Galactic War is getting made

Re: Galactic War is getting made

Postby Firestarter » 27 Sep 2017, 22:24

Two thoughts which i hope would be have a good payoff-to-investment ratio:

1) Featured mod-wise, can a (ressurected) civ-defense or king of the hill ("hold while we find this key intel/character hidden in the area") game be included now and then? Increases narrative feel hugely and allows for variation in game types. I would expect this would not be the first thing done but would be -relatively- painless to implement.

2) could we consider including some AI players in factions (AIx, probably no omni for allying purposes) to act as 'basic grunt' characters. Maybe even 'undefended' worlds get an AI defender so at least the attacker gets a (rather easy) game to make up for their waiting if no defender shows. Benefits: makes battles and the universe feel bigger, makes all players feel like heroes and great players feared across the galaxy, allows (if desired) factions to randomly attack or defend during less populated server hours. Bonus: players who feel like they can always at least get a game (that has some narrative effect) will be more likely to log in and play at these times, and will therefore encounter one another! I'm guessing a random probability of entering an AIx into a game on either side would be pretty easy to code? . More advanced features (eg faction 'generals' prioritising which worlds get AI support) could be left to later and added in a bit at a time.
Firestarter
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Firestarter

Postby Brutus5000 » 28 Sep 2017, 13:30

Erich von Manstein wrote:One thing is missing: if all defenders leave/none show up, is it an automatic win for the attackers?

Yes, then it is an auto-win.

Firestarter wrote:1) Featured mod-wise, can a (ressurected) civ-defense or king of the hill ("hold while we find this key intel/character hidden in the area") game be included now and then? Increases narrative feel hugely and allows for variation in game types. I would expect this would not be the first thing done but would be -relatively- painless to implement.

You would need to fix them to work with the latest FAF patch. But even then I don't think this is possible, because you can only use one featured mod at a time and right now this mod would be a dedicated gw-mod.

I had thought of upgrading planets like T1-T2-T3 stage and producing resources and/or units on planets (making the meta-game a little more like FA itself). In this case civilian defense would make sense to save some of the ressources you invested. But right now there are no concrete plans in this direction.

Firestarter wrote:2) could we consider including some AI players in factions (AIx, probably no omni for allying purposes) to act as 'basic grunt' characters. Maybe even 'undefended' worlds get an AI defender so at least the attacker gets a (rather easy) game to make up for their waiting if no defender shows. Benefits: makes battles and the universe feel bigger, makes all players feel like heroes and great players feared across the galaxy, allows (if desired) factions to randomly attack or defend during less populated server hours. Bonus: players who feel like they can always at least get a game (that has some narrative effect) will be more likely to log in and play at these times, and will therefore encounter one another! I'm guessing a random probability of entering an AIx into a game on either side would be pretty easy to code? . More advanced features (eg faction 'generals' prioritising which worlds get AI support) could be left to later and added in a bit at a time.

I thougt about this before. One of the main problems of GW is probably the uneven numbers of players per faction.
So the faction with the most players could simply assault planets while all defenders are busy elsewhere.
An AI would slow down the time to "rush" a planet.

I don't know if we can do it, but I will consider it.
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Postby Exotic_Retard » 28 Sep 2017, 14:12

actually about the game modes. these are featured mods mostly because they change the lobby. the thing about featured mods is that they use inits and so can change other things. sim side we can do whatever.

so, we can just merge the functionality we want into GW and even do it on a per map basis, where the details are loaded from the map or some server config. Point is, its perfectly possible, but may require some work™
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby EcoNoob » 29 Sep 2017, 15:29

Brutus5000 wrote:I thougt about this before. One of the main problems of GW is probably the uneven numbers of players per faction.

I'm not sure how many would mind, but why not assign every player to a faction instead of letting them choose? Will probably result in way better balanced teams.
EcoNoob

Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 70 times
FAF User Name: EcoNoob

Postby Farmsletje » 29 Sep 2017, 15:32

Better teams? yes.
Less fun? yes.

A lot of lower rated players only play 1 faction and are bad with other factions. Forcing them to change their faction if they want to play GW will probably lead to a decrease in participants (when GW is launched).
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby FtXCommando » 29 Sep 2017, 20:30

Farmsletje wrote:A lot of lower rated players only play 1 faction

>:
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Exotic_Retard » 29 Sep 2017, 21:02

also you know when you have friends (its rare, i know) and you want to maybe play in the same faction together? well now you can! or maybe cant if this is put in!
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby speed2 » 30 Sep 2017, 00:26

New reinforcements beacons:

Thanks to Exotic_Retard for making the Seraphim beacon.
All factions used to have the same beacon (cybran one). Now each faction has a unique beacon.
Spoiler: show
Slightly increased model size (little smaller than a wall)
selection box and hitbox adjusted
added sounds for selection and destruction
added wreckage when destroyed
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Brutus5000 » 14 Oct 2017, 13:33

I finally found the time to look over and merge your contributions for the name generators of Characters and Solar Systems. Awesome work! Saved me a lot of work and probably was more thought-through than anything I would have come up with. :mrgreen:
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Postby ShlipyShlapySlop » 23 Oct 2017, 21:55

Awesome! If that work was worthwhile, are there other similar tasks you'd want to delegate at the moment? Are you still looking to organize a map pool and sort them for planet types?
ShlipyShlapySlop
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: ShlipyShlapySlop

PreviousNext

Return to Galactic War