Proposal: Novax rework

Proposal: Novax rework

Postby zolikk » 21 Mar 2013, 17:10

This is my first post, I really hope I'm posting in the right place, if not, please tell me so it can be moved. Also, I may have serious misconceptions as I'm not a good player (yet, let's hope), so please point them out.

Just like many others I believe, I don't like that the UEF only has two practical experimentals to work with, out of which only one can be used on any map, while the other is really just a replacement for their missing aircraft carrier (though it's of course an extremely awesome unit). However, I do not wish to see the faction style changed or to introduce new units, which may ruin the flavor of the faction for many people, and would never happen realistically.

So I thought about a potential way to modify the Novax, while keeping it within the faction style, just to give UEF players something new to work with in a practical way.

Now, I understand the underlying problem with the Novax. It is not worth building outside of "the funzies", but it has the potential to become extremely overpowered if it's simply buffed. What I'd like is to change the way the Novax works, so that it becomes worth using, while still maintaining the original idea as best as possible.

Also, I have absolutely no idea how doable this would be from a coding perspective.

The idea:

The way I imagined it is that the Novax Center would work similarly to a strat launcher. You create the building, and it can produce satellites, at about the cost of strategic missiles (you'll understand the cost, later). Of course, the Center should cost a little less because of this (and have significantly less build time), so that the initial cost of the first satellite should be the same as what you'd pay for in its current incarnation.

So, satellites are created like strat missiles, but are immediately launched and become the same unit as they currently are. The Center would have a limit (say 3, like SML) that it can control, so you'd need to build more Centers to have more satellites.

The other big detail would be that satellites are no longer "invulnerable", but can be shot down by SMD. When this happens, the satellite explodes in orbit and does not air-crash. Naturally, Ctrl-K or destroying the Center makes all afferent satellites fall down.

Now that the satellites have a counter which is an often-used game mechanic and are no longer invulnerable, the combat capabilities could be increased to make them worthwhile. I suggest:
- Shortening the fire cycle to increase DPS by no more than 100%.
OR
- Giving it a significantly greater damage radius.

What this means:
- Novax keeps its original flavor, while being cheaper and possibly worthwhile to use. The first satellite should cost as much as it does now (with the added cost of the Center), but the average cost of a single satellite would be much lower.
- No longer an indestructible unit (not a good model in the original, I say), it now has a counter, in good synergy with an already-present game mechanic.

Potential problem: Players abuse satellites to eat up SMDs before a strategic launch.

Solution: Since the cost of a satellite is just as much as a nuke, this should be no different than launching multiple nukes to overwhelm SMD.

Potential problem: Using the (buffed) satellites en masse to snipe ACUs.

Solution: As far as cost goes, this is much more expensive than a single nuke, and both are stopped by the same defensive measures. If the ACU is in the open, this method is much less cost-effective than using gunships or strat bombers, though it would be a viable snipe method if you happen to have satellites.

Potential problem: Players turtle up by spamming satellites. The cost would be impractical at first, but once you (somehow) get a dozen (buffed) satellites, you'd have an invulnerable and strong preemptive defense system.

Solution: Give satellites limited fuel, like other air units have. The satellite cannot refuel, and once it runs out of time, it crashes to the ground. This would make it so the turtler has to constantly replace satellites, most likely leading to economic choke as a turtle usually does.
It also makes satellites last a limited time even if SMD is not used at all, so you cannot hoard them up into a huge pack-death-laser.

Please tell me what you think, if this idea holds water at all, if it could make the Novax a better experimental, or if it has any other potential exploit possibilities that make it a stupid idea.
zolikk
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Proposal: Novax rework

Postby ColonelSheppard » 21 Mar 2013, 17:19

The novax is good as it is, it already own cybran navy and in bigger groups even heavier shielded bases, remember that it has unlimited range

The only thing i can imagine is that it gets a permanent beam with the same dps, this would make it feel a lot better
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby zolikk » 21 Mar 2013, 17:31

Oh yes. I did not consider naval situations, where you can't have SMD. A heavily shielded base however, could have an SMD built.

But I guess, if a satellite costs as much as a strat missile, and it only lasts 3-5 minutes, it would take a lot of your eco to maintain an army of satellites to vaporize fleets, which, in turn, are resources you don't put elsewhere. But then, if satellites lasted too short, you wouldn't have the incentive to build them in the first place...
zolikk
Crusader

Postby Valki » 21 Mar 2013, 18:34

ColonelSheppard wrote:The only thing i can imagine is that it gets a permanent beam with the same dps, this would make it feel a lot better

Like the replicator stargate beam weapon from Stargate Atlantis?

that would be cool
Valki

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: Valki

Postby Golol » 21 Mar 2013, 18:35

i dont think the novax needs to be totallys reworked.
right now its just barely useful because of its low dps.
I think it should get atleast 1/4 of the czars dps but no damage against shields. otherwise it would be op for sniping acus.
with a higher dps, it can be used for shredding attacking armies so its acutally a defense satellite. not an attack base satellite
Golol
Contributor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Golol

Postby ColonelSheppard » 21 Mar 2013, 18:55

Valki wrote:Like the replicator stargate beam weapon from Stargate Atlantis?

you read my mind :mrgreen:

Golol wrote:I think it should get atleast 1/4 of the czars dps but no damage against shields. otherwise it would be op for sniping

better think again :roll:
tip: mobile shields :P?
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby zolikk » 21 Mar 2013, 19:06

Golol wrote:i dont think the novax needs to be totallys reworked.
right now its just barely useful because of its low dps.
I think it should get atleast 1/4 of the czars dps but no damage against shields. otherwise it would be op for sniping acus.
with a higher dps, it can be used for shredding attacking armies so its acutally a defense satellite. not an attack base satellite

It's not really that big of a rework, it's mostly the same thing. The main idea is that it should get more attractive because while the first satellite is still the same cost, subsequent satellites up until the limit of the Center would be cheaper, so you'd be tempted to build and use more than one, which is what makes it strong in the first place anyway. It's just more interesting than simply buffing its DPS.

Plus I feel it's awkward for the unit to be completely invulnerable. I just feel it's better for it to be cheaper and more useful, but have another counter apart from destroying its building.
zolikk
Crusader

Postby ColonelSheppard » 21 Mar 2013, 19:24

if i want a CZAR, i build a CZAR, if i want a nuke, i build a nuke, if i want a satalite, i build a satlite
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby Golol » 21 Mar 2013, 19:26

@ colonel oh i forgot to write its only for static shields.
@zolikk but in your example i would definetly prefer nukes. i wouldnt use it either.
Golol
Contributor

FAF User Name: Golol

Postby Golol » 21 Mar 2013, 19:27

and if you want a czar and a fatboy :3?
Golol
Contributor