Can we please pump the brakes a little bit?

Moderator: pip

Re: Can we please pump the brakes a little bit?

Postby Ze_PilOt » 10 Jun 2013, 21:10

jkleli wrote: It seemed that the role of the unit was being changed, along with a myriad of other units,

Only units that are not made are changed so they can be into the game. Think of what you've used a year ago, and what you use now..
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Mycen » 10 Jun 2013, 21:41

Ze_PilOt wrote:Only units that are not made are changed so they can be into the game. Think of what you've used a year ago, and what you use now..

Actually, what I think of is the people pushing to have the Percival's range dramatically decreased. A perfect example of what he's afraid of. As far as snipers specifically, I would think what disturbed him was the often-repeated idea that sniperbots' rework should focus on making them a good counter to Percivals/Bricks rather than making them good, well... snipers.

When people start balancing things it is far too easy to fall into the "this is the counter to that" design philosophy trap. All the more so when only a handful of players are involved in the decision making and get caught up in the numbers.

I think cooler heads have prevailed each time in regards to not fixing what isn't broken though, right? And it's not like the changes are set it stone anyway...
Mycen
Evaluator

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Mycen

Postby jkleli » 10 Jun 2013, 21:42

Ok we are going to have to agree to disagree. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to FAF, because of a lack of time in the community and a unfortunately low # games played. BUT with all due respect;

I think the game was fine before. Mass-for-mass t3 bots have always been better than exp's sure. But the limiting factor was the production. You would not be able to spam t3 bots without an enormous investment in factories and drones. Now you don't have to invest in factories and drones, so t3 spam is easier, and therefore more powerful. It isn't all about mass-for-mass.

Why in the hell would anybody even build a spiderbot anymore? Now that mass producing t3 is so viable, you can just run it over with t3 bots.
This "land unit spam" play is a lot of fun, but that is what the T1 stage is all about! I think the way the game changes in the t2 and t3 stage is awesome!(less units, unit placement is more important)

My thoughts on the subject are pretty disorganized, but I can't help but feel like I have a point..
Do what you will though, because we voted on it and if everybody else likes it then I am wasting my time fighting it.

Edit: I agree with Mycen^^^
jkleli
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: jkleli

Postby Astrofoo » 10 Jun 2013, 22:55

You're getting ahead of yourself. I personally think what might end up happening is Experimentals will be buffed so they still perform the same role. I really enjoy engymod because when I first started playing this game I thought you could spam t2 like t1 and t3 like t1. I was dissapointed when I found out this wasn't true. Who doesn't want giant t2 wars? Or t3 wars?

My point is this: The changes to the game are way more positive than negative. And I can assure you, any serious issues will be addressed.
"So now everything without a shield is gonna die, and everything with a shield is gonna die a little later." -TA4Life on the Mavor
Astrofoo
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Astrofoo911

Postby Hawkei » 11 Jun 2013, 08:38

Golol wrote:it doesnt change it drastically. i have never seen any difference in engymod and normal games.
if you have 30-40 engis around a t3 factory i think paying 3000 for another factory or 800( dont know t3 nornal fac mass cost) isnt much of a difference.
same for t2.
the only change it does is that you can get tech far from your base easier but that doesnt happen often.
by just keeping to play the game like always youre no at a disadvantage

Actually, that was the first thing I thought of. It makes it easy to upgrade a hidden fac, behind enemy lines, for TML snipe or SAB construction.

The one thing I don't like about engy-mod is the HQ dynamic. I think it introduces another level of strategic complexity, and an opportunity for noob bashing. With HQ snipes. Now with the sniping of a single building, a players entire industrial machine can be rendered ineffective.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Golol » 11 Jun 2013, 09:11

id rather snnipe mexes than a hq
Golol
Contributor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Golol

Postby VoiceofReason » 11 Jun 2013, 09:33

jkleli wrote:...Mass-for-mass t3 bots have always been better than exp's sure. But the limiting factor was the production. You would not be able to spam t3 bots without an enormous investment in factories and drones. Now you don't have to invest in factories and drones, so t3 spam is easier, and therefore more powerful. It isn't all about mass-for-mass.

Why in the hell would anybody even build a spiderbot anymore? Now that mass producing t3 is so viable, you can just run it over with t3 bots.
This "land unit spam" play is a lot of fun, but that is what the T1 stage is all about! I think the way the game changes in the t2 and t3 stage is awesome!(less units, unit placement is more important)

I agree with this guy 100%
VoiceofReason
Priest

Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 53 times
FAF User Name: VoRCom

Postby Zock » 11 Jun 2013, 14:16

Why in the hell would anybody even build a spiderbot anymore?

Why in the hell would anybody built a sniperbot before?

This has nothing to do with engymod, this unit was just not worth it.
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby RoLa » 11 Jun 2013, 15:48

VoiceofReason wrote:
jkleli wrote:...Mass-for-mass t3 bots have always been better than exp's sure. But the limiting factor was the production. You would not be able to spam t3 bots without an enormous investment in factories and drones. Now you don't have to invest in factories and drones, so t3 spam is easier, and therefore more powerful. It isn't all about mass-for-mass.

I agree with this guy 100%

spiderbot != sniperbot

sniperbot have a higher range, so in low numbers and enough space you can kite. Or you can use them as defensive units in conjunction with (base) shields.
spiderbot can counter a combined army (t1/t2 /t3) attack, it can vet faster than it will die
RoLa
Contributor

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: RoLa

Previous

Return to Patch 3626 beta