The Ugly next Lobby 2.6.0

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Re: The Ugly next Lobby 2.6.0

Postby IceDreamer » 03 Jan 2015, 23:19

Only PNG. It's making a big difference on my slower machine!
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Xinnony » 03 Jan 2015, 23:33

IceDreamer wrote:Someone on github should have seen the problem before it was merged. I think Xinnony did, but for god knows what reason he chose to not say anything, instead blowing it out of proportion here.

Let's not forget this has not made it main game, and would have been spotted once we went to final QA before releasing a patch!

I warned that his changes would cause more problem in different place !!!

Must stop taking me for a fool Ice !
Xinnony
Contributor

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Xinnony

Postby IceDreamer » 04 Jan 2015, 00:17

Well, after all that's said and done, thank you Xinnony for reporting this. The problem is now fixed :)
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Xinnony » 04 Jan 2015, 07:18

I need reports all the problems not here before, just because you accept anythings and other devlopper create this problems on my scripts ...
Xinnony
Contributor

Postby ckitching » 05 Jan 2015, 15:07

Xinnony wrote:I need reports all the problems not here before, just because you accept anythings and other devlopper create this problems on my scripts ...

Here's a list of user-visible bugs in the lobby that I've fixed in the last two weeks. This list includes only problems that were present in the code when I arrived: it doesn't count problems I created and subsequently fixed (we refer to those as "regressions"):

- When the host swaps two players, both of them now have the ready flag cleared.
- Removed extra space around "Rerun CPU benchmark" button.
- Made "Random faction" skin load in the lobby (previously it would just show the UEF skin all the time).
- Fixed a problem preventing player colours from being updated correctly.
- Prevented CPU benchmark from continuing to run once the lobby has been left or the game started (causing lag at the start of games)
- Players selecting "random faction" now get the factional skin for the faction they end up playing as once the game starts (unless they turned factional skins off)
- Rank and CPU benchmark score now show up for observers (instead of "nil"). You can now determine which observer would help balance your game :D
- Missing dropshadow from "Rating" number (was inconsistent with the "Games" number next to it)
- Custom backgrounds now work in "Skirmish" mode.
- The button label for Skirmish mode's "Load" button is now properly centered (and a few other little visual twiddles)
- The large map preview no longer has a highly-pixelated bordr, but a nice, sharp one.

Some nice things that users probably won't notice too much:
- The amount of lobby-specific code has been reduced by about 20%. This should make future development faster.
- The lobby now loads somewhat faster (~1s on my test machine. Maybe more substantial on very old machines)
- The lobby UI in will be somewhat more responsive in a few very specific places. The colour selector doesn't incur a UI rebuild each time it's flipped any more, so that'll lag *very slightly* less, for example.

I'm not the only one to make contributions during the period. IceDreamer did (at least) the following:
- Cleanup many, many tooltips
- Correct various spelling mistakes that showed up in the UI (and some code comments) "ennabled", "developper", etc.
- Stopped the "Lobby Presets" menu's buttons from overflowing its container.
- Vastly helped me fixing the dds image quality regression that started this thread.
- More regression testing than any sane person should have to endure (seriously, it was awesome)
- Fixed LAN games for Steam users.

And of course other people did useful work this cycle, too - this is just the stuff I can remember quickly. Go read the commit history for all the gory details.

Sheeo and I discuss substantive patches, perform code review, and aggressively squash any regressions that emerge. The new version just shipped and, after a bumpy few hours, now appears regression-free.

To sum up: It is not the case that problems exist "just because you accept anythings and other devlopper create this problems on my scripts". There were problems before: it is seeing them when playing that motivated me to start contributing. The claim that everything was fine and now I'm coming along and breaking it is materially false.

I have demonstrably fixed more problems than I have created, as have the rest of the team.
You could've been helpful to us during this cycle, but instead you have apparently expended far more energy writing barely-coherent rants than doing actual work. You then wonder why people don't take your opinions seriously.

Will you please stop yelling at me now?
ckitching

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: ckitching

The Ugly next Lobby 2.6.0

Postby Ze_PilOt » 05 Jan 2015, 15:40

@Xinnony Ze_Pilot has not measured it. I told him how to measure it, he continues to claim it cannot possibly be faster.

Until he can be bothered to qualify his statements with facts, it seems futile to continue to try and talk to him.

Do you really think I did it for no reason? That Sheeo would approve changing 223 images for no apparent gain? That'd be ridiculous.

"he continues to claim it cannot possibly be faster." No I did not. You should start to be a little less con-descendant, that would help greatly people accepting your changes. Rootbeer was the one that still emitted doubt after you told me how to measure it.

