Adaptive maps, next level map creation

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Adaptive maps, next level map creation

Postby ozonex » 16 Sep 2016, 14:47

SirTobi60 wrote:
ozonex wrote:
SirTobi60 wrote:However the editor has some bugs and requires some editing of the _save.lua file and the _scenario.file to get the map actually working. It will also delete all the reclaim on the map :( so one has to copy it back in manually.

You sure it lose reclaim? Send me PM with what is lost exactly on what map (example to test it) and what is wrong with save and scenario files.

yes I'm sure it loses all units and stuff (so wrecks and civs and so on...) when you save the map (the backup will have this though). The save.lua file is rewritten when you save the map and it doesnt contain any wreckage. Furthermore if you dont delete the comments that are saved into that file, the map wont work. Even the editor wont load it properly.

I already reported the ['SpawnWithArmy'] thing on the hydros that are added, but this has to be fixed too.

The scenario.lua file also contains some strange characters (that are kinda invisible). I had to copy the text in the file, delete everything there and paste it back... that fixed this (the text in both files is identical, "grep-nir" doesn't show any difference, the file size differs though). Same thing applies to the save.lua file too.

The scenario file loses all information about extra props (i.e. civilian army) and this army also gets deleted form the save.lua file.

As an example to test it: download Wonder Open ultimate and look at the save.lua file (on the very bottom there are the wrecks as parts of army_17). Now open the map in the editor and save it. Now reload the save.lua file and you will see no more wrecks. To test the hydro thing: just add a hydro, save the map and search the save.lua file for hydro_X, you will see the wrong formatting immediately. To check the strange letter bug: save the map and open FA (from the FAF folder, offline), now open the debug console in the main menu (put it on some hotkey) and host a game lobby (skirmish). Select the map and try to load it (if you can start the game, the bug isnt there). Some errors will show up in the debug window pointing to the comment lines in save.lua and maybe also to scenario.lua. Changing the map afterwards is usually impossible because the lobby crashes and you cant push any button when you want to leave the map selection window. You can change the map by either deleting the broken one or hosting a game on FAF (since it will override the last played map). I am not at home to check if these tests really work, but I am 99.99% certain they will.

Thanks, I will try to fix it this weekend.
FAF Map Editor Alpha v0.605 > Get it now!
ozonex
Priest

Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 263 times
FAF User Name: ozonex

Postby CookieNoob » 16 Sep 2016, 15:04

could you also add a small functionality to create a list like it is done on the newer maps from the ultimate series? If you want to see an example download corona ultimate. There is a file called Corona_Ultimate_tables.lua. If you could create such a file by selecting some mex and hydro and then selecting "Army X" would be super awesome!

It would also make the making process of this type of map even easier. I have a _script.lua file that does all of this stuff and doesnt harm the map if it is just copied in. There are a lot of options already implemented (i.e. dynmanic spawning, presets (i.e. 4v4...), spawn of mex somewhere, civilians, reclaim, even the crazyrush script is there) and an _options.lua file where one just has to uncomment the options that are supposed to be there.

At the moment it takes about 40 minutes to make a basic version of the map with dynamic spawns, with this function it would reduce to 20 I think.
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
CookieNoob
Priest

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 249 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Postby ozonex » 16 Sep 2016, 17:22

SirTobi60 wrote:could you also add a small functionality to create a list like it is done on the newer maps from the ultimate series? If you want to see an example download corona ultimate. There is a file called Corona_Ultimate_tables.lua. If you could create such a file by selecting some mex and hydro and then selecting "Army X" would be super awesome!

It would also make the making process of this type of map even easier. I have a _script.lua file that does all of this stuff and doesnt harm the map if it is just copied in. There are a lot of options already implemented (i.e. dynmanic spawning, presets (i.e. 4v4...), spawn of mex somewhere, civilians, reclaim, even the crazyrush script is there) and an _options.lua file where one just has to uncomment the options that are supposed to be there.

At the moment it takes about 40 minutes to make a basic version of the map with dynamic spawns, with this function it would reduce to 20 I think.

It shouldn't be a problem.
FAF Map Editor Alpha v0.605 > Get it now!
ozonex
Priest

Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 263 times
FAF User Name: ozonex

Postby tatsu » 27 Sep 2016, 17:51

Holy SHIT cookie noob that's amazing!!! :o
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby tatsu » 28 Sep 2016, 13:44

do ISIS please ! :)
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby CookieNoob » 28 Sep 2016, 18:16

tatsu wrote:do ISIS please ! :)

I put it on the list.
http://meetingwords.com/ep/pad/view/MuhxJZqcBS/latest
CookieNoob
Priest

Postby CookieNoob » 08 Oct 2016, 14:20

I made a short (~10 minutes) tutorial how to make an adaptive map (it's really simple with the latest version of the script)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVxEhCu ... e=youtu.be
CookieNoob
Priest

Postby Cheva » 24 Oct 2016, 00:37

All Hail CookieNoob the master of maps.

Chevalier
"Mieux vaut savoir que richesse. "
Cheva
Contributor

Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: Chevalier

Postby Morax » 27 Oct 2016, 19:39

Cheva wrote:All Hail CookieNoob the master of maps.

Chevalier

As much as I would like to agree he's very master-like, Lionhardt is the one and true der Schöpfer of FAF maps 8-)
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby CookieNoob » 28 Oct 2016, 00:27

thx Cheva ;)

I implemented a new feature: regrowing trees.

if a tree is reclaimed/destroyed it has a 1/800*(number of close trees**) chance to respawn every second. The trees just appear in a quite abrupt manner but if you dont look too closely ;) it also works with tree bunches. If there are no bunches (yea bad map) it looks kinda good though.

I will update wonder open with that feature and all other maps that require bug fixing or additional options.

**maximal 10 trees are counted

maybe someone with a wiki account can add my video tutorial (3 posts above) to the mapping entry in the wiki?
CookieNoob
Priest

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping