mass for mass t3 beats t4. It was just a pointless exercise because there was no good way to mass produce t3 because of pathfinding. The only way to pull it off was a crapload of drones or hives and 2 t3 factories, and the roll off time was still a bugger.
BRNKoINSANITY
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 207 times
FAF User Name: BRNKoINSANITY

Postby jkleli » 10 Jun 2013, 20:42

Hmm ok, i will play balance testing more and try to get used to it. You guys are doing a good job developing it by the way, so keep up the good work.

I posted before reading the rules too, so sorry about that. The thread that inspired me to post this was about sniperbots. It seemed that the role of the unit was being changed, along with a myriad of other units, which worries me. I like the game too much to see it be turned on its head.
jkleli
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: jkleli

Postby dstojkov » 10 Jun 2013, 21:06

Yeah all this remebered me a great part of the history that hitted all of us ..... It begins in France some time ago ... groups of peoples decided to abolish the the kingship not for the good of the people but for their own... but because they could not do this alone enrole the people and make them believe that when the king will be gone all will be better which of this never happens .... Till nowaday this "group of person" are in charge and they rapped us and still rapping us even worst that the king himself will have done or what 1000000 of them will have not be able to achive ...

Just learn to not be a fucking sheep that follow the other with the believe "If they all follow they should be right" ....
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Next

Return to Patch 3626 beta