Balance Test Mod.

Re: Balance Test Mod.

Postby Ze_PilOt » 05 Mar 2013, 10:09

pip wrote:
Ze_PilOt wrote:But one thing is certain : reduce, or even remove the smoke trail they leave behind, especially Aeon ones. The UEF ASF seems to use a non smoke FX trail, it should be much less a strain for the game, because the rendering engine suffers a lot from overlapping smoke fx, each being semi transparent (it's the same when lot of trees are burning).
That's probably one of the biggest cause of slowdown produced by flying blobs of ASF.

That should increase FPS but probably not sim speed (unlike proven otherwise :-)
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby pip » 05 Mar 2013, 10:32

Ze_PilOt wrote:
pip wrote:
Ze_PilOt wrote:But one thing is certain : reduce, or even remove the smoke trail they leave behind, especially Aeon ones. The UEF ASF seems to use a non smoke FX trail, it should be much less a strain for the game, because the rendering engine suffers a lot from overlapping smoke fx, each being semi transparent (it's the same when lot of trees are burning).
That's probably one of the biggest cause of slowdown produced by flying blobs of ASF.

That should increase FPS but probably not sim speed (unlike proven otherwise :-)

If a player's game is slowed due to FPS drop, I think it cannot have any positive impact on the overall sim speed. I don't think it's just cosmetic : the trails follow the path of the ASF so some calculation takes place. It's probably an easy calculation, but when there are 50 and more ASF, it can become more demanding. So I think it does impact sim speed at least a bit.

And one thing is certain : all players watching at the ASF trails (during large fights for instance) will have their game slowed down heavily (no matter how good their graphic card is, mine is not bad) so even if sim speed is not directly affected, the gameplay comfort of these players is severly impacted.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby MushrooMars » 05 Mar 2013, 15:23

I agree with removing smoke, it looks kinda ugly anyways. If we really need an engine affect for Air, a faction-colored contrail would work better.

Also, AoE on SAM works really well - maybe too well. Just tested it, and 21 SAMs could kill 100 UEF ASF (from the 1.6.6 patch) in under 30 seconds. About 15 of those seconds were spent butchering 70 ASF with AoE, while the other 15 was picking off stragglers.

Bear in mind I'm using 3 AoE radius with 50% damage though. It does an excellent job of tearing large swarms to shreds, while smaller amounts of ASF aren't punished as much. That's what we want, right?
MushrooMars

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: MushrooMars

Postby dstojkov » 05 Mar 2013, 15:51

hi guys,

Again with the aurora settings ... I tested it yesterday and today to finally come to this settings that allow you retreating even clicking like hell. Some units goes attracted but in a very little portion in comparaison with before ( just for info I am so satisfied that I will add this to my own mod )

I just give the value that changed

MaxSpeedReverse = 3,
MaxSteerForce = 20,
MaxBrake = 0,

Just test it and add it if you satisfied with the result to the balance mod

Regards

P.S: If the test with sam aoe afford you what you aimed then think to bring back the eco to 3599 otherwise it will be too much nerfed

P.S: all t1 bomber have the FixBombTrajectory = true but the uef one. Just add it to the next patch would be fair
Last edited by dstojkov on 05 Mar 2013, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
dstojkov
Evaluator

Been liked: 24 times

Postby Myxir » 05 Mar 2013, 17:56

ok, i think hoplites are too strong with 550 hp, and here's a replay
as you can see, there's nothing you can do against a t2 army, they just murder everything (as before) and can barely be killed now
Attachments
691448-Brainwashed.fafreplay
(109.19 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby uberge3k » 05 Mar 2013, 18:33

What we need are more test games. Not radical changes - not *yet* - but to firstly determine if there actually is a problem, what those problems are, and then come up with intelligent ways of addressing them whilst keeping the impact to the rest of the game at the bare minimum.

In terms of tech progression and overall land/sea/air balance, I believe that things are presently working more-or-less as intended. You *can* stop air with land or naval based defenses.

What the test game does show is that a well-coordinated team with a plan will smash a team without a plan. I believe that if the bottom team had gone full land, perhaps with SCUs (as they have phenomenal AA plus the ability to quickly throw down SAMs) they likely could have won. In the game, they more or less didn't know what to do once they lost air, while the top team was communicating with each other and coordinating their air attacks.

Therefore, we should first get some replays of evenly matched teams trying various tactics. Would an all-land push work? All-navy? Etc. TAGs seem to have come crawling out of the woodwork this week, so I'll try to organize some games with them to try this.

The one area that I believe may be slightly imbalanced is gunships vs navy. Hover flak obviously solves this problem, but UEF and Cybran are screwed. If this is indeed proven to be a legitimate concern, I believe that the simplest solution would be to move the Seraphim cruiser's flak weapon to the UEF and Cybran cruisers.

Now, what I believe the real issue of air is, that doesn't seem to be getting much attention, is that it's relatively static. Basically, whenever I play air, I *never* initiate a fight. To do so would immediately put me at a disadvantage. Instead, I attempt to force the other player to fight on my terms, so that I control the point at which my air force engages theirs and therefore dramatically increases my odds of victory. Any other decent air player will do the same.

