LABs are demonstrably UP

Moderator: pip

Re: LABs are demonstrably UP

Postby RoLa » 06 Jun 2013, 15:48

RoundTabler wrote:Since no one seems to like the idea of changing the stats, what about changing the build time? I think that its odd that mech marines have similar build times to tanks, since they lose so badly. It would be extremely nice to see mech marines (and other labs) used as something other than minute 1 engy killers, especially since many times the other player has a tank, which nullifies the mech marine every time.

That could be nice. Lower the build time from 140 to 110 should be enough. Build time ratio would be 25% better aproximitly "labs : tank = 2,5 : 1"
RoLa
Contributor

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: RoLa

Postby Swkoll » 06 Jun 2013, 16:26

ShadowKnight wrote:Perhaps bump the speed up by 0.2 or 0.3, and more importantly increase the turnrates, acceleration etc so that they then respond VERY well to micro, change direction really quick etc.

If the labs need any buff, it should be this one that allows them to follow through with their role.
"Only the fear of the hypnotoad is preventing me from raging right now." - ColonelSheppard
"Swkoll is a genius, let's accept this and move on" - VoR_Gorton
Swkoll
Contributor

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 41 times
FAF User Name: Swkoll

Postby Nombringer » 06 Jun 2013, 16:40

Increase turn rate and turret turn rate.

All you need to do to buff when micro'd
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby dstojkov » 06 Jun 2013, 16:53

Hi,

I my mod I rework all land unit physics and the lab is no exceptions. Take a look. He is pretty strong so that with micro you can take down a tank or even more if your opponent let you the luxury to micro.

Often in early stage i build 3 of them plus a scout to snipe out the early eng + the tanks that were supposed to protect it :-)
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Nombringer » 06 Jun 2013, 17:23

dstojkov wrote:Hi,

I my mod I rework all land unit physics and the lab is no exceptions. Take a look. He is pretty strong so that with micro you can take down a tank or even more if your opponent let you the luxury to micro.

Often in early stage i build 3 of them plus a scout to snipe out the early eng + the tanks that were supposed to protect it :-)

Read. The rules. This isn't a place to advertise. Unless your suggesting we change land unit physics.
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby IceDreamer » 06 Jun 2013, 17:56

Nombringer wrote:Increase turn rate and turret turn rate.

All you need to do to buff when micro'd

TurnRadius would be good too, it allows them to turn in a tighter arc.

For the Mechmarine I quickly tried:

MaxSteerForce = 9 (From 7)
TurnRadius = 0.7 (From 1)
TurnRate = 63 (From 45)
FiringTolerance = 1 (From 2)
TurretYawSpeed = 270 (From 180)

Returned nice results IMO.

Setting StandUpright to false was bloody hilarious too :D
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Anaryl » 07 Jun 2013, 00:08

pip wrote:
Anaryl wrote:
What Anaryl suggested would make them replace tanks in early games and reduce auroras to a joke, and seraphim as well.

Please support/demonstrate your assertion.

Faster units and longer range with also good HP will turn labs into t1 hoplites, except that they will be much cheaper compared to tanks.

That's an opinion, not a very a good one. Nobody is suggesting putting rockets on LABs. That said, nobody is arguing at the moment that hoplites shouldn't be able to kite tanks, so in essence you're supporting my point. by supplying precedent.

RE: Increasing the mobility of the LAB - 4 is the fastest speed of any land unit iirc, going faster than this and we would begin to violate the consistency of FAs physics. Also increasing turn rate, what would that do? The LAB doesn't need to cost more micro (it's probably the most micro-intensive unit in the game, already)
Anaryl
Banned

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Anaryl

Postby IceDreamer » 07 Jun 2013, 00:54

Regarding that last sentence, it wouldn't demand more micro, it would simply mean that when you are going to micro anyway, the micro is more effective. Might mean an intensely microed LAB has a chance against a tank, which is the way the rest of the game is, so... Personally I don't care either way, but I see no way this kind of change will impact on the game as a whole, so why not?
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Anaryl » 07 Jun 2013, 03:24

ShadowKnight wrote:Regarding that last sentence, it wouldn't demand more micro, it would simply mean that when you are going to micro anyway, the micro is more effective. Might mean an intensely microed LAB has a chance against a tank, which is the way the rest of the game is, so... Personally I don't care either way, but I see no way this kind of change will impact on the game as a whole, so why not?

Why would turn rate make a difference, the LAB can already turn fast enough to dodge shots. I don't think we should propagate ineffective changes simply because "why not?" - we've had far too much of that.

The only thing that will give a LAB a chance versus any significant number of tanks is more HP and more range. As it stands tanks massacre LABs > I was testing this out and mucking around in game a week ago. Even in far superior numerical terms, LABs just fail versus both T1 AA and t1 tanks.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheVaultbook/files/ replays 958585 (The board's attachment quote has been reached, so I whipped this up)
Anaryl
Banned

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Anaryl

Postby Golol » 07 Jun 2013, 07:00

micro possibilities for labs shouldnt be too high
you cant clunter mirco. if an engi is protected by a tank the tank shouls always kill a lab.
the micro could make it survive a bjt longer but not long enough to kill a tank. that would be bad for gameplay imo
Golol
Contributor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Golol

PreviousNext

Return to Patch 3626 beta