(35.44 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Re: Fixing ASF lag/swarm.

Postby Badsearcher » 11 Mar 2013, 23:02

Food for thought. If you give t3 AA a small AOE then the in-universe explanation you can give is by saying that the missile's warhead is part shaped-charge and part flak. That way you perfectly explain why the missile does the most damage to what it directly hits while doing a variable but smaller damage around where it explodes.
Badsearcher

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Badsearcher

Postby Veta » 12 Mar 2013, 15:14

i played a 2v2 with funks mod and while we didn't see major ASF play the ones that did come out didn't completely obliterate their cost in T2/T1 fighters.

it definitely rebalances air (in a good way i think, it needs more testing) and i could see air play being a little more dynamic than 'pump massive amounts of ASF'.

funks mod needs testing on setons.

this is tangential but why is there was no roll off for air and what is the opposition to adding it for consistency. i'm curious because it seems like it's never more efficient to make additional air factories, at least with roll offs you have a buildtime floor. justification is simple - jets take time to warm up.
FA is a game of economic micromanagement (what StarCraft players mistakenly call 'macro') and tactical trumping (e.g. T2 PD countering T1 Spam).
Veta

Postby Eukanuba » 12 Mar 2013, 15:53

Badsearcher wrote:Food for thought. If you give t3 AA a small AOE then the in-universe explanation you can give is by saying that the missile's warhead is part shaped-charge and part flak. That way you perfectly explain why the missile does the most damage to what it directly hits while doing a variable but smaller damage around where it explodes.

Or just that the centre of an explosion has higher pressure than the area further from the centre?
Eukanuba
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Eukanuba

Postby Badsearcher » 12 Mar 2013, 18:57

But the pressure to distance ratio declines exponentially in midair (because the explosion dissipates in all three directions) so I would argue that flak is more efficient for conveying an aoe.
Badsearcher

Postby Eukanuba » 12 Mar 2013, 19:05

Badsearcher wrote:But the pressure to distance ratio declines exponentially in midair (because the explosion dissipates in all three directions) so I would argue that flak is more efficient for conveying an aoe.

Yes, it's pretty moot though. I vote for invisible space weasels. :D
Eukanuba
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Eukanuba

Postby Badsearcher » 12 Mar 2013, 20:14

What did you think flak was?
Badsearcher

Postby rootbeer23 » 12 Mar 2013, 20:53

Badsearcher wrote:But the pressure to distance ratio declines exponentially in midair (because the explosion dissipates in all three directions) so I would argue that flak is more efficient for conveying an aoe.

the energy is actually proportional to the square root of the distance (the shockwave is approximately the surface of an expanding sphere). that is not exponential but quadratic.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby Firestarter » 12 Mar 2013, 20:55

FunkOff wrote:Here's my idea, it's got a few parts, most of which are approximations:
-ASF changes:
--MassCost 400 ---> 1000
--RateOfFire -50%
--Damage +200%
--MaxAirSpeed +20%
--Acceleration -50%
--Turn speed -30%
--Fuel --> 7 minutes
--FiringTolerance -80%

(Summary: New ASF should lose to new T1/T2 interceptors, but maintain effectiveness vs T3 and T4 air.)

-T1/T2 Interceptor:
--TurningSpeed + 20%
--FiringRange +10%
--FiringTolerance +200%

(Summary: Basically, this should allow T1/T2 interceptors to cost-effectively kill ASFs that wander too close.)

Carriers:
-Health +50% (except Atlantis)
-AA range + 200%
-Cybran cruise: AA projectiles track

This is what I'd start with. Trying not to change too much too fast.

I like this! Daring and yet wisely restrained. I take it the line I highlighted actually refer to the cybran carrier rather than cruiser (whose projectiles already track)?
Firestarter
Crusader

Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Firestarter

Postby Pathogenic » 12 Mar 2013, 21:05

I would personally rather have no changes to ASFs than any of the currently proposed drastic changes.
Pathogenic

PreviousNext

Return to Patch 3622