That means that in an evenly matched game, we have ASF stacking up in a cold war type scenario. Whomever loses that air fight will likely lose air, and be at a sufficient disadvantage that victory will be very difficult to impossible, simply by virtue of the fact that they lost several tens of thousands of mass.

Now, land doesn't seem to suffer from this issue because of the necessity of controlling the map, not only to control mass and reclaimables but to set up firebases and block off potential vectors of attack. Similarly, you want to push your navy as close to the enemy's base as possible to shell it from afar. But, since there is no "territory" to fight over in air, air moves extremely quickly, and air strikes are generally one-time-only frontloaded it-works-or-it-doesn't type deals, there is no point in keeping your air vulnerable until you need it.

Now, one other possibly legitimate concern raised is that strats are the ultimate game ender. This is true to some degree. 20 strats will generally be guaranteed to kill an ACU, or at least an SMD or two allowing for a nuke, assuming that you have the air superiority required to get those strats over your enemy's base.

I believe that this is likely to be balanced as-is, for two reasons:

1) It's very expensive - 20 strats cost as much as two land based experimentals, and if you're two exps behind your enemy you can't really expect to defend against them.
2) You can mitigate the effectiveness of air strikes through careful placement of SAMs. In most games, people tend to put their SAMs in the middle of their base, and their ACUs / SMDs / etc either in the center or at the edge of their base. If the SAMs are approximately 1.5x SAM-range-radius' in front of what they need to protect, it's likely that they'll have enough time to target and kill some of the strats before they drop their payload.

We need to test this! This should be our next highest priority to get replays of to determine if strats are too effective, or if players simply aren't fully utilizing the tools available to counter them.

Now, if this is proven to not be balanced, I would recommend very slight tweaks to two properties to make strat snipes easier to defend against:

- Decrease the range at which strats can drop their bombs.
- Decrease the HP of strats so that SAMs kill them faster.

As near as I can tell, this would have the absolute smallest amount of impact on the rest of the game whilst fixing the real problem.

Finally, assuming that we can conclusively prove that the status quo is indeed balanced in an evenly matched game (in the sense that air and its counters are functioning properly, and that the perceived strength of air is simply due to the fact that after losing the one major air fight you're at a massive mass disadvantage) and/or we've addressed any outstanding minor imbalances to the point where it can be considered as such, we should look at reducing the staticness of air. To that effect, I have two ideas of varying complexity:

Option 1: Encourage offensive plays.

Until you have air superiority, it's generally a very bad idea to invest in offensive units such as strats or gunships. The reason is simple mathematics:

- Simplifying a bit for brevity, the ratio of ASF:strat can be safely assumed as being 5:1. http://faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/unit.p ... 04,UEA0303

- Player A starts with 10 ASF.
- Player B starts with 10 ASF.

- Player A continues making ASF. He now has 20.
- Player B makes two strats. He now has 10 ASF and two strats.

Player B has now lost air superiority, no matter what he does. He would have to cripple Player A's economy in order to ever catch up in air, and those two strats are almost assured to not be able to get through to kill anything worth their huge investment.

One possibility is to decrease both the effectiveness and the cost of strats, making them more disposable so that it's possible to cost-effectively attack with them, forcing more air fights and dynamic air combat. For example:

- HP: 4000 -> 1500
- Mass: 2100 -> 1200
- Energy: 105,000 -> 60,000
- Build time: 8400 -> 5,000
- Bomb damage: 3000 -> 2,000

Would this make strats too effective? Likely. But it would also force players to make more strats, and use those strats offensively, thus giving the defending player a chance to catch up by successfully defending against those now-paper strats with SAMs and small numbers of his own ASF.

It may, however, require increasing the air speed of all T3 air by 10-20% if T1/T2 interceptors are seen to be too cost-effective at defending against them, reducing the importance of ASF.

This is likely to be a half-fix - it might move the gameplay in the right direction, but air is still likely to be relatively static simply by virtue of the fact that playing riskily with such a huge investment is generally bad gameplay.

Option 2: Total Air Rebalance.
The second, and far more complicated, idea is to completely remake air across all tech levels by adding several new classes of units. At a high level, that would involve:

- Long range gunships roughly equivalent to T3 mobile artillery, designed for slowly taking out SAMs and prevent turtling. Can also effectively attack ASF.
- Cheaper, faster and weaker bombers to encourage aggressive plays.
- Very fast, very weak Interceptors (no relation to the T1 unit of the same name) designed only for taking out offensive air units.
- Slower, expensive and heavily armored ASF that are more equivalent to flying tanks, designed to slowly secure air superiority.
- Gunships would remain fairly similar, designed to mop up areas after their defenses have been surgically removed.

Presently, the air tree looks something like this:

ASF >>> literally every other air unit

The rebalance would aim to change that to this:

Arty-Gunship > ASF > Int > Arty-Gunship + Bombers

Air combat would encourage early, quick attacks with bombers, being countered just as quickly with interceptors. ASF would then come out to slowly solidify areas of air control, and long range gunships would be used to try to snipe them from afar - causing yet more interceptor skirmishes to break out. All the while bombers and gunships can be sent out to try to effectively raid or simply to force more engagements to try to secure air control.

The biggest change would, of course, come at the T3 stage of the game. T1/T2 would likely remain very similar to their current form, as they're fairly well balanced already, with the possible exception of making T1 ints faster and T1 bombers cheaper+less effective so as to encourage more raiding with them.

In summary:

- We need MOAR DATA to work with!
- Then we can slowly change what's been proven to not work, in terms of T3 air currently being too strong/too weak/just right.
- Once the current gameplay is solidified, we can start working on improving it by trying to nudge gameplay in a more dynamic and action-packed direction, and away from "let's pile up ASF until we have one big fight that decides the game."
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby Veta » 05 Mar 2013, 19:03

No need to add on what uber said, he has the proper approach - more test games and ultimately cater the solution to the data presented. i have to say i am partial to the complete air redesign as i too read and appreciate admiralzeech's air combat thread.

Arty-Gunship > ASF > Int > Arty-Gunship + Bombers

T1 Fighter-Bomber would be interesting as well.
FA is a game of economic micromanagement (what StarCraft players mistakenly call 'macro') and tactical trumping (e.g. T2 PD countering T1 Spam).
Veta

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Sunny » 05 Mar 2013, 19:23

Wow, that Uber's post was long.

I'll summarise in few lines.
1. Uber thinks, curent air costs encourage accumulating of ASFs, thus discouraging any aggressive use of air in fear of losing air completely.
2. Uber suggests, probably not tying to trick the reader, but actually by mistake two options is form of alternative.
2.1. Make air bombers cheap.
2.2. Make completely different rock-paper-scissors game instead of current air.

My ideas about it.
1. True, people alway do tens of ASFs, if enemy has t3 air too before doing anything offensive. 20 asfs are 8k mass, 50 are 20k. Large, but yet not insane amount.
2. This is definitely is not an alternative.
2.1. This wil ruin the game, it's already not that tactical because of air speed, ability to focus (Uber alos mentions terrain in above post, poining out the difference). The simplest way to get this in-depth is to ask Brainwashed or Crazed, I'm too lazy to write it down here in detail.
2.2. We will have another game to balance. Take a note, that units with remarkably better range will always overpower those with worse range in large numbers. People will just spam T1 inties 1st and those gunships 2nd. Well, we even have such a unit, called restorer. Even w/o land range, they were completely OPed in 3599 because of energy cost AND hp. And yes, many other unbalances are just not evident to me, while I write it.

MUCH simplier and IMO somewhat realistic solutions.
1. FunkOff's solution.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3086&start=180
is about making ASF dedicated T3 bombers/air T4 killers. He even implemented it! Would require some balancing as bombers/T4 air will become too good initially.
2. My solution. Make ASF "hoplites of air". More range, like 3x cost, make anything flying 5% slower, than T1 inties.
3. Any sort of no-flying-zone solution. Being related indireclty, will fix game more and bring more to game, than any ASF's changes itself. Navy will need some love too.
Sunny

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Sunny

Postby pip » 05 Mar 2013, 19:45

Myxir wrote:ok, i think hoplites are too strong with 550 hp, and here's a replay
as you can see, there's nothing you can do against a t2 army, they just murder everything (as before) and can barely be killed now

That's not exactly what I could see. I saw that you couldn't stop Hoplites with t1 land and unupgraded ACU, which is already the case as Aeon with 450 HP Hoplites. It's the same against Mongeese or Ilshavoh (except if they get in range of ACU OC).
You didn't have gun upgrade on ACU, so not enough range, and above all, you didn't use bombers. Aeon bombers stun, so they are the perfect counter against Hoplites : not only do they hurt them bad, they also allow your ground forces to catch up a bit. They are supposed to drop their bombs more reliably now, so it would have been good to test them.

To be fair, I would say that it's true Hoplites are harder to counter with Aeon land only now, but the results of this game would not have been much different in 3621 because he kept his Hoplites out of reach all the time, wether they have 450 or 550 HP is not what gave him the win. He got the win because you didn't use a proper counter : either gun upgrade, t2 PD, t1 bombers, gunship, and shields + Blazes. If you had tried that, and failed, then I would have backed your assumption.

It's nice to have balance test replays, but just one game and one replay without testing other strategies after being defeated once is not enough to assume something is OP or UP now, etc (same for aurora behaviour, ASF hp nerf, etc). It's impossible to have reliable data with just a couple games. I totally support Uber about this: there needs to be much more games.

The good thing about this replay is that the two players are equally skilled, that's super good (and rare), and that's why more games should be played to verify the assumptions of too good Hoplites / too good auroras.
pip
Supreme Commander

Postby pip » 05 Mar 2013, 20:04

By the way, anyone wanting to test the kind of t3 bombers Uber describe, i.e. cheaper, less HP, less damage, better for attacking units and less efficient at sniping, can already do it by playing with the Nomads. That's roughly how their bomber is balanced compared to the others (and the reason why people say the Nomad t3 bomber is crappy because they expect t3 bombers to be ultimate sniping game enders).
pip
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Patch 3622