biass's maps/map diary

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: biass's maps/map diary

Postby Lionhardt » 04 Mar 2016, 12:13

Yea, supcom really does not lend itself toward creating artificial terrain like cities and other structures. imo all the maps that have tried this look at best acceptable. It's just not worth it, and sticking to natural terrain leads to much more satisfying results.

If on the other hand the editor could be expanded by a whole bunch of new props, similar to the large wall segments... as well as more tech-themed decals... but we would need somebody interested in creating that theme set and then it would need to get patched into everybody's game etc...

Though there are certain limitations that probably cannot ever be overcome. We will never have actual bridges for example, which is a shame. Another thing that is not possible for the same reason is platform-like structures that extend over a cliff and the like. One of the few things supcom2 did better... Bu tthen again, I really don't like all the tech-themed maps of supcom2, so maybe it's better this way :D
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby biass » 04 Mar 2016, 12:57

Lionhardt wrote:Yea, supcom really does not lend itself toward creating artificial terrain like cities and other structures. imo all the maps that have tried this look at best acceptable. It's just not worth it, and sticking to natural terrain leads to much more satisfying results.

If on the other hand the editor could be expanded by a whole bunch of new props, similar to the large wall segments... as well as more tech-themed decals... but we would need somebody interested in creating that theme set and then it would need to get patched into everybody's game etc...

Though there are certain limitations that probably cannot ever be overcome. We will never have actual bridges for example, which is a shame. Another thing that is not possible for the same reason is platform-like structures that extend over a cliff and the like. One of the few things supcom2 did better... Bu tthen again, I really don't like all the tech-themed maps of supcom2, so maybe it's better this way :D

Mm true, having no bridges is a shame, but trying to come up with some nice heightmap that is not the same as every other map is a problem at the moment, maybe i should wait a couple days and come back, and also get better at using worldmachine :D
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby biass » 22 Mar 2016, 17:57

Hey all, long time no see, its good to see the map forums actually somewhat alive, maybe that was due to Lionhardt, but hey x)

I know some people are looking to start on their own maps or need help with the editor, feel free to PM me or anyone else if you need help, we are happy to give it to you.

I have been going onto my map "Crashing waves" and giving it a makeover with some better decals, im still looking for playtesters to make this map a fun experience for 1v1, But now we might have to wait for the upload button.

An image of one of the spawns^

I have also done some work on the Dual Gap ep, which i have apparently taken over from KD7BCH after his hate filled ranting. Oh well, here are the screenshots that i posted in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11534
(It's too bad the salt was removed.)

After this, i think i will have a good at a moon map, we will see what we can do with it, Thanks!~

Pray for the upload button's return.

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Postby Lionhardt » 22 Mar 2016, 18:11

I would suggest adding some intensity randomness to your strata. like this one:

random.jpg
random.jpg (49.14 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
when you combine a few of those you get a texture that doe snot look so solid, like this (those are in-editor):

random2.jpg
random2.jpg (416.47 KiB) Viewed 3013 times

random3.jpg
random3.jpg (402.1 KiB) Viewed 3013 times

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Postby biass » 22 Mar 2016, 18:19

Thanks pal, ill have a look at adding some variation, and post some screenshots when i come up with something i can present.

biass
Contributor

Postby Lionhardt » 23 Mar 2016, 12:17

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Postby biass » 24 Mar 2016, 14:45

Some screenshots from a texture reshuffle of crashing waves, with different lighting.

Lots of cleaning passes to go, i think, importing from worldmachine and also from photoshop is messy work, i hope it will be worth it in the end. <3

biass
Contributor

Postby Lionhardt » 24 Mar 2016, 15:44

Huh? Your heightmap doesn't like like it came out of world machine. What did you do in WM with the heightmap?

Also, what do you mean "messy"?

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Postby biass » 24 Mar 2016, 15:46

Heightmap no, some of the texturemaps yes, the slope and also some convexity, the basic version does not export to high res and thus becomes kinda pixelated, is why i need to keep scouring over the map for clean ups

biass
Contributor

Postby Lionhardt » 24 Mar 2016, 15:50

Nah, just blurr it in PS.

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor