Replays

Moderator: pip

Replays

Postby Nombringer » 07 Jun 2013, 08:55

OKay, a lot of discussion has being going here, but there have actually been very few replays, which are actually the best tools of anaylisis.

What I propose is we use this thread to post replays pertaining to a specific change, the we can then reference in other thread across this forum.
A general format could be:

What changes that were made in the patch have been tested in the replay. (eg "rhino change:, x player build a bunch")

Timestamp, where we can see the changes in action. (eg "It's a tech two rush on a small map, so rhino's are used through the whole game") Or ( "Sniper bots are used to kill x bricks at 23:35")

Overall feedback on the game, and how you think the changes influenced it.

Ill post a couple to get the thread started, but I would like as many people to post here as possible, because a lot of the stuff that has been posted in thread is pure theorycrafting or has only been tested in practice.
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Re: Replays

Postby Nombringer » 07 Jun 2013, 09:17

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyppwk6xlud7v ... .fafreplay

I made this game to specificly test the rhino change. As such I rushed tech t2 vs UEF.

You can see them pretty much from the start as its a tech two rush on desert arena.

From this game I think we can say a number of things. First off, although it shows the rhino owning, its a VERY one sided battle, if you watch the recliam numbers, there is a massive difference, so I would have won no matter what unit I spammed.

Another thing its shows is that the new rhino can REALLY dominate tech one, much more than the old one. Because it has higher hp and cost, it survives longer, and a lot of them are really living off their veterancy. However a lot of the tech one tanks WERE running in one at a time. Despite this, it might be a good idea to increase the veterancy thrshholds, and so compensate for the higher cost/hp, units with higher cost and more HP gain more of an advantage from veterancy due to the fact that they live longer, and as such, this could be a good change.

You can see the UEF player attempted to counter the spam with rangebots, however they were poorly micro'd and their number were far too small to make a difference.
(For reference, the mass ratio of mongoose to rhino's is 3/2.)

Discuss this replay in the same thread the rhino's are being discussed, and most more here, so we can actually see some of the changes in action.
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Postby pip » 07 Jun 2013, 09:50

There needs to be lots of 1v1 competitive replays in order to judge balance for the next patch. Most games played on the balance testing mod are team games, and often 4v4. They can barely be a base for judging balance, except in rare occasions.

If the top players (Lu_Xun, Zock, Crazed, Blackheart, eXivo/JoKer, Rock, Voodoo, and all the bunch above 2000 rating) played series of 1v1 games to test the new Aeon, the new Rhino, etc, it would be possible to get a feeling of the new balance.

If it doesn't happen now, they will do it in 1v1 ladder after the patch is released, and will complain all day long about the imba things for which they didn't play games / replays to back up their claim, and mini patches will be needed again to adjust aeon, rhino, etc, the same way it happened after the mantis buff, except that it will be for many more units.

I hope this week end, there will be some nice 1v1 games.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Nombringer » 07 Jun 2013, 10:10

pip wrote:I hope this week end, there will be some nice 1v1 games.

That will be posted here, so we can all see. That way we wont have to endlessly dig through their games, and only see the ones that are casted.

Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Postby Hascins » 07 Jun 2013, 10:27

I really do like this idea. Even though I can't be an asset to the discussion it gives the opportunity to follow the argumentation and decisions made.
Moreover it has the charm that nobody could say that something happend behind the curtains. More transparency leeds to better quality and better acceptance of all players.

Disadvantage...it could definetly slow down the decision/discussion process. There shouldn't be replays of every match made etc. maybe just a replay with a final result that already some player agreed upon. Otherwise it would be hard to keep track and would only confuse people.
Hascins
Contributor

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Hascins

Postby pip » 07 Jun 2013, 10:52

Hascins wrote:I really do like this idea. Even though I can't be an asset to the discussion it gives the opportunity to follow the argumentation and decisions made.
Moreover it has the charm that nobody could say that something happend behind the curtains. More transparency leeds to better quality and better acceptance of all players.

Disadvantage...it could definetly slow down the decision/discussion process. There shouldn't be replays of every match made etc. maybe just a replay with a final result that already some player agreed upon. Otherwise it would be hard to keep track and would only confuse people.

A a good replay is worth a thousand words, and accelerate decision making much better than any discussion.
pip
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 07 Jun 2013, 10:53

lot of 1v1 are played in GW.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Nombringer » 07 Jun 2013, 11:01

Ze_PilOt wrote:lot of 1v1 are played in GW.

Yes, if pro players could post here have what they believe to be good replays that showcase the balance changes, it would be welcome.

Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Postby pip » 07 Jun 2013, 11:41

Unfortunately, most replays are uneven (games between players of similar ratings are rare) and with the new deployable in GW, most replays desynch and balance is not "normal". I'm sure a few replays can be used, but it's very hard to find them.

Besides, I have the impression GW doesn't use the latest balance testing version.
Last edited by pip on 07 Jun 2013, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
pip
Supreme Commander

Postby Nombringer » 07 Jun 2013, 11:42

pip wrote:

Unfortunately, most replays are uneven (games between players of similar ratings are rare) and with the new deployable in GW, most replays desynch and balance is not "normal". I'm sure a few replays can be used, but it's very hard to find them.

Yeah, the idea is we can get players to post them themselves, as opposed to searching.

Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Next

Return to Patch 3626 beta