Where is the patch?

Moderator: pip

Where is the patch?

Postby Ravior » 04 Jun 2013, 11:29

Hello,

I just found out about this Forged Alliance Forever thingy and am having quite a time with this. Its great to learn about this whole thing, but since I'm both new to this and somewhat experienced in watching how people experience new stuff, I have to give you this feedback:

The usability of the main page for this community project is not even above the minimum required to get people into this.
You have a Download page, but there is just a big link to the wiki and a smaller one to the actual client. What I miss there is some information about what the user of this client should know (like: Is the client patching the game for me? Do I need anything else?) And IF there even is news about a Patch on the main page and there is a link in this news to a forum but not a download to the actual patch, I cannot understand how this even came to existence.

Don't get me wrong, I really like all this - I'm even willing to create all this content im worried about here, because I'm really happy about the existence of this project. But first I would really like to know why this webpage is so much unaccessible as it is now.

So please tell me :)

Greetings,

Ravior
Ravior

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Where is the patch?

Postby Myxir » 04 Jun 2013, 11:36

check out the "balance testing" gamemod in the Find Games tab
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby ColonelSheppard » 04 Jun 2013, 12:03

well feel free to create a better one i guess
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Ze_PilOt » 04 Jun 2013, 12:16

Ravior wrote:Hello,
What I miss there is some information about what the user of this client should know (like: Is the client patching the game for me? Do I need anything else?) And IF there even is news about a Patch on the main page and there is a link in this news to a forum but not a download to the actual patch, I cannot understand how this even came to existence.

There is only two links, but you've still managed to skip one, as all that is explained in the wiki.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Ravior » 04 Jun 2013, 14:02

@ Ze_PilOt: What kind of way is it to refer someone to a lexika where its just about saying what is needed to get started with something? Do you want to study or read an entire book before you can play a game? Even your wiki is build up in this way: There is simply no page about how to get started with this. Just dozens of answers to random questions.

Thats just what I meant. No one should need to look up a wiki just for getting started with something like this. And this is what I think could be improved, if there would just be a page which tells you everything you need to know to set up the stuff and go play.

What this page here is right now is rather like saying "Here's a rubics cube, now go f**k y******f".

Why shouldnt this be improved instead of redirecting everyone to your wiki? The most important question here is: Do you want a big community wich will breathe new live into everything be sharing creations like maps and mods and enjoying them together in actual play? If thats the case it is a MUST to make it easy for people getting into this.

I AM supporting this. I want this to be that good. But its not at the current state. Its just frustrating for most people getting into this. And thats absolutely not what you want, is it?
Ravior

Postby ColonelSheppard » 04 Jun 2013, 14:07

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3058

I'm sorry but so many people already said they want to do better newcommer help or front page (TartarusMK ie), yet nobody did. (So forgive me if i dont expect you to do it.)

This is what is there, if you have the time to redo it, or making a grammer clean up, the wiki is editable for everyone and i'm pleased to edit my posts there if you send me corrections (but not single words, make it a way i can copy and paste the whole site.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Ravior » 04 Jun 2013, 14:10

Hm. Interesting. Well I'll see.

By the way I tried exactly what the Wiki says:

http://www.faforever.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Where_can_I_find_links_to_all_the_patches

"So :Try to join or host a game. The lobby will guide you. Read carefully the popup that may be displayed, they contains all the links you need if you need a extra patch"

It doesnt work. Ive never got patched nor did I receive any links.

Greetings,

Ravior
Ravior

Postby Gorton » 04 Jun 2013, 14:14

Ravior; are you having difficulty running this balance test mod, or any game?
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Ravior » 04 Jun 2013, 14:15

No, everything works fine when starting a balance test mod game. I could also join all the other games I tried.
Ravior

Postby Gorton » 04 Jun 2013, 14:16

From your last post you said nothing was working.....
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Next

Return to Patch 3626 beta