Morax's Maps

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Morax's Maps

Postby Morax » 07 Sep 2016, 21:37

Hi all, so in order to help keep content fresh I'm going to be working with Lionhardt and biass to create some quality maps. The goal will be to resurrect and continue to develop maps like this amazing one created and designed by Deep_. It will take some time to reach that level, but I think between our skill sets, imaginations, and FAF dev team on Slack we can get this accomplished.

Deep_'s original map:

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImage


This kind of work sadly has faded.... Unfortunately Deep_ was unable to meet the community's satisfaction with gameplay mechanics and it never gained steam. I'm hoping to apply a "gameplay first" design route and test rigorously before adding this kind of detail.

For those who are interested, please share feedback, ideas, concepts, and things you like about certain maps here for me to follow.

I'll post some tools / concepts I have in the following posts.
Maps are important for FAF!

My Map Design & Feedback Thread
User avatar
Morax
Supreme Commander
 
Posts: 2495
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 18:00
Has liked: 951 times
Been liked: 534 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Re: Morax's Maps

Postby Morax » 07 Sep 2016, 21:50

Playing with map size areas...

10x10 and 20x20 have a huge difference as many people know; in fact, 20x20 is VERY unpopular and usually results in bad gameplay just because of the speed at which armies can tech and emplore "super weapons." There is practically no t1 or t2 phase there....

In order to alleviate some of the dullness and redundancy of 10x10, I'm going to make some 20x20 maps that have playable areas of 13x13, 12x14, etc, etc. For 5x5, I'd like to try a 10x10 with 6x6, 6x8, etc, etc.

My first map concept that I want to eventually reach after gaining some experience with the tools is called "Der Schöpfer"

It will feature navy and land gameplay where there will be important, strategic land points and access to the ocean on the north west and north east sides of the map.

PLEASE NOTE: This concept drawing is not finished and I plan to upload another five iterations adding more and more detail. It's a hand-sketch - hopefully that's obvious - so please excuse the appearance of a lack of symmetry.

If you want to see the full resolution images, go to my imgur acct "TemplePilot85"

http://imgur.com/LXJhfhI
Maps are important for FAF!

My Map Design & Feedback Thread
User avatar
Morax
Supreme Commander
 
Posts: 2495
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 18:00
Has liked: 951 times
Been liked: 534 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Re: Morax's Maps

Postby Morax » 07 Sep 2016, 22:21

Features of the above map concept:

1) The starting ACU positions will have very little mexes and one hydro to prevent "eco-whore" gameplay
2) The middle structure will be high, have points below where distance builds can be used like on Regor VI mountains to prevent easy turtling
3) (A) points on the ridges will have a designed distance so that t2 stationary artillery will just reach the core mexes/hydro area of some of the players.
4) The north east portion of the map will have beach bombardment access as well as the rear of the middle to northeast direction start positions. This will create an alternative if the ground war is lost.
5) Reclaim caches will exist but it will be much less than traditional team maps so that fighting for mexes is the driving factor, but it wouldn't be a team game map without a little boost. I'll definitely play with reclaim levels during testing.
6) There will be a wide open field opposite the mountains on the southern ridge....

More to come...
Maps are important for FAF!

My Map Design & Feedback Thread
User avatar
Morax
Supreme Commander
 
Posts: 2495
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 18:00
Has liked: 951 times
Been liked: 534 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Re: Morax's Maps

Postby CookieNoob » 08 Sep 2016, 11:01

wtf how can this map in the op not be one of the popular maps?? Send me the name of the map plz :D

If you like, I can add dynamic spawns and other options to your map once you finished (or explain to you how you can do it yourself)

[EDIT]: better attach it to a forum post, so I can download it at the university :)
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
User avatar
CookieNoob
Priest
 
Posts: 476
Joined: 02 Aug 2014, 17:07
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 247 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Re: Morax's Maps

Postby Anihilnine » 08 Sep 2016, 11:44

Anihilnine
Moderator
 
Posts: 2173
Joined: 16 Apr 2013, 10:10
Has liked: 252 times
Been liked: 373 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Re: Morax's Maps

Postby CookieNoob » 08 Sep 2016, 12:10

Anihilnine wrote:Deep_'s post here:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=4651&p=50189#p50157


thx, but the file isnt available anymore... can someone who has the map upload it then? (together with the textures ofc)
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
User avatar
CookieNoob
Priest
 
Posts: 476
Joined: 02 Aug 2014, 17:07
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 247 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Re: Morax's Maps

Postby Anihilnine » 08 Sep 2016, 13:07

you could PM the people who played on it... in that other thread
Anihilnine
Moderator
 
Posts: 2173
Joined: 16 Apr 2013, 10:10
Has liked: 252 times
Been liked: 373 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Re: Morax's Maps

Postby biass » 08 Sep 2016, 13:22

Lion should have it, we can grab it from him and reupload ^.^
Morax wrote:Questioning what i am doing is like you are trolling me

My map thread: http://bit.ly/2qubD3l

Whiteheart wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
User avatar
biass
Supreme Commander
 
Posts: 1900
Joined: 03 Dec 2015, 07:54
Location: Sexy sexy dual gap v4
Has liked: 568 times
Been liked: 495 times
FAF User Name: biass

Re: Morax's Maps

Postby RocketRooster » 08 Sep 2016, 13:56

Morax wrote:10x10 and 20x20 have a huge difference as many people know; in fact, 20x20 is VERY unpopular and usually results in bad gameplay just because of the speed at which armies can tech and emplore "super weapons." There is practically no t1 or t2 phase there....

In order to alleviate some of the dullness and redundancy of 10x10, I'm going to make some 20x20 maps that have playable areas of 13x13, 12x14, etc, etc. For 5x5, I'd like to try a 10x10 with 6x6, 6x8, etc, etc.


Out of interest, why is the jump made from 10x10 to 20x20 with nothing in between? It's quadruple size. Are these "stock" sizes a built-in limitation of the game engine?
RocketRooster
Avatar-of-War
 
Posts: 294
Joined: 08 Apr 2016, 11:29
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: RocketRooster

Re: Morax's Maps

Postby biass » 08 Sep 2016, 13:58

RocketRooster wrote:
Morax wrote:10x10 and 20x20 have a huge difference as many people know; in fact, 20x20 is VERY unpopular and usually results in bad gameplay just because of the speed at which armies can tech and emplore "super weapons." There is practically no t1 or t2 phase there....

In order to alleviate some of the dullness and redundancy of 10x10, I'm going to make some 20x20 maps that have playable areas of 13x13, 12x14, etc, etc. For 5x5, I'd like to try a 10x10 with 6x6, 6x8, etc, etc.


Out of interest, why is the jump made from 10x10 to 20x20 with nothing in between? It's quadruple size. Are these "stock" sizes a built-in limitation of the game engine?


Yes, they're the starting size of any map, 5k, 10k, 20k, 40k, or 80k
Morax wrote:Questioning what i am doing is like you are trolling me

My map thread: http://bit.ly/2qubD3l

Whiteheart wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
User avatar
biass
Supreme Commander
 
Posts: 1900
Joined: 03 Dec 2015, 07:54
Location: Sexy sexy dual gap v4
Has liked: 568 times
Been liked: 495 times
FAF User Name: biass

Next

Return to Mapping

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest