Fixing ASF lag/swarm.

Re: Fixing ASF lag/swarm.

Postby rootbeer23 » 28 Feb 2013, 09:58

stalewee wrote:
rootbeer23 wrote:t3 strategic bombers are a bit OP. it would be better if they had half the dps and double the health with no cost change.

+1, although that would be a pretty big nerf. It would be pretty easy to ensure that they only get one pass using sams.

how it would be easier to kill bombers in 1 pass if they had 2* HP eludes me.

stalewee wrote:If the static shield nerf is taken out then maybe strats are fine.

that may be true. but i still think it would be worthwhile to nerf them in a situation where they are very strong (ACU snipe) and open up usage scenarios for them (base bombing). As it stands, if you currently use strategic bombers to bomb infrastructure, you are in most cases giving mass donations to your enemy.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby Eukanuba » 28 Feb 2013, 15:27

If strat bombers had 8000HP you would need twice as many ASFs to take them out. I'm not understanding the thinking behind this suggestion.
Eukanuba
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Eukanuba

Postby rootbeer23 » 28 Feb 2013, 20:47

Eukanuba wrote:If strat bombers had 8000HP you would need twice as many ASFs to take them out. I'm not understanding the thinking behind this suggestion.

you have more time to shoot it down, but thats not the point.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby VoiceofReason » 28 Feb 2013, 21:40

Recommendation;

1. Automatically have ForgedAlliance.exe start with "Above Normal," or, "High" priority in task manager. ( Is this doable? )

2. Allow hardware profiles attached to FAF accounts.(I beleive FAF already monitors hardware configs to sniff out smurfs) <---- Purpose, still to be defined; Either it just gives hosts and players the option to go and check if everyone in his lobby can handle the map they are about to play on, or .... Thoughts are, an auto limiter, A selection in the gamelobby options that, based on map size you can refuse connections from computers with insufficient cpu/ram/gpu quantity/speeds.

For example. I personally would never want to play a 20k phantom, or setons with anyone owning a Pentium D processor, or a cheap dualcore if not any.

5k and 10k maps would have no limitations. 20k maps and larger is where players should really be choosy and be aware of their own limitations.

This is my suggestion to fixing/limiting swarm lag.
VoiceofReason
Priest

Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 53 times
FAF User Name: VoRCom

Postby Ze_PilOt » 28 Feb 2013, 21:59

Overkill mod doesn't work well.
Domino did something too, not tested.

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic. ... ll#p944364

You will have to provide me some code if you want it.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby stalewee » 28 Feb 2013, 22:56

rootbeer23 wrote:how it would be easier to kill bombers in 1 pass if they had 2* HP eludes me.

Not easier, but more beneficial because the damage is front-loaded. It's hard to take them out with sams before they get a bomb off because they drop it early. Then the sams get a lot of time to kill them before the second pass. So you can't stop the first pass with sams but you can stop the second.

So if the first bomb does half damage, then sams would be more effective against snipes.
stalewee
Contributor

Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: stalewee

Postby Sunny » 01 Mar 2013, 12:45

stalewee wrote:So you can't stop the first pass with sams but you can stop the second.

It was the problem in Vanilla. T3 SAMs killed T3 Bombers in 1 pass (mb even 1 SAM killed 2), but bomber's 6k dmg bomb was dropped in advance, still hitting the comm.

Then they did basically what you suggest. The made bombers relatively more durable and bomb 3k dmg.
Now it's MUCH worse, as bombers gonna have 2nd and 3rd (4th?) passes as well. Hell, you even can SAVE bombers if you feel bad about commiting them in the middle of attempt to kill the comm.

Before, if took like 20-60 bombers to kill the comm for sure, like 30-40 to go through 2 constant lines of SAMs. Now it's less, than 20. Only ASFs can effectively kill them.

They gave too much HP to all air units, this was done on purpose, to bring air back in game for sure, and to make it's HP related to land units' and make it more clear balancable. Once again, HP buff was initially planned as an overkill, it was supposed to be further balanced. Restorer spam was one of examples of major balance leaks, following exactly this rebalance. The balancing job in this aspect was supposed to be continued, but never did.

I would
1. Make them a bit slower, so that T1 inties would keep up and close distance slowly, mb like 5% slower, than inties.
2. I would nerf HPs of T3 sams 1,5-2 times (yes, use shields) and would buff it's dps 2 or 3 times. Their main purpose is not being balanced mass for mass vs air, but to kill air FAST, mb even being fragile themselves (real life situation btw).
Sunny

FAF User Name: Sunny

Re: Balance Test Mod.

Postby Firestarter » 01 Mar 2013, 23:36

Also, the most voted change is currently impossible (there is no overkill control mod working properly)

80% of the benefit of such a mod might be gained by the much simpler method of adjusting the SAM fire cycle to fire more evenly (rather than in bursts) and perhaps more missiles but keep the same dps. Increased missile velocity would also help avoid overkill with little other effect.
Firestarter
Crusader

Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Firestarter

Postby ColonelSheppard » 01 Mar 2013, 23:39

it doesnt matter if a SAM waste's 20 x 100dmg shots or 1 x 2000dmg shot :roll:
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Xenopod » 02 Mar 2013, 01:36

What if SAM's did not waste shots? Just an Idea.

Would it be possible for the SAM to engage more than one target at a time? Lets say 5 at time.
Xenopod

FAF User Name: Xenopod

PreviousNext

Return to Patch 3622