Lionhardt's WIP Mapping Thread

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: WIP thread

Postby IceDreamer » 07 Mar 2014, 21:37

You gonna put a small amount of reclaim in the very middle? Could be fun, but not too much! :)
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Lionhardt » 07 Mar 2014, 23:13

I will put quite a bit of reclaim inte middle actually. To balance out the incentive to stay and fight and the incentive to avoide each other and expand outwards.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby Lionhardt » 08 Mar 2014, 17:32

Here is an in-editor picture of the reclaim. All what you see is in the wreckage class, so ingame those will all be wrecks. But I post this in-editor picture so you can see what kind of wrecks I placed to gauge the total mass. Should be between 9000 and 10,000. The scene is an assault of UEF forces on a cybran settlement.

Edit: This is in the center of the map of course...
Attachments
wreckage.jpg
wreckage.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2426 times

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Postby IceDreamer » 08 Mar 2014, 17:50

Personally I find pure wreck fields dull, as once taken there's no need to hang on. Perhaps you could stick a T2 Pgen, and a couple of neutral Flack/T2PD in there so it's not just a reclaim mission and there's also the incentive to fight over the ability to capture those turrets?
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby roseneath » 08 Mar 2014, 21:09

Looks fun.

I dont like rushing for reclaim though coz it slows down gameplay buildup in exchange for potentially unbalancing the game depending on acu kills or by stategic area lockdown.
could you add allot of reclaim along the outskirts of the central area? close enough to pull acus in but not so close that they are forced to slug out and potentially cause an inbalance. in ffa, if theres an inbalance that early into the game From disconnect or acu loss then the extra mexs available make it more of a 1v1 with those that are closest to the free available mexs.

some ideas. its looking fun though.
roseneath
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: roseneath

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 08 Mar 2014, 21:48

Adding t2 PDs is a bad idea. Then the reclaim isn't worth he trouble, certainly not in the setup of turtling/rushing that we want. A simple failed attack is going to be a massive turning point, so storming the t2 defended reclaim isn't an option. Taking your time with MMLs is also not an option because when you're done killing the t2 PD, other people will have their armies ready to keep you out. In essence, at least 2 T2 armies are going to replace the defended area. Then the reclaim is even less available.

The reclaim isn't really worth it if you have to spend so much on getting it. The only way to make it more enciting, is by adding more reclaim. But then it starts all over again.

So, I think that it is best to keep the reclaim in the middle at this level. The it's worth fighting for, in the beginning, but it's still an option to stay in your base and turtle (if there is some reclaim nearby the base, it can even be a bit closer to the centre), let the others waste their units on the reclaim and then have a go at the even larger wreckage field.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby errorblankfield » 08 Mar 2014, 22:27

Just note, without a radar a T2 PD drops in relative effectiveness.... they actually have lower DPS than their T1 counter parts. This is even worst of you make it Cybran (worst in a ~good~ way. A 'this tower won't be a powerhouse that kills everything' way.) They can only see 28 units out (while T1 sees 24). For comparison, T1 can only fire 26 units. T1 arty will out range a blind T2 turrent.

And the hp difference is 700 for cybran -touch more for other races.

So less DPS (though other perks for some fractions), slightly more range -but still artyable, smidge more hp.

I'd say go for the blind guy.

Won't add a radar at all... unless both sides had easy access to just enough power to keep it up. As in, I have a neutral t1 power plant near my base (and so does my enemy) so we can _mutually_ make that turret a threat early on to deny some reclaim OR I can edge him out by sniping his power and nabbing mine. (Or I can just snipe his and let him assume mine is down as well... a million tactics that could be fun.)

DO IT!
errorblankfield
Priest

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: errorblankfield

Postby Lionhardt » 08 Mar 2014, 23:03

I don't understand your idea. You want outlying power gens that can act as a switch for the civilian radar in the middle? But that does not work. If it is a t1 radar it only needs 20 power. So taking out 1 of 6 outlying power gens won't make it shut down.

roseneath wrote:in ffa, if theres an inbalance that early into the game From disconnect or acu loss then the extra mexs available make it more of a 1v1 with those that are closest to the free available mexs.

some ideas. its looking fun though.

That is why there are only 4 mexes in the middle per player, and an abundance of mexes in the outlying regions of the map. You are much better off expanding outwards not wasting ress on fighting over those 4 mexes.

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 09 Mar 2014, 10:45

That PGen near your own base to work with neutral radar also won't work because every unit will just shoot at it.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Lionhardt » 09 Mar 2014, 12:09

Hm, maybe there might be a solution, if I only understood the idea in the first place...

Here is an update btw. Single mexes and heightmap refinements. Also, I alligned the mex clusters with the ingame structure grid. I got rid of the water for now as it was causing weird artifacts.
Attachments
DP_ov_3.jpg
DP_ov_3.jpg (850.29 KiB) Viewed 2380 times

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor