Galatic War Relaunch

Galatic War Relaunch

Postby Eximius » 29 Sep 2014, 13:02

Hello Everyone,
We are likely going to relaunch Galactic War whenever we have the chance. GW will be as it was with maybe tweaks to reinforcements and galaxy map, it will be a beta and expect mass wipes, this thread is here to gauge balance and brainstorm any potential ideas for GW's future. Here is a short questionnaire regarding balance, galaxy and a few ideas.

Note that the lobby GW UI will be improved, but I won't make any concrete mock-ups for that :)

I am very interested in adding new features to GW and please don't be afraid to propose anything at all!

I read about Duck_42 making randomly generated maps and that's really cool, I'd personally love having a randomized galaxy.

"Sub-Commanders" might be a cool feature too if we made it work with my shared armies mod as Gorton suggested. I don't personally see AIs themselves that good as not all maps have ai markers and the AI will leech all of your eco by snagging them mexes.

Discuss!
Eximius
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: Eximius

Re: Galatic War Relaunch

Postby Cuddles » 29 Sep 2014, 21:20

Do you know what the original plan was for GW , hopefully my brain is not too full of cheese but i'm sure Zep said it started before even he took it on?

Also with PA having a GW can we still use the name?
Turinturambar defended very valiantly
Cuddles
Contributor

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 118 times
FAF User Name: Scoot

Postby Eximius » 29 Sep 2014, 21:42

Uber doesn't seem to have trademarked it (would be silly of them).

I don't know about the original plan, but I will take up the responsibility, if I am allowed to, to:
  • Bring Galactic War back.
  • Improve it.
Eximius
Crusader

Postby pip » 29 Sep 2014, 21:48

I can't answer most of the questions because it was too long ago. I simply don't remember. As for the maps, a significant amount were not good enough or had some issue. I think excluding the problematic maps that were not fixed is a priority before reopening GW, because there is already a document to sort out the maps:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... ring#gid=0
Then replacing the problematic ones by new maps (lot of new ones were created over a year, including Duck_42's), and it's possible to keep the last amount of maps Zep stopped at, with only decent maps.

Also, at some point, it would be cool to allow Nomads engineers / units to be hired as mercenaries, or even to inhabit certain neutral planets that would need to cleared (players would have to fight against Nomads AI on some unclaimed planets instead of being able to occupy them without a fight). There could also be some random attacks from Nomads AI / players, since they are a kind of space pirates, to stir things up. Just some ideas, might be complicated to code.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby D4E_Omit » 29 Sep 2014, 22:53

If wanted, tomorrow I can go through the map vault and search for a fair few maps without problems to add to galactic war. I got time to search for 50ish I think.. (5ish hours of time)

Also about sub-commanders, I think it's a good feature to attract new players. I think alot of people would rather play with an AI help on their side instead of 1v1 against the veterans.. But I'm not sure if it's easy to implement.
Sometimes, I just feel like I want to eat pancakes.
D4E_Omit

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: D4E_Omit

Postby rootbeer23 » 29 Sep 2014, 22:58

i am rather sureish this has been done already.
the last round of GW had a large map pool.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby D4E_Omit » 29 Sep 2014, 23:15

rootbeer23 wrote:i am rather sureish this has been done already.
the last round of GW had a large map pool.

Most of the maps were not tested right or were never fixed, so most were flawed. Like world border bug, extremely unbalanced, wrong spawns.. Meaning that most maps weren't playable, and not to mention how newbie unfriendly that is..
Sometimes, I just feel like I want to eat pancakes.
D4E_Omit

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: D4E_Omit

Postby Dragonfire » 29 Sep 2014, 23:36

I fixed a lot of GW maps !

For GW Ressources, e.g. suggestions, take a look at my ressource thread:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8586
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Dragonfire

Postby Eximius » 29 Sep 2014, 23:59

I updated the form to clear some confusion as to what Clan Factions might mean. I changed the name to 'Galactic War Companies'. You can imagine it as a clan for GW, but let's name it as 'company' for now.

The idea is to allow players to form companies themselves. These companies could potentially control their own little piece of land. They could form/break alliances with other companies as well. They would be rivals to other companies and would fight for supremacy in the galaxy. Lone players might join companies that are recruiting.
Eximius
Crusader

Postby Gerfand » 30 Sep 2014, 01:24

Cuddles wrote:Also with PA having a GW can we still use the name?

Yep, its a generic name!
Gerfand

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 7 times

Next

Return to Galactic War