On my part:
I've said I have my doubts. Only got a "it takes less time on my old laptop", without any explanation on a benchmark protocol (just feeling for what it worth), and from a guy that I can't really rely on when it come to facts, honesty and overall comprehension of a problem.
THEN ONLY AFTER you came with your test protocol. And I've said "okay, it has some gain, but it's still a PITA, so please automate it in a toolchain" : /viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9140&start=20#p90246

Otherwise, I find it futile to discuss with people who are hostile towards everyone that are not in their little group, so I will stop.

That Sheeo would approve changing 223 images for no apparent gain?

That wouldn't be the first thing he approves without thinking about it.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby IceDreamer » 05 Jan 2015, 18:35

Ze_PilOt - Since you seem to be watching this thread... I took your casual advice from an earlier post somewhere and there's now a repo for art asset masters like photoshop, gimp or whatever original source material was used. Do you have any such files lying around, such as from creating Galactic War, or just the general client UI, that you could upload so that we have every available resource?

Same for you Xinnony, the sources you used to create the awesome lobby visuals would be great for the community to have access to.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Xinnony » 05 Jan 2015, 19:35

ckitching wrote:- Prevented CPU benchmark from continuing to run once the lobby has been left or the game started (causing lag at the start of games)
I'm not touch, not MY script.

ckitching wrote:- Players selecting "random faction" now get the factional skin for the faction they end up playing as once the game starts (unless they turned factional skins off)
Always worked

ckitching wrote:- Rank and CPU benchmark score now show up for observers (instead of "nil"). You can now determine which observer would help balance your game :D
I fixed this ...

ckitching wrote:- Missing dropshadow from "Rating" number (was inconsistent with the "Games" number next to it)
You know why Rating number not have Shadow ?

ckitching wrote:- Custom backgrounds now work in "Skirmish" mode.
Worked before !

ckitching wrote:- Removed extra space around "Rerun CPU benchmark" button.
- The button label for Skirmish mode's "Load" button is now properly centered (and a few other little visual twiddles)
Small typo

ckitching wrote:- The large map preview no longer has a highly-pixelated bordr, but a nice, sharp one.
Good

Now with your help you :
- Try deleting Map Background option because you not like
- Fucked the DoubleClick in slot for move easyli
- You remove 'Hide system message' because you not know how work MY script
- Remove Credits in Lobby
- Revert to fucked DDS
- Unit Manager not work
- Now you can move player on slot 12 with 2 slots maps
- Kick not work perfectly
- Lobby Preset have a bug now
- Lobby Preset have a fucked UI too

ckitching wrote:I'm not the only one to make contributions during the period. IceDreamer did (at least) the following:
- Vastly helped me fixing the dds image quality regression that started this thread.
- Stopped the "Lobby Presets" menu's buttons from overflowing its container.
Caused by you

ckitching wrote:- Fixed LAN games for Steam users.
For this i asked to Sheeo two fix, but not agree, but if you talk to about it will be accepted easily and quickly.

ckitching wrote:To sum up: It is not the case that problems exist "just because you accept anythings and other devlopper create this problems on my scripts". There were problems before: it is seeing them when playing that motivated me to start contributing. The claim that everything was fine and now I'm coming along and breaking it is materially false.
To sum up: You create a new problems too on change my worked script.

ckitching wrote:Will you please stop yelling at me now?
If you continue to fucked all my script, never !

I will submit some thing you delete, you can just take care of other things this time.

If you been looking for inspiration, I let you look a category who contain many bugs or improvements to do, I give you the link in case you can not find it : https://github.com/FAForever/fa/issues
Last edited by Xinnony on 05 Jan 2015, 20:06, edited 5 times in total.
Xinnony
Contributor

Postby Xinnony » 05 Jan 2015, 19:38

IceDreamer wrote:Same for you Xinnony, the sources you used to create the awesome lobby visuals would be great for the community to have access to.

Yes i have the original PSD
Xinnony
Contributor

Postby Ze_PilOt » 05 Jan 2015, 20:24

IceDreamer wrote:Ze_PilOt - Since you seem to be watching this thread... I took your casual advice from an earlier post somewhere and there's now a repo for art asset masters like photoshop, gimp or whatever original source material was used. Do you have any such files lying around, such as from creating Galactic War, or just the general client UI, that you could upload so that we have every available resource?

Same for you Xinnony, the sources you used to create the awesome lobby visuals would be great for the community to have access to.

I don't think I have PSD sources for GW - it's mostly textures directly rendered in jpg/png. AFAIK they are not under repository, I hope they are still on the new server...
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

PreviousNext

Return to Contributors