Experimentals

Moderator: pip

Experimentals

Postby Bibblson » 31 May 2013, 14:14

I think we have to discuss what we want the experimentals to be. Here some thoughts of mine:

In pre engymod era t3 spam was very limited. You had to build experimentals to get enough firepower out in lategame. But now we do have engymod and can spam t3 units quite easy, so this role experimentals dont have to fill in, and are not that good at it either.

Also we could adress the veterancy problem experimental unit-balancing has. They get 10%*maxhealth*vetlvl each time they vet up. In summary a vet5 GC has received +150k hp. In 3599 and later their biggest strengh was their veterancy but now they face t3 were they just cant vet up and die utterly.

Now my thoughts:
Increase buildtime of experimentals extremly (factor 2-10) but make them more mass efficent. Either lower their cost of just buff them with enough health to survive some percy shells.
And change veterancy, that units either dont get free hp, or give them always +10%maxhealth, not like now vet5 50%. (without free hp the regen could be buffed big times).

This would make Experimentals in a later stage of the game than they are now, but beeing masswise way better than now.
Bibblson
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Bibblson

Re: Experimentals

Postby IceDreamer » 31 May 2013, 14:46

Experimentals need to be carefully crafted into what the Developers wanted them to be, as evidenced in the original E3 trailer: Units which waltz into battle surrounded by dozens of smaller units, and provide both huge firepower, a meatshield, and most importantly looking freakin' AWESOME.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby NuclearStorm » 09 Jul 2013, 20:07

ShadowKnight wrote:Experimentals need to be carefully crafted into what the Developers wanted them to be, as evidenced in the original E3 trailer: Units which waltz into battle surrounded by dozens of smaller units, and provide both huge firepower, a meatshield, and most importantly looking freakin' AWESOME.

This sums up my thoughts :)
You just have to choose one illusion and pick it as the reality you’re willing to believe in. If you’re right, great. If you’re wrong, you’ll probably never even realize it, so as far as you’re concerned, you’re right.
NuclearStorm
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: NuclearStorm

Postby Golol » 11 Jul 2013, 18:21

this raises the question why actually gpg didnt do ANY support XPs.
I think for example some kind of fatboy that increases the damage by units surrounding it would kind of fit
Golol
Contributor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Golol

Postby Mycen » 11 Jul 2013, 21:36

Passive bonuses to nearby units? That's for Blizzard rts games, ewww...

The Fatboy does increase the damage of surrounding units. It prevents their DPS from being lowered by blasting the units that would kill them. :D
Mycen
Evaluator

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Mycen

Postby Astrofoo » 15 Jul 2013, 05:05

Mycen wrote:Passive bonuses to nearby units? That's for Blizzard rts games, ewww...

The Fatboy does increase the damage of surrounding units. It prevents their DPS from being lowered by blasting the units that would kill them. :D

Basically this. There is no mechanic in SupCom where units "buff" each other. That is some magic crap and here at SupCom we don't believe in magic! We believe in smashing our opponents to pulp through CONVENTIONAL means. Not some weird mystic inside a fatboy singing hymns to increase the damage of some bots near it.
"So now everything without a shield is gonna die, and everything with a shield is gonna die a little later." -TA4Life on the Mavor
Astrofoo
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Astrofoo911

Postby Ato0theJ » 15 Jul 2013, 07:23

"You acquired Parashield- Increases HP of nearby units by 3500 while active."
Ato0theJ
Contributor

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: AJ

Postby laPPen » 15 Jul 2013, 12:59

[quote] Basically this. There is no mechanic in SupCom where units "buff" each other. That is some magic crap and here at SupCom we don't believe in magic! We believe in smashing our opponents to pulp through CONVENTIONAL means. Not some weird mystic inside a fatboy singing hymns to increase the damage of some bots near it./quote]
Sera regen field ^^
I know no one ever builds it but it exists. I also think those passive bonuses dont fit into the supcom universe.

Btw the vetbuff to the ML has really helped i had few games recently where building a monkey in engmod was no horrible waste of mass. Good job here balance crew
laPPen

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: laPPen

Postby BLITZ_Molloy » 16 Jul 2013, 20:16

I'm all for mass t3 armies being the late game decider and not experimentals. Games should escalate to being about big armies clashing not micromanaging a couple of experimentals.

Don't know if that'd make games slow as f*** but I figure computers are only getting more powerful they should be able to handle it at this stage.

One other problem is that Aeon and Seraphim don't really have the t3 units to match the Percie. The Brick can only sort of manage it.
BLITZ_Molloy

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: BLITZ_Molloy

Postby VoiceofReason » 24 Jul 2013, 08:48

Once engimod becomes current patch, you should definitely remove, "BFU. Big F***** Units, also called Experimentals. Costly, dangerous and impressive ! They carry the strength of entire armies." from the mainpage. Its just flat out wrong with current balance direction; unfortunately....

The part where they carry strength of entire armies - couldn't laugh my ass off any harder. T4 is a just a bad joke for the player building it within the current FAf balance direction
VoiceofReason
Priest

Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 53 times
FAF User Name: VoRCom

Return to Patch 3626 beta