lol yes, because novax can catch asf.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Re: Proposal: Novax rework

Postby A_vehicle » 23 Mar 2013, 04:38

Many mods have been made that allow SMD to shoot down Novax. I personally don't like the idea, but that is just me.

Originally, though, the Novax command center was supposed to be able to build multiple satellites as it has a build animation and a launch animation. Since GPG decided to give the command station only one satellite each, they currently play the build and the launch animation at the same time, when launching it's only satellite. Proof in the command center's script(XEB4202_Script.lua):
Code: Select all
            # Play open animations.  Currently both play after unit finished, but will change
            # to play one while being built and one when finished       
            # Can't use PermOpenAnimation because of the satellite

Maybe the satellite should stay invulnerable, but when ordered to commit suicide the command center builds another satellite instead of also commiting suicide.

Or maybe not.
Typical Voodoo Edition Map Dialog:
Master_lee wrote:Varaxis ist loser vote all my maps 1 !!! he cant make maps noob go home !!!!!!

Padfoot141 wrote:Terrible map. Spawn with 6 commanders and there are civillians with fatboys.

Master_lee wrote:Padfoot141 go home loser ! go play thermo !
A_vehicle

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: A_vehicle

Postby Valki » 23 Mar 2013, 08:47

Oh, I did not say that in my opinion the Novax is perfectly fine.

I used it twice so far in 1v1's.

The first time it gave me invaluable intel and killed like 3 T1 engineers, game won.
The second time it killed over 10 masspoints, game won.

Would buy again.
Valki

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: Valki

Postby ColonelSheppard » 23 Mar 2013, 11:26

vehicel, sats were used to snipe high priority buildings, this is why they dont rebuild anymore
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Arx » 23 Mar 2013, 17:15

Not sure if they are powerful enough, but they are not exited really.
Not feeling like an experimental.
Arx
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Arx

Postby laPPen » 24 Mar 2013, 14:00

I like this idea. Make the satelite more useable by making it cheaper/better but vulnereable aswell.
There might be some things about that change that need to be thought about so it doesnt have to big impacts on the gameplay.
Maybe we could put into the next balance patch.
The basic idea is quite good imo.
We would need some sort of mobile nukedef though. (What would be good anyway)
laPPen

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: laPPen

Postby Valki » 24 Mar 2013, 19:10

Making the satellite vulnerable in any way will ruin the very concept of the Novax.
Valki

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: Valki

Postby zolikk » 24 Mar 2013, 22:25

Valki wrote:Making the satellite vulnerable in any way will ruin the very concept of the Novax.

Well, this "concept" of the Novax makes it either impractical, or OP if you buff it substantially. Basically, at the exact point where the Novax becomes viable and worthwhile to build, it also becomes OP.

To overcome this, the mechanics of the unit should change a bit. Give it some weakness/counters; for instance, as I suggested: SMD and limited air time. Then you can buff it so that it's worth making.

I don't see how this would affect the feel of the experimental - it's still an orbital death ray, it'd still work the same way. Or are you saying that the concept of the Novax is for it to be invulnerable but nearly useless?
Last edited by zolikk on 25 Mar 2013, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
zolikk
Crusader

Postby A_vehicle » 24 Mar 2013, 22:45

Valki wrote:Making the satellite vulnerable in any way will ruin the very concept of the Novax.

True. I think the satellite is very useable as it is. Although it doesn't really "feel" like a game ender experimental if you have less than three or four over an enemy's base, it gets the job done.
Typical Voodoo Edition Map Dialog:
Master_lee wrote:Varaxis ist loser vote all my maps 1 !!! he cant make maps noob go home !!!!!!

Padfoot141 wrote:Terrible map. Spawn with 6 commanders and there are civillians with fatboys.

Master_lee wrote:Padfoot141 go home loser ! go play thermo !
A_vehicle

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: A_vehicle

Postby zolikk » 25 Mar 2013, 00:13

Another potential idea:

As Mycen pointed out, T3 Arty is basically just as indestructible as the Novax, and the only way to stop it from firing is to destroy the building.

So, if the Novax is to have SMD counter, it could in turn be made "stronger" than arty, but in a clever way: staying in one spot continually firing its beam makes its damage (and maybe radius) increase with time, capping at some amount, say 4-5x its base DPS, turning it into a shield breaker, just like T3 arty, at a cheaper cost, but able to be countered by SMD.

Either make it unable to fire while moving, or just have its damage boost reset to zero continually while it is moving. In the second option, which I prefer, it could still follow units and fire at them, but in this situation it wouldn't be stronger than it is now (otherwise, navy with no SMD or an advancing ground army would just be fried fast by it). So the satellite would completely keep its current use as a harassment unit, especially against navy, while getting a new functionality similar to arty in a way.
zolikk
Crusader

Previous

Return to Patch 